Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Please rate my new machine config...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please rate my new machine config...

post #1 of 43
Thread Starter 
Hi all i am planning to upgrade my old pc which i have a thread going on
http://www.overclock.net/t/1336199/should-i-upgrade-my-cpu-for-the-graphics-card

If i am supposed to buy a new PC i have the following configuration on mind... I would be using the PC to browse, watch movies and play games in 1080p resolution on my Samsung series 5 32" LED TV. Please rate this configuration.

Mother board: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP
Processor: Intel-Core i5 3570 or i5 3470
RAM: Gskill Ares 16GB 1600 MHZ (9-9-9-24)
GFX Card: Radeon HD 7870 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131476)
Chassis: Cooler Master Case Silencio 550
PSU: Cooler Master GX 550W
Xtra: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - to play games on TV to get console effect smile.gif


Kindly let me know your thoughts of boosting the system for pure gaming on 1080p smile.gif

Sorry i think i have posted about new PC in wrong section. Moderator can you please move this thread to appropriate section. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Edited by Pravin19 - 12/9/12 at 6:32am
post #2 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravin19 View Post

Hi all i am planning to upgrade my old pc which i have a thread going on
http://www.overclock.net/t/1336199/should-i-upgrade-my-cpu-for-the-graphics-card
If i am supposed to buy a new PC i have the following configuration on mind... I would be using the PC to browse, watch movies and play games in 1080p resolution on my Samsung series 5 32" LED TV. Please rate this configuration.
Mother board: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP
Processor: Intel-Core i5 3570 or i5 3470
RAM: Gskill Ares 16GB 1600 MHZ (9-9-9-24)
GFX Card: Radeon HD 7870 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131476)
Chassis: Cooler Master Case Silencio 550
PSU: Cooler Master GX 550W
Xtra: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows - to play games on TV to get console effect smile.gif
Kindly let me know your thoughts of boosting the system for pure gaming on 1080p smile.gif
Sorry i think i have posted about new PC in wrong section. Moderator can you please move this thread to appropriate section. Sorry for the inconvenience.

The cpu and mobo combination you chose cant be overclocked,
and you haven't stated your total budget for these parts ,

Still here is what i suggest

Intel i5 3570k
MSI Z77 G45 / Gigabyte Z77 D3H(Consider giga mobo if you got sufficient budget, and secondly i wont suggest asrock boards their vrm and pwms are of mediocre quality on most boards, so stick with msi,asus,gigabyte for now)
Ram is fine !
Take gtx 660 ti instead (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125441)
Chasis Corsair 400R
Psu Corsair GS 600 Bronze new revision(Although you would be fine with 500 too but keeping in mind overclocking and a bit headroom 600 is preferable)

And with that get Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler to keep you cpu cool while overclocking. thumb.gif
Edited by ghost_z - 12/9/12 at 6:41am
post #3 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_z View Post

The cpu and mobo combination you chose cant be overclocked,
and you haven't stated your total budget for these parts ,
Still here is what i suggest
Intel i5 3570k
MSI Z77 G45 / Gigabyte Z77 D3H(Consider giga mobo if you got sufficient budget, and secondly i wont suggest asrock boards their vrm and pwms are of mediocre quality on most boards, so stick with msi,asus,gigabyte for now)
Ram is fine !
Take gtx 660 ti instead (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125441)
Chasis Corsair 400R
Psu Corsair GS 600 Bronze new revision(Although you would be fine with 500 too but keeping in mind overclocking and a bit headroom 600 is preferable)
And with that get Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler to keep you cpu cool while overclocking. thumb.gif

Thanks for the reply... but in the case if i am not into overclocking can you just modify the config suggested by you. Budget would be around 60k (1200$ USD). Does overclocking reduces the life of the hardware ??? I haven't tried before. Can you tell me the benefits and cons of overclocking ?

Also if in case of overclocking how about ASRock Z77 Pro 3 or ASRock Z77 Pro4 motherboard...

