Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Kotaku] The Good And Bad of Battlefield 3, One Year (Or So) Later
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Kotaku] The Good And Bad of Battlefield 3, One Year (Or So) Later - Page 19

post #181 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

It's not my opinion. It is fact, whether you agree with facts or not. If the wiki page is wrong, then I am also wrong, because the wiki page supports my statements 100%. BF2MC is no where near BF2 in terms of gameplay. That is like saying BC2 and BF3 are the same game. Or GT5 and GTHD are the same game.
And yeah, I also got Daggerfall when I was 6 and it took me 2 years to complete.
Edit: MOH SP and MOH MP are the same too, right?

Oh goodness..

Whether or not it's close to the PC version is irrelevant. Battlefield 2: Modern Combat was meant to bring Battlefield 2 to the consoles. That's a fact. Your comparisons are so far off that it honestly makes it seem like you're just trolling now.
post #182 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor958 View Post

The age thing is actually a big part of why games are on a decline as far as quality and depth go anymore. I'm 26 and grew up with the NES, SNES, and beyond... even a Virtual Boy (possibly the cause for me horrible eyes frown.gif ). Growing up with the golden age of gaming, i've been able to see where it all comes from. Gamers even a half-generation before me with the Atari, Amiga, etc (which i also played) can recognize the same thing. Current teens and younger are growing up with a feeling of entitlement having been inundated with a plethora of games and variety of consoles and PC as a viable main gaming platform as well. Earlier generations has 1 option, then 2 when Sega came... and Sony into the fray there after. Anymore, people just don't appreciate what they've got.
BF2: Modern Combat was not like BF2 for PC, but it was the closest parallel they could come up with. I'm sure gamers in '05 without a PC were grateful since all they would hear about from PC gamers is how awesome it was and the rise of the PC Master Race, etc etc... I'm just now getting a Wii ($35 from some guy on CL) and am very grateful for it and love the games I have so far. Graphics are ok, and the games are hard compared to just pressing buttons with your thumbs... you're up all bouncing around and moving all over the place.

I've actually been tempted to get a Wii for the virtual console...playing Donkey Kong Country on a friends Wii with my brother was pretty fun, and would take the annoyances out of trying to do it with an emulator...plus I'd have to buy a controller.
mitx
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K 4.5ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X 1200/1500 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8 GB 8-8-8-24-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital WD15EARX Western Digital WD15EADS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Silverstone NT06-Pro Windows 10 x64 LG 29UM67 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SG08 600W PSU Silverstone SG08B Logitech G700 Pioneer SE-A1000 
  hide details  
Reply
mitx
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K 4.5ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X 1200/1500 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8 GB 8-8-8-24-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital WD15EARX Western Digital WD15EADS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Silverstone NT06-Pro Windows 10 x64 LG 29UM67 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SG08 600W PSU Silverstone SG08B Logitech G700 Pioneer SE-A1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #183 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

It's not my opinion. It is fact, whether you agree with facts or not. If the wiki page is wrong, then I am also wrong, because the wiki page supports my statements 100%. BF2MC is no where near BF2 in terms of gameplay. That is like saying BC2 and BF3 are the same game. Or GT5 and GTHD are the same game.
And yeah, I also got Daggerfall when I was 6 and it took me 2 years to complete.
Edit: MOH SP and MOH MP are the same too, right?

Lucky, we didn't have a computer till I was 15, a PowerMac with Power Pete
Didn't really have time or to devote to games as much as you did, but I really can't see the experience of a 6-9 year old in online FPSs as conclusive of anything...unless you were some pro gaming prodigy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post

Oh goodness..
Whether or not it's close to the PC version is irrelevant. Battlefield 2: Modern Combat was meant to bring Battlefield 2 to the consoles. That's a fact. Your comparisons are so far off that it honestly makes it seem like you're just trolling now.

