Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Do fan splitters lower max fan speed?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do fan splitters lower max fan speed?

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 
What is the impact of using a fan splitter? Will all fans be running significantly lower?
Turtle
(18 items)
 
Turtle 2017
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 7900X ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LED Blue Samsung 960 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Custom Loop 
OSCaseAudio
Windows 10 Creators Edition Lian Li PC-08 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Turtle
(18 items)
 
Turtle 2017
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 7900X ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LED Blue Samsung 960 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Custom Loop 
OSCaseAudio
Windows 10 Creators Edition Lian Li PC-08 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 31
No, they will all run the same speed.

Compare it to having 1 light on or having 3 lights on in your home.
post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

No, they will all run the same speed.
Compare it to having 1 light on or having 3 lights on in your home.

Ok so there's absolutely no downside?
Turtle
(18 items)
 
Turtle 2017
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 7900X ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LED Blue Samsung 960 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Custom Loop 
OSCaseAudio
Windows 10 Creators Edition Lian Li PC-08 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Turtle
(18 items)
 
Turtle 2017
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 7900X ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LED Blue Samsung 960 Pro Samsung 850 Evo Custom Loop 
OSCaseAudio
Windows 10 Creators Edition Lian Li PC-08 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by xNiNELiVES View Post

What is the impact of using a fan splitter? Will all fans be running significantly lower?
Quote:
Originally Posted by xNiNELiVES View Post

Ok so there's absolutely no downside?

There is "absolutely no downside" if fans are plugged into quality splitters which are plugged into appropriate power sources. thumb.gif

I have ran 9 PWM fans on 2 PWM splitters daisy-chained so all fans used same PWM signal and 2 molex connectors for power.
Edited by doyll - 12/11/12 at 4:11pm
post #5 of 31
Just don't try to power them all from your motherboard.biggrin.gif
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

No, they will all run the same speed.
Compare it to having 1 light on or having 3 lights on in your home.

it depends on the power source, if the source only have enough power for 1 fan, then yes the fan speed of 2 fans will be halved.

your house receives lots of electricity that's why it can power more than 1 light, try it with a battery.
Edited by ghostrider85 - 12/11/12 at 4:15pm
post #7 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post


There is "absolutely no downside" if fans are plugged into quality splitters which are plugged into appropriate power sources. thumb.gif

I have ran 9 PWM fans on 2 PWM splitters daisy-chained so all fans used same PWM signal and 2 molex connectors for power.


This is true. But don't think that means you can run 6 fans from splitters off of one motherboard header.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xNiNELiVES View Post


*snip* AWESOME!

Please refrain from offensive language.
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

No, they will all run the same speed.
Compare it to having 1 light on or having 3 lights on in your home.


Actually that does make a difference. It's less noticeable if they are plugged in parallel, though, as shown in this picture.



The reason why you dont notice it in your home is because the current I is much more stronger than what a, let's say, battery would give you (dV should be 120V from your wall, while a battery is 1,5V). If you open a lot of appliances in the same room at the same time you will notice that your lights will dim.

Now I dont know how PSU actually work, but if you are plugging multiple fan from the same 12v molex connector they should eventually start to spin slower.
Edited by splinterize - 12/11/12 at 4:21pm
post #9 of 31
Everyone has hit around the truth for the effects of running a fan splitter. Since these are are DC power sources the only thing you have to watch for is exceeding the capabilities of your power supply. You might see a minor slowing from running lots of fans but I think it would be negligible. As far as exceeding the capabilities of the power supply that would be difficult to do with normal fans. So there really isn't anything to worry about if you are connecting straight to your power supply. Just remember your motherboard and cheaper fan controllers may not be able to supply enough power for lots of fans.


That is what I know for power sources. The PWM signal on the other hand I am not sure about. I could see how the signal could be "degraded" possibly if it was split multiple times causing a slowing in the signal. Truthfully though I don't know about that. Anyone else good an idea on this? I am curious myself the more I think about it.
Red-Scout
(18 items)
 
Asus G53SX-TH71
(12 items)
 
Big Blue
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 8320 FX Asus Crosshair V Twin Frozr 6950 Twin Frozr 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengence Red Crucial M4 Western Digital Raptor 300gb Western Digital 1 TB Black 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu-ray Corsair H80 Windows 7 Professional Asus VE248H x3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Black Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w CoolerMaster Storm Scout MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse 
AudioAudio
Logitech X-540 5.1 System Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2670QM G53SX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M Samsung  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair  Samsung  Corsair  Corsair Force GT3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Blu-Ray Drive Windows 7 Professional 15.4" 1080p 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 MSI Windforce 6850 Kingston Hyper-Blue 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
3x Seagate Barracuda 3Tb OCZ Agility 2 64Gb 3x OCZ Vertex 2 Plus 32 Gb Cooler Master Seidon 120mm 
OSOSPowerCase
Windows Server 2012 Standard VMs (Server 2012, Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu,... PC Power and Cooling 500w Silencer NXZT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
Red-Scout
(18 items)
 
Asus G53SX-TH71
(12 items)
 
Big Blue
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 8320 FX Asus Crosshair V Twin Frozr 6950 Twin Frozr 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengence Red Crucial M4 Western Digital Raptor 300gb Western Digital 1 TB Black 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu-ray Corsair H80 Windows 7 Professional Asus VE248H x3 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX 5500 Revolution Black Thermaltake TR2 RX 750w CoolerMaster Storm Scout MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse 
AudioAudio
Logitech X-540 5.1 System Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2670QM G53SX NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M Samsung  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair  Samsung  Corsair  Corsair Force GT3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi Blu-Ray Drive Windows 7 Professional 15.4" 1080p 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 MSI Windforce 6850 Kingston Hyper-Blue 16Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
3x Seagate Barracuda 3Tb OCZ Agility 2 64Gb 3x OCZ Vertex 2 Plus 32 Gb Cooler Master Seidon 120mm 
OSOSPowerCase
Windows Server 2012 Standard VMs (Server 2012, Windows 7, Windows 8, Ubuntu,... PC Power and Cooling 500w Silencer NXZT Switch 810 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylepdalton View Post

Everyone has hit around the truth for the effects of running a fan splitter. Since these are are DC power sources the only thing you have to watch for is exceeding the capabilities of your power supply. You might see a minor slowing from running lots of fans but I think it would be negligible. As far as exceeding the capabilities of the power supply that would be difficult to do with normal fans. So there really isn't anything to worry about if you are connecting straight to your power supply. Just remember your motherboard and cheaper fan controllers may not be able to supply enough power for lots of fans.
That is what I know for power sources. The PWM signal on the other hand I am not sure about. I could see how the signal could be "degraded" possibly if it was split multiple times causing a slowing in the signal. Truthfully though I don't know about that. Anyone else good an idea on this? I am curious myself the more I think about it.

You cant «degrade» electricity, since it's just a bunch of electrons moving in different directions. The only thing that bad connections can do is add resistance to your circuit.

If you keep splitting it and plugging more fan on the same rail they will eventually slow down due to the increased resistance.
Edited by splinterize - 12/11/12 at 5:34pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Do fan splitters lower max fan speed?