Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Blew out colours on my IPS panel.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blew out colours on my IPS panel.

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I got my U2713HM few days ago and from seeing Shimian in real life and some 24' IPS in store the colours are completely terrible. Last few days I'm really upset with it and really thinking about giving it back.
Today, I compared it with my laptopt which is 99.9% TN display and what a surprise, the Dell at 85 brightness looks EXACTLY the same as the notebook on 100. There is no colour difference. What should I do with it? Would trying some colour profiles help (where do i find them?)? I've tried all the settings and got nothing from it. Wouldn't the included CD fix it (i don't have CD drive and didn't find download). Maybe driver settings?
Also the viewing angles are nothing like promised, looks completely different from photos on internet. As I change angle of the look the monitor colours get's a little better and in the last 50 degrees they just go completely washed out - almost grey and screen goes very dark.
If AH-IPS with half AG coating is supposed to look exactly like cheap TN screen, I'm returning it and getting 120hz xl2411t or something. Not throwing out $650 bucks like this for just 1440p.
Edited by Layo - 12/10/12 at 12:28am
A computer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte GTX780ti 4x4GB Kingston Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB Don't have Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Dell U2713HM Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair 650W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 300R Logitech G502 SS Qck Cheap 5.1 speakers/HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
A computer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte GTX780ti 4x4GB Kingston Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB Don't have Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Dell U2713HM Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair 650W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 300R Logitech G502 SS Qck Cheap 5.1 speakers/HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layo View Post

I got my U2713HM few days ago and from seeing Shimian in real life and some 24' IPS in store the colours are completely terrible. Last few days I'm really upset with it and really thinking about giving it back.
Today, I compared it with my laptopt which is 99.9% TN display and what a surprise, the Dell at 85 brightness looks EXACTLY the same as the notebook on 100. There is no colour difference. What should I do with it? Would trying some colour profiles help (where do i find them?)? I've tried all the settings and got nothing from it. Wouldn't the included CD fix it (i don't have CD drive and didn't find download). Maybe driver settings?
Also the viewing angles are nothing like promised, looks completely different from photos on internet. As I change angle of the look the monitor colours get's a little better and in the last 50 degrees they just go completely washed out - almost grey and screen goes very dark.
If AH-IPS with half AG coating is supposed to look exactly like cheap TN screen, I'm returning it and getting 120hz xl2411t or something. Not throwing out $650 bucks like this for just 1440p.

Is your laptop calibrated? Were the Shimian & 24" IPS that you saw calibrated?

Otherwise, that does seem odd. Do you have any pictures of it that show what you're describing?
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

Is your laptop calibrated? Were the Shimian & 24" IPS that you saw calibrated?
Otherwise, that does seem odd. Do you have any pictures of it that show what you're describing?
Laptop isn't calibrated but it's 3 months old HP ProBook so I guess there's some quality. Shimian was same as it came from Korea but still very noticeable, the 24 IPS seemt calibrated, they probably wouldn't try to show off ugly ones.

Anyway, I called Dell support in the morning and we talked for a while. I live around 150 kilometres from Dell center so they sent a guy with new screen and repair tools if possible. He came, said he's very sorry for this but the panel is bad and gave me new monitor which looks like it's supposed to. Yay for dell support.
Screens from old and new one.


Side by side

Edited by Layo - 12/10/12 at 8:30am
A computer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte GTX780ti 4x4GB Kingston Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB Don't have Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Dell U2713HM Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair 650W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 300R Logitech G502 SS Qck Cheap 5.1 speakers/HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
A computer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte GTX780ti 4x4GB Kingston Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB Don't have Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Dell U2713HM Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair 650W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 300R Logitech G502 SS Qck Cheap 5.1 speakers/HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Excellent news!!!

This is why I am choosing to stay with dell monitors. I have one U2711 and I am getting another today. You pay for this service and its nice to have indeed.

Enjoy! thumb.gif
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
Liquid
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k ASUS Rampage IV Gene EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V EVGA GTX480 @ 900MHz @ 1.1V 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4 x 4Gb Corsair Dominator 1866MHz Samsung 830 256GB LG DVD Burner Win 7 x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
DELL U3011 DELL U3011 DELL U2410 Ducy Shine 2 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Platinum 1200W Silverstone FT03 G500 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 
Audio
Yamaha HS80m 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layo View Post

Laptop isn't calibrated but it's 3 months old HP ProBook so I guess there's some quality. Shimian was same as it came from Korea but still very noticeable, the 24 IPS seemt calibrated, they probably wouldn't try to show off ugly ones.

Looking nice and non-calibration is, unfortunately, not well correlated. The U2713hm is supposed to have the best factory calibration of any 27", 1440p consumer monitor, so it might have just been you weren't used to seeing "proper" colours.

But it's good to know that you just have a faulty monitor. Probably a bank of LEDs wasn't working properly - it was turning on the faulty bank at low brightness, but at higher brightness, the faulty ones were drowned out by the working ones. The only thing I really don't like about my Catleap - no 3 year premium warranty and support.
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

Looking nice and non-calibration is, unfortunately, not well correlated. The U2713hm is supposed to have the best factory calibration of any 27", 1440p consumer monitor, so it might have just been you weren't used to seeing "proper" colours.
But it's good to know that you just have a faulty monitor. Probably a bank of LEDs wasn't working properly - it was turning on the faulty bank at low brightness, but at higher brightness, the faulty ones were drowned out by the working ones. The only thing I really don't like about my Catleap - no 3 year premium warranty and support.
That's why I went with $610 Dell thumb.gif
A computer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte GTX780ti 4x4GB Kingston Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB Don't have Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Dell U2713HM Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair 650W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 300R Logitech G502 SS Qck Cheap 5.1 speakers/HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
A computer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte GTX780ti 4x4GB Kingston Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB Don't have Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Dell U2713HM Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair 650W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 300R Logitech G502 SS Qck Cheap 5.1 speakers/HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

Looking nice and non-calibration is, unfortunately, not well correlated. The U2713hm is supposed to have the best factory calibration of any 27", 1440p consumer monitor, so it might have just been you weren't used to seeing "proper" colours.
But it's good to know that you just have a faulty monitor. Probably a bank of LEDs wasn't working properly - it was turning on the faulty bank at low brightness, but at higher brightness, the faulty ones were drowned out by the working ones. The only thing I really don't like about my Catleap - no 3 year premium warranty and support.
That's why I went with $610 Dell thumb.gif
Edit: I'm sorry about those posts down there...
A computer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte GTX780ti 4x4GB Kingston Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB Don't have Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Dell U2713HM Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair 650W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 300R Logitech G502 SS Qck Cheap 5.1 speakers/HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
A computer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte GTX780ti 4x4GB Kingston Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB Don't have Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Dell U2713HM Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair 650W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 300R Logitech G502 SS Qck Cheap 5.1 speakers/HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Blew out colours on my IPS panel.