If overclocking is required and gives very good results without doing much harm to the hardware. I would consider it.
Edited by Pravin19 - 12/9/12 at 6:53am
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravin19 View Post

Thanks for the reply... but in the case if i am not into overclocking can you just modify the config suggested by you. Budget would be around 60k (1200$ USD). Does overclocking reduces the life of the hardware ??? I haven't tried before. Can you tell me the benefits and cons of overclocking ?
I suspected so seeing your name, you are form India right ok then in 60k

This is what i will suggest

i5 3550 12k
Gigabyte b75 d3h 4.2k
Gskill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2.8k
Gigabyte gtx 670 26k
Corsair 400R 4.9k
Corsair GS600 4.4k

Total 55k, you still have 4-5 k spare and if you want you can very well get overclockable rig in this

just change cpu to i5 3570k for 13.8k

and MSI Z77 G45 for 7.7k

total 6k difference if you take overclockable parts, imo it will be within 61-62k and will be a better investment ! thumb.gif

Non competitive overclocking does not reduce the life of you components much, anyways you won't probably use the same components for more than 5-6 years, so don't worry about that, and btw overclocking means free performance boost, the risks associated are minimal if you learn overclocking properly and be a little cautious while doing so, patience is the key while overclocking smile.gif
Edited by ghost_z - 12/9/12 at 6:58am
post #5 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_z View Post

I suspected so seeing your name, you are form India right ok then in 60k
This is what i will suggest
i5 3550 12k
Gigabyte b75 d3h 4.2k
Gskill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2.8k
Gigabyte gtx 670 26k
Corsair 400R 4.9k
Corsair GS600 4.4k
Total 55k, you still have 4-5 k spare and if you want you can very well get overclockable rig in this
just change cpu to i5 3570k for 13.8k
and MSI Z77 G45 for 7.7k
total 6k difference if you take overclockable parts, imo it will be within 61-62k and will be a better investment ! thumb.gif
Non competitive overclocking does not reduce the life of you components much, anyways you won't probably use the same components for more than 5-6 years, so don't worry about that, and btw overclocking means free performance boost, the risks associated are minimal if you learn overclocking properly and be a little cautious while doing so, patience is the key while overclocking smile.gif

Yeah i am from India smile.gif My relative coming from US next month. So i thought about ordering GFX card from US (Newegg). Within 250$ - 300$ for graphics card range i think you gave 660ti having better edge than 7870. but GTX 670 is out of my pocket. But i can consider that tongue.gif if it would be a future proof say, 3 - 5 yrs. I had my 3870 roasted within 4yrs of purchase tongue.gif
post #6 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_z View Post

I suspected so seeing your name, you are form India right ok then in 60k
This is what i will suggest
i5 3550 12k
Gigabyte b75 d3h 4.2k
Gskill Ripjaws X 2x4GB 2.8k
Gigabyte gtx 670 26k
Corsair 400R 4.9k
Corsair GS600 4.4k
Total 55k, you still have 4-5 k spare and if you want you can very well get overclockable rig in this
just change cpu to i5 3570k for 13.8k
and MSI Z77 G45 for 7.7k
total 6k difference if you take overclockable parts, imo it will be within 61-62k and will be a better investment ! thumb.gif
Non competitive overclocking does not reduce the life of you components much, anyways you won't probably use the same components for more than 5-6 years, so don't worry about that, and btw overclocking means free performance boost, the risks associated are minimal if you learn overclocking properly and be a little cautious while doing so, patience is the key while overclocking smile.gif

Yeah i am from India smile.gif My relative coming from US next month. So i thought about ordering GFX card from US (Newegg). Within 250$ - 300$ for graphics card range i think you gave 660ti having better edge than 7870. but GTX 670 is out of my pocket. But i can consider that tongue.gif if it would be a future proof say, 3 - 5 yrs. I had my 3870 roasted within 4yrs of purchase tongue.gif

If i am into overclocking i think the first person i have to bug about knowing how to do it will be you tongue.gif
Edited by Pravin19 - 12/9/12 at 7:05am
post #7 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravin19 View Post

Yeah i am from India smile.gif My relative coming from US next month. So i thought about ordering GFX card from US (Newegg). Within 250$ - 300$ for graphics card range i think you gave 660ti having better edge than 7870. but GTX 670 is out of my pocket. But i can consider that tongue.gif if it would be a future proof say, 3 - 5 yrs. I had my 3870 roasted within 4yrs of purchase tongue.gif
You said you got 60k budget and i included a gtx 670 in it then whats there to think about why would you consider gtx 660 ti or hd 7870 if you can very well get a gtx 670 ?
BTW i missed one thing you have to buy a 2.2k cpu cooler too, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo !
Moreover why not buy this stuff from India itself, you will get warranty which you might not get with every component bought form US !
Edited by ghost_z - 12/9/12 at 7:08am
post #8 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pravin19 View Post

If i am into overclocking i think the first person i have to bug about knowing how to do it will be you tongue.gif

Sure no issues will help you when you need my help thumb.gif
post #9 of 43
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_z View Post

You said you got 60k budget and i included a gtx 670 in it then whats there to think about why would you consider gtx 660 ti or hd 7870 if you can very well get a gtx 670 ?
BTW i missed one thing you have to buy a 2.2k cpu cooler too, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo !
Moreover why not buy this stuff from India itself, you will get warranty which you might not get with every component bought form US !