He didn't listen to me when I tried to say it. I'm beginning to agree with your intuition, smells awfully troll-y in here...
Edited by ryboto - 12/12/12 at 11:16am
mitx
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K 4.5ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X 1200/1500 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8 GB 8-8-8-24-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital WD15EARX Western Digital WD15EADS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Silverstone NT06-Pro Windows 10 x64 LG 29UM67 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SG08 600W PSU Silverstone SG08B Logitech G700 Pioneer SE-A1000 
  hide details  
Reply
mitx
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K 4.5ghz ASRock Z77E-ITX Sapphire R9 290x Tri-X 1200/1500 Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8 GB 8-8-8-24-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Western Digital Velociraptor Western Digital WD15EARX Western Digital WD15EADS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Silverstone NT06-Pro Windows 10 x64 LG 29UM67 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Silverstone SG08 600W PSU Silverstone SG08B Logitech G700 Pioneer SE-A1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #184 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

It's not my opinion. It is fact, whether you agree with facts or not. If the wiki page is wrong, then I am also wrong, because the wiki page supports my statements 100%. BF2MC is no where near BF2 in terms of gameplay. That is like saying BC2 and BF3 are the same game. Or GT5 and GTHD are the same game.
And yeah, I also got Daggerfall when I was 6 and it took me 2 years to complete.
Edit: MOH SP and MOH MP are the same too, right?

Oh goodness..

Whether or not it's close to the PC version is irrelevant. Battlefield 2: Modern Combat was meant to bring Battlefield 2 to the consoles. That's a fact. Your comparisons are so far off that it honestly makes it seem like you're just trolling now.

Weird, since I hate trolls. All of my comparisons are relevant.
BF3 to BC2 as they both use a variation of the Frostbite engine. The extremist comparison.
GT5 and GTHD as they both were made for the PS3 except one of them was meant just just for testing. A normal comparison.
And MOH SP to MOH MP as both use different engines. The lenient comparison.
Just because something shares a similar title does not make it the same game.
One of my pet peeves is people who believe the nonsense that just because they have a similar name makes them similar games. (No insult intended)
The name BF1943 is extremely similar to the name BF1942 are you going to say those are the same game as well? Because that is what comes off of people claiming BF2 and BF2MC are the same.
post #185 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

Weird, since I hate trolls. All of my comparisons are relevant.
BF3 to BC2 as they both use a variation of the Frostbite engine. The extremist comparison.
GT5 and GTHD as they both were made for the PS3 except one of them was meant just just for testing. A normal comparison.
And MOH SP to MOH MP as both use different engines. The lenient comparison.
Just because something shares a similar title does not make it the same game.
One of my pet peeves is people who believe the nonsense that just because they have a similar name makes them similar games. (No insult intended)
The name BF1943 is extremely similar to the name BF1942 are you going to say those are the same game as well? Because that is what comes off of people claiming BF2 and BF2MC are the same.

Saying you hate trolls doesn't change anything.... trolls can hate other trolls, it's competition smile.gif Now, to be clear, i'm not calling you a troll, just misguided and a bit overzealous and lacking wisdom.

The thing is... they're not sharing a 'similar' title, it's the SAME title. It was meant to be the same game as best as they could equate it to consoles in 2005. Not counting the porting dev time before that... what is so hard to understand here?

BF1942 to BF1943 is a different comparison, and just reinforces you're missing the point. BF1943 wasn't meant to be a port, like BF2MC was to BF2 at the time... BF1943 is a remake to modernize the game like people has been demanding for years. It was customer service at face value.

You appear to involved in your own arguement to even see what anyone else it talking about and make the connections. Maybe you just don't like losing? I dunno, but you're not representing your demographic well... frown.gif
Malice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 240GB Samsung 500gb HDD  Samsung 300gb HDD Seagate 500gb HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 1TB HDD LG DVD Super-Multi Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU cooler Windows 7 64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VH236H 23" HD Saitek Eclipse I Backlit - Blue Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced 
MouseAudio
Roccat Kone+ Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
Reply
Malice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 240GB Samsung 500gb HDD  Samsung 300gb HDD Seagate 500gb HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 1TB HDD LG DVD Super-Multi Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU cooler Windows 7 64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VH236H 23" HD Saitek Eclipse I Backlit - Blue Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced 
MouseAudio
Roccat Kone+ Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
Reply
post #186 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboto View Post

I liked run and gun shooters like SOFII, and the Duke Nukem 3d, but they lost their appeal when I got older. That's personal preference, I admit. What I meant about 'generations', is that If I look at my cousins, and their friends, they all love the COD franchise, but can't stand games like L4D, or BF2, where they would have to work with me. They'd all prefer to play TDM/DM where they don't have to worry about teammates or squads, etc. This is the type of gamer that BFC2, and then BF3 have attempted to cater towards. At least that's how I see the removal/modification of some key features from previous games.
I don't dislike that generation, or rather, that group that just wants fast paced shooters, my tastes just differ. I think I should be more frustrated with DICE though, with their bowing to EA for some features, and playing with the formula of their previous efforts. I still have faith they can recreate that old recipe, and I'm perfectly content being patient.

