Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Water Cooling Noob Here, Couple Questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Water Cooling Noob Here, Couple Questions

post #1 of 27
Thread Starter 
Well.. I want to build a CPU loop with hopes in the future (distant future mind you, like 2 years) my radiator, pump, fittings, tubing, and fans will still be relevant and able to be used on a CPU + 1 GPU loop. From the research I have done it seems like there is little to no difference between radiators (of same size of course). E.G. A 60mm 360 rad from one company will perform within reason near the same as another companies, is that true? If so its just about getting the best bang for your buck correct? The next thing I seem to gather is that you want a 60mm x120 to start your loop, and then add 120 for each item cooled after that? So a 240 rad for a CPU, and a 360 for a CPU and GPU? Then you get into needing like 480 rads, or second rads, after that correct?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.. there are so many guides and so many different opinion I'm just trying to get the gist of it all.

So if all of that is right a 60mm thick 360rad should provide decent temps for a CPU and GPU? What about 80mm thick 360, would that be enough for 2 GPU and CPU or not really? I was thinking that if in the future after I have a CPU and GPU loop that if I decided to SLI/CF I could just get another radiator to throw in there.

So this is where I'm at, I have a Switch810, which I don't see upgrading from anytime soon (low income, will be on a tight budget for a while). I want to get the best bang for my buck parts. I want a CPU block that I can pop leds into, was looking at the raystorm as a good price to performance block. Then for radiator.. I have no idea. There are so many options, so many configurations, its mindblowing to me. Sure I've read the reviews and I know the subtle differences between them, but I don't know the real world usage at all. I definitely want a block capable of handling a high end CPU and GPU. If it can handle 2 GPUs and stay relativity inexpensive that would be awesome. If not, I can't see a reason I couldn't just add a 240 rad to the bottom of the case or something. Then there is 60 vs 80mm which I have no idea on. Just know I don't want anything flashy, no gold or anything like that if everything is black on it I'd be happy.

For the pump I assume the D5 is the most renown so probably just go with that, unless its outdated now. For the res, not sure, probably just get a bay res for ease of use, not sure how big of one I'd need.

I know I'm nearly asking "Just pick out my parts for me because I'm too lazy", but I honestly have done the research, I'm just at a loss. The only thing I know for certain on is i want to use Mayhem's Pastel White dye. XD

I really appreciate that help.
post #2 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimeyjimey View Post

From the research I have done it seems like there is little to no difference between radiators (of same size of course). E.G. A 60mm 360 rad from one company will perform within reason near the same as another companies, is that true?

I don't believe that is correct. Have a look at this graph of rad compared.

And have a look here at some more data.

To me it's simple: the Alphacool UT60 is the best performer at around 100$ while the Aquacomputer AMS performs average at best for more than double the price.
Quote:
The next thing I seem to gather is that you want a 60mm x120 to start your loop, and then add 120 for each item cooled after that? So a 240 rad for a CPU, and a 360 for a CPU and GPU? Then you get into needing like 480 rads, or second rads, after that correct?

That is like asking how long is a piece of string. Simply put, most any amount of rads will cool better then air. After that, it all depends on how much you want to push your machine nd how quiet you want it all to be. Depends on your wallet, amount of intended OCing, and tolerance for fan noise.
Quote:
So if all of that is right a 60mm thick 360rad should provide decent temps for a CPU and GPU? What about 80mm thick 360, would that be enough for 2 GPU and CPU or not really?

Both would be sufficient, depending on a few things.
But keep in mind that your 60mm rad with fans on both sides (in push/pull) will probably perform better than the 80mm in push or pull only. And even better would be two 30mm rads with only push or pull on both.
Quote:
For the pump I assume the D5 is the most renown so probably just go with that, unless its outdated now.

I prefer the MCP35X for it's noise level versus performance.
Quote:
For the res, not sure, probably just get a bay res for ease of use, not sure how big of one I'd need.

When it comes to the res, I mainly go for the looks, size doesn't matter ...... so gurlz keep telling me. rolleyes.gif

Cheers cheers.gif
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLapiu View Post

I don't believe that is correct. Have a look at this graph of rad compared.