Your rates seems very less than i see in my local store in chennai. Which shop you are refering for price of the components you have listed. I would even buy it from then if they courier me...
post #10 of 43
Really if you want a cheap computer that will satisfy your needs I would just get a i3 3220 + Asrock H77M Mobo + 8GB 1866 DDR3 set and the Cheap Corsair 500watt PS. My brother just got that and a 7770GE and he's been liking it alot. That CPU should have no problem with a 7870 or 7950 (get this one if you plan on overclocking). Honestly finding a decent P45 board for a decent price may be hard, but deals do happen every now and then. Gigabyte UD3P boards and others like it are #1 if you can find them, just look for ones with cooling on the VRM's if you are trying to get a new mobo for your current setup. Though if you do plan on sticking with your Q8400 you need to Overclock, if your not going to get it to 3.6ghz with a decent cooler then just upgrade to a i3 or better.

If you do go i5 fork out the money for the K version and overclock. Any Quality Brand power supply will do fine, You will be fine on a 400w PS even with a 7950 so don't worry about wattage. Though I would still get the 500watt for some breathing room atleast tongue.gif

If your not going to Overclock that i5 for the majority of games that still really only use two cores, because the clock speed at stock are pretty close the i5's wont really game much better then the i3's. So if going for a pure gaming machine get the i3, the ivy bridge ones are pretty nice IMO. Overclocking on the other hard comes in handy and can offer large performance boosts. A overclocked i5 2500k or better would be a better investment down the road if you want your next upgrade to last longer. Going from a stock Q8400 to a i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz is a pretty big jump, you wouldn't regret it.
Edited by DzillaXx - 12/9/12 at 7:25am
Red Dragon
(19 items)
 
HTPC
(20 items)
 
HomeServer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8ghz Asrock p67 Extreme4 GTX1080 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 9-11-11-31 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x 640 WD blacks Raid 0 Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 512GB SSD Sandisk 1TB SSD Samsung 470 Series 128GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 10 64bit Microboard m340clz 100hz 3440x1440 Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
TX850 HAF922 Logitech G502 Creative Sound Blaster Z  
AudioAudioAudio
Elac B6 & Dayton Audio SUB-800 Yamaha HTR-5790 Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4GHZ Gigabyte EP45 UD3P GTX470 4GB OCZ Reaper 1150mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 500gb OCZ Vertex 2 60GB LG Bluray Corsair H50 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium  Logitech K400 Corsair CX500 nMEDIAPC 6000B 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Yamaha HTR-5063 PS3 80GB BC PS3 with 250GB hard drive. Polk Audio Monitor 60s Bi-AMP Front Polk Audio Monitor 30s Rear 
OtherOther
Polk Audio CS1 Center Polk Audio PSW10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon Harpertown 3.6ghz Asus P5Q SE/R HD7770 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 2TB Hitachi 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate 2TB Western Digital 1TB Hitachi Windows Home Server 2011 
Power
Corsair CX500 
  hide details  
Reply
Red Dragon
(19 items)
 
HTPC
(20 items)
 
HomeServer
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K @4.8ghz Asrock p67 Extreme4 GTX1080 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 9-11-11-31 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x 640 WD blacks Raid 0 Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 512GB SSD Sandisk 1TB SSD Samsung 470 Series 128GB SSD 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
XSPC Raystorm Windows 10 64bit Microboard m340clz 100hz 3440x1440 Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
TX850 HAF922 Logitech G502 Creative Sound Blaster Z  
AudioAudioAudio
Elac B6 & Dayton Audio SUB-800 Yamaha HTR-5790 Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9550 @ 4GHZ Gigabyte EP45 UD3P GTX470 4GB OCZ Reaper 1150mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Blue 500gb OCZ Vertex 2 60GB LG Bluray Corsair H50 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Home Premium  Logitech K400 Corsair CX500 nMEDIAPC 6000B 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Yamaha HTR-5063 PS3 80GB BC PS3 with 250GB hard drive. Polk Audio Monitor 60s Bi-AMP Front Polk Audio Monitor 30s Rear 
OtherOther
Polk Audio CS1 Center Polk Audio PSW10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon Harpertown 3.6ghz Asus P5Q SE/R HD7770 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 5TB Toshiba 2TB Hitachi 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
2TB Seagate 2TB Western Digital 1TB Hitachi Windows Home Server 2011 
Power
Corsair CX500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Please rate my new machine config...