Then it's not about generations at all.. tongue.gif It's simply about preference and the groups of people you grew up with which is understandable. I don't think DICE should be blamed, though. If they didn't cater to a larger audience, their game wouldn't sell as well and they probably wouldn't stay in business very long. You still have Battlefield 2 and 2142 to go back to if you want that specific experience and DICE isn't going to change that. They just have to evolve for the better of their company so they can still go on to make games for people to enjoy.
post #187 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor958 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

Weird, since I hate trolls. All of my comparisons are relevant.
BF3 to BC2 as they both use a variation of the Frostbite engine. The extremist comparison.
GT5 and GTHD as they both were made for the PS3 except one of them was meant just just for testing. A normal comparison.
And MOH SP to MOH MP as both use different engines. The lenient comparison.
Just because something shares a similar title does not make it the same game.
One of my pet peeves is people who believe the nonsense that just because they have a similar name makes them similar games. (No insult intended)
The name BF1943 is extremely similar to the name BF1942 are you going to say those are the same game as well? Because that is what comes off of people claiming BF2 and BF2MC are the same.

Saying you hate trolls doesn't change anything.... trolls can hate other trolls, it's competition smile.gif Now, to be clear, i'm not calling you a troll, just misguided and a bit overzealous and lacking wisdom.

The thing is... they're not sharing a 'similar' title, it's the SAME title. It was meant to be the same game as best as they could equate it to consoles in 2005. Not counting the porting dev time before that... what is so hard to understand here?

BF1942 to BF1943 is a different comparison, and just reinforces you're missing the point. BF1943 wasn't meant to be a port, like BF2MC was to BF2 at the time... BF1943 is a remake to modernize the game like people has been demanding for years. It was customer service at face value.

You appear to involved in your own arguement to even see what anyone else it talking about and make the connections. Maybe you just don't like losing? I dunno, but you're not representing your demographic well... frown.gif

I am not a troll, nor will I ever be. At least not to those who are also not trolls.
I have made the connections. The connection is in title only. LittleBigPlanet and LittleBigPlanet (PSP) share the same title. Would you say those games release over a year apart from eachother with different storylines are the same game?
I am not representing my demographic well? Well, considering my demographics is mainly made up of immature brats that annoy the living hell out of me, I think compared to them, I am representing it quite fine. Apologies if I put too much weight on your shoulders.
post #188 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by moocowman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboto View Post

I liked run and gun shooters like SOFII, and the Duke Nukem 3d, but they lost their appeal when I got older. That's personal preference, I admit. What I meant about 'generations', is that If I look at my cousins, and their friends, they all love the COD franchise, but can't stand games like L4D, or BF2, where they would have to work with me. They'd all prefer to play TDM/DM where they don't have to worry about teammates or squads, etc. This is the type of gamer that BFC2, and then BF3 have attempted to cater towards. At least that's how I see the removal/modification of some key features from previous games.
I don't dislike that generation, or rather, that group that just wants fast paced shooters, my tastes just differ. I think I should be more frustrated with DICE though, with their bowing to EA for some features, and playing with the formula of their previous efforts. I still have faith they can recreate that old recipe, and I'm perfectly content being patient.

Then it's not about generations at all.. tongue.gif It's simply about preference and the groups of people you grew up with which is understandable. I don't think DICE should be blamed, though. If they didn't cater to a larger audience, their game wouldn't sell as well and they probably wouldn't stay in business very long. You still have Battlefield 2 and 2142 to go back to if you want that specific experience and DICE isn't going to change that. They just have to evolve for the better of their company so they can still go on to make games for people to enjoy.

It's these people. The people that ask for change and complain about COD and then when there is change in another game series they show their hypocrisy.
post #189 of 308
Why do people like to talk about playing old games like it somehow makes their argument more legitimate?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k (EK Supremacy Evo) *4.7 @ 1.312 Asus Maximus VIII gene GTX 1080 FE (EK nickel/plexi)* 2075/5401 16gb Corsair 3200  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950pro M.2 256gb Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Steam Samsung 850 Evo - 512 - Other Apps EK Res 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK pump top XSPC EX 360 XSPC EX 240 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 3 TKL  EVGA 650 Fractal Arc Mini 2 G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #190 of 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom320 View Post

Why do people like to talk about playing old games like it somehow makes their argument more legitimate?

Pretty much this.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › [Kotaku] The Good And Bad of Battlefield 3, One Year (Or So) Later