Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Advice on a light Debian Install [closed]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice on a light Debian Install [closed]

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Hello, I have some prior experience with Debian however I am not the most experienced Linux user. I want to install Debian using a net install image and edit the sources.list file to add the repositories and install a minimal gnome 3 desktop with just a terminal too install the rest of my software. Basically I would like some advice on the best way to go about doing this, so when Debian is installed I have nothing but the bare minimum system.
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonRayford View Post

Hello, I have some prior experience with Debian however I am not the most experienced Linux user. I want to install Debian using a net install image and edit the sources.list file to add the repositories and install a minimal gnome 3 desktop with just a terminal too install the rest of my software. Basically I would like some advice on the best way to go about doing this, so when Debian is installed I have nothing but the bare minimum system.

with gnome 3 first of all you will need wheezy. its testing, but almost stable. so when you pick up your iso pick testing

second, when installing a minimal install either use netinstall or cd1. then uncheck the desktop-environment (if checked) during the install

next you will need to install xorg and alsa. then install gnome. simple as that wink.gif

a reboot and the login manager should be there. I have to say how ever that as a full desktop gnome doesn't just come with a terminal. however by doing a minimal install first there will be less then say a live dvd
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
I appreciate the advice and it has given me all the information I will need, however if anyone else has any suggestions then I would love to here them. Thank you jrl1357
post #4 of 12
Yeah, if you don't install desktop on Debian you get bascially nothing. If you avoid the meta-pacakges you get less too. For instance, if you want kde then "kde-plasma-desktop" gives you the minimal.

http://wiki.debian.org/KDE

gnome-core

http://wiki.debian.org/KDE

The wiki is very nice these days, fortunately with debian if you even install something like that it will automatically install xorg. they have their dependencies and packages done pretty well. There is an xfce minimal, the works so you can basically get it set pretty well.

[edit] You'll have to be comfy with apt-get and terminal if you don't install desktop. So if you rely on wifi, it might be a pita.
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
I wouldn't dare use anything but a wired connection until I had a basic GUI installed, to much of a hassle to configure wireless in the terminal.
post #6 of 12
I don't think it's that bad any more, installing with wireless worked fine for me (that was a wheezy beta disc though, I recall wireless being a pain when I installed squeeze) - if you have a card with free drivers and firmware, it should be no hassle at all.

Also, the recommended way to install a DE is to use tasksel... I have no idea if it's a big deal, I've gone from Gnome to xfce on squeeze just by normally installing the packages and it didn't cause any issues. But, still, that's the recommended way.
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Well I prefer my wired connections anyway, but maybe I will do it with a wireless connection just for the hell of it. That is if it is not to bad as you say.
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomfunk View Post

I don't think it's that bad any more, installing with wireless worked fine for me (that was a wheezy beta disc though, I recall wireless being a pain when I installed squeeze) - if you have a card with free drivers and firmware, it should be no hassle at all.

Also, the recommended way to install a DE is to use tasksel... I have no idea if it's a big deal, I've gone from Gnome to xfce on squeeze just by normally installing the packages and it didn't cause any issues. But, still, that's the recommended way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonRayford View Post

Well I prefer my wired connections anyway, but maybe I will do it with a wireless connection just for the hell of it. That is if it is not to bad as you say.

thats if you have a card with free firmware. I would still stick to wired till you get it installed
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
If I can get this damn tower to work, any suggestion on where I would go on the forums to ask some questions about fixing hardware (or at least I am pretty positive it is hardware) issues?
post #10 of 12
http://www.overclock.net/f/297/general-processor-discussions
http://www.overclock.net/f/8/intel-general
http://www.overclock.net/f/13/amd-general
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix › Advice on a light Debian Install [closed]