And have a look here at some more data.

Lol, thats where I looked first =3 and he says this in his conclusion "Well 16 radiators done and as usual with most watercooling, the differences between radiators is also very small. " Thats were I came to the conclusion that there isn't much of a performance difference between them? thinking.gif

Even with that said, you think the Alphacool UT60 is the best bang for your buck?

How much quiter is the MCP35x?

EDIT also is worth it getting the 140 over the 120 in the UT60 Triple? I know this would limmit my radiator fan options (i was planning on going with SP120s as i like the look of them but anything that has white in it (like white blades) would be ok with me as long as they perform with the best and are quiet like corsair and noctua)
Edited by Slimeyjimey - 12/11/12 at 4:19am
post #4 of 27
Thread Starter 
Anyone else?
post #5 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimeyjimey View Post

Anyone else?
Check out my water cooling guide in sig. It may help you out some.
Case Labs th10
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
970 evga 4way 2 gtx590 6gigs muskin ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
2tb wd,128 ssd/crucial lg dvd koolance gtx590 block x 2 white heatkiller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX480 rad x2 MCP35x (X2) gentle typhoons 1850 rpm (8) xigamtek fans  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
win pro 64bit samsung 2343 x3 6144x1152 logitech g19 silverstone 1500watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
case labs th10 deathadder 3500dpi cheap one Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty C... 
Other
XSPC dual bay reservoir  
  hide details  
Reply
Case Labs th10
(21 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
970 evga 4way 2 gtx590 6gigs muskin ram 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
2tb wd,128 ssd/crucial lg dvd koolance gtx590 block x 2 white heatkiller 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX480 rad x2 MCP35x (X2) gentle typhoons 1850 rpm (8) xigamtek fans  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
win pro 64bit samsung 2343 x3 6144x1152 logitech g19 silverstone 1500watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
case labs th10 deathadder 3500dpi cheap one Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty C... 
Other
XSPC dual bay reservoir  
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 27
Thread Starter 
Your guide did help a lot, however I'm pretty set on using some Mayhem dye even thought you say not to =/

So what do you think of the UT60 since you don't mention it.
post #7 of 27
The UT60 is the best out there right now for almost all fan speeds. It's a little weaker at or under 1,000rpm but still good. And the build quality is excellent. I that unlike most others, it has copper for both fins AND tubes.
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLapiu View Post

The UT60 is the best out there right now for almost all fan speeds. It's a little weaker at or under 1,000rpm but still good. And the build quality is excellent. I that unlike most others, it has copper for both fins AND tubes.

Why don't most others like that?
post #9 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimeyjimey View Post

Why don't most others like that?

It has to do with the fabrication technique used to make the radators. Most use brass tubes which is harder, but not as good as copper to transmit heat.
I guess Alphacool figured a way to fabricate the rads using the softer copper tubes. But they were the first to do it. After that, others are trying to follow in Alphacool's steps. I'm not sure if they are still the only ones using cooper tubes.

But on Martin's site the UT60 rates the best over a wider fan speed range, better than all of them except at less than 1,000 rpm, but ever there, it keeps it's head up pretty high.

Sheeesh! I sound like a sales rep now. Maybe Alphacool could set me up with some kick backs! tongue.gif
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 27
Thread Starter 
Ive always been a fan of alphacool, from reviews at least so I have no problem getting the UT60, as long as it can cool a CPU and GPU very well and stay resonable priced. For only 20 dollars more I could get the 480mm, would that be enough for SLI + CPU?

PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in.ID x 1/2in.OD Tubing- Clear

XSPC RayStorm

Mayhem Pastel Whitek

Silver KillCoill

Bitspower Matte Black G1/4" Barb Fitting - 3/8" ID x6

Alphacool Compression Fitting - G 1/4 Thread 3/8" ID x 1/2" OD x 6

Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper Quad

Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 Inline Reservoir

Corsair Sp120 x6

MCP35X

So that everything I need? I'm sure I missed some stuff. Anything you would change? Anything to cut costs?
Edited by Slimeyjimey - 12/14/12 at 8:26am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Water Cooling Noob Here, Couple Questions