Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [The Tech Report] Does the Radeon HD 7950 stumble in Windows 8?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[The Tech Report] Does the Radeon HD 7950 stumble in Windows 8? - Page 33

post #321 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

AFAIK most sites give you average fps, lowest fps, or max fps, a combination of 2 out 3, and some even give you a graph to compare the cards with.
*most* give smoothness, and jerkiness comments in the final words summary.

Most sites actually only give you AVG FPS, my point is, that to make this statement is not accurate:
Quote:
Alot of their results are extremely questionable given previous results on more reputable sites.

Unless other sites are doing the same testing methods, you can't compare their results to TR's based on FPS numbers alone.

I'm not saying TR is right here, but we don't have other sites who can prove or disprove their data based on latency testing methods, which is what this article is all about.

I googled "GTX 660 vs 7950" Ignoring TR's review, here are the next 3 review sites.

Anandtech = Avg FPS
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review/13

Tom's = Avg FPS
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-memory-bandwidth-anti-aliasing,3283-9.html

HardOCP is the only that gives Min / Max / Avg. but that's as detailed as they get.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/27/nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_at_high_aa_settings_review/7

I don't personally know of any other site that does the latency tests regularly ( if at all ) like TR does, for us to compare to.
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #322 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

I don't personally know of any other site that does the latency tests regularly ( if at all ) like TR does, for us to compare to.
Tom's will do latency testing depending on what they're doing. Their review of the 7990 vs. 690 is a good example of this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devil13-7970-x2,3329-8.html
post #323 of 452
I think I may have an explanation for the inconsistent frame latency if no one else said anything. As you may see I have a 7950 in my sig, unfortunately it had a few issues so I returned it and now I'm back to my old GTX 580, but I digress.

While I had my 7950 I did some testing and I found that my 7950 would switch between the reference speed, 850mhz, and the boost speed, 925mhz, at random while in game. The GPU load would also alternate between 99% and something like 63% at random as well. Perhaps it was an issue with just my card but I'm recall seeing a review that showed a similar result with GPU load. I think that the 7950s with boost (any with the boost BIOS) are all a little screwed up. I also noticed that using Catalyst AI's texture filter optimization helped lower stutter. Perhaps someone with a 7950 boost and a non-boost 7950 can bench against each other?

I'll also say this, I didn't notice much if any stutter while gaming (some Skyrim, NS2, BF3, CS:GO) despite what the plotted graph of the FRAPS benchmark I ran showed me.
Edited by geoxile - 12/17/12 at 10:39pm
New and Shiny
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Rynze 7 1700 ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire HD7950 G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3K Crucial MX300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Red Noctua NH-U14S Windows 10 Pro Dell U2414H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H Ducky One Corsair RM650x NZXT H440 White 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
New and Shiny
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Rynze 7 1700 ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire HD7950 G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3K Crucial MX300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Red Noctua NH-U14S Windows 10 Pro Dell U2414H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H Ducky One Corsair RM650x NZXT H440 White 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #324 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazel View Post

Tom's will do latency testing depending on what they're doing. Their review of the 7990 vs. 690 is a good example of this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7990-devil13-7970-x2,3329-8.html

Now, if only they can add this section to ALL their GPU reviews. smile.gif

Maybe they can do a 660 vs 7950 test.
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #325 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master__Shake View Post

AFAIK most sites give you average fps, lowest fps, or max fps, a combination of 2 out 3, and some even give you a graph to compare the cards with.
*most* give smoothness, and jerkiness comments in the final words summary.

Most sites actually only give you AVG FPS, my point is, that to make this statement is not accurate:
Quote:
Alot of their results are extremely questionable given previous results on more reputable sites.

Unless other sites are doing the same testing methods, you can't compare their results to TR's based on FPS numbers alone.

I'm not saying TR is right here, but we don't have other sites who can prove or disprove their data based on latency testing methods, which is what this article is all about.

I googled "GTX 660 vs 7950" Ignoring TR's review, here are the next 3 review sites.

Anandtech = Avg FPS
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6159/the-geforce-gtx-660-ti-review/13

Tom's = Avg FPS
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-ti-memory-bandwidth-anti-aliasing,3283-9.html

HardOCP is the only that gives Min / Max / Avg. but that's as detailed as they get.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/08/27/nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_at_high_aa_settings_review/7

I don't personally know of any other site that does the latency tests regularly ( if at all ) like TR does, for us to compare to.

Sure, then lets compare TRs average FPS results to everywhere else, that's a suitable metric.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 4.5Ghz ASRock Z77 Pro3 Powercolor Radeon HD7950 3GB @ 1150/1350 4x4GB G.Skill Ares 2000Mhz CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 250GB Western Digital Black 1TB WD1002FAEX Seagate Barracuda 3TB ST3000DM001 Samsung Spinpoint EcoGreen 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Noctua NH-D14 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Arcitc Cooling Acclero Twin Turbo II Arch Linux x86-64, amdgpu BenQ G2220HD BenQ G2020HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine III Year of the Snake, Cherry Blue Silverstone Strider Plus 600w CoolerMaster CM690 II Black and White SteelSeries Sensei Professional 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Artisan Hien Mid Japan Black Large ASUS Xonar DX NZXT Sentry Mesh 30w Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #326 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

I think I may have an explanation for the inconsistent frame latency if no one else said anything. As you may see I have a 7950 in my sig, unfortunately it had a few issues so I returned it and now I'm back to my old GTX 580, but I digress.
While I had my 7950 I did some testing and I found that my 7950 would switch between the reference speed, 850mhz, and the boost speed, 925mhz, at random while in game. The GPU load would also alternate between 99% and something like 63% at random as well. Perhaps it was an issue with just my card but I'm recall seeing a review that showed a similar result with GPU load. I think that the 7950s with boost (any with the boost BIOS) are all a little screwed up. I also noticed that using Catalyst AI's texture filter optimization helped lower stutter. Perhaps someone with a 7950 boost and a non-boost 7950 can bench against each other?
I'll also say this, I didn't notice much if any stutter while gaming (some Skyrim, NS2, BF3, CS:GO) despite what the plotted graph of the FRAPS benchmark I ran showed me.

That would be a really good theory, but Tech Report said they already tested with a non-boost 7950 and got similar results. I do have to agree though, all 7950 Boost models at bone stock are bound to have some issues due to the power limiter.
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #327 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by specopsFI View Post

That would be a really good theory, but Tech Report said they already tested with a non-boost 7950 and got similar results. I do have to agree though, all 7950 Boost models at bone stock are bound to have some issues due to the power limiter.

Hmm, that's too bad. Well, in any case I'll post some of my benches I ran for gfaqs. I was using 12.11 with a Sapphire 7950 boost
Skyrim, the field/forest outside White Run, near the farm
http://i.imgur.com/IaJIc.png
http://i.imgur.com/uVqKC.png

http://i.imgur.com/hYJ67.png
http://i.imgur.com/n0wtw.png

Battlefield 3
http://imgur.com/Nr0Uw,5SyfX,w3Jbl#0
It's the 3rd level, the flying one that reviewers like to use so much. The benchmarks were taken at prep for launch, launch, and first contact with enemy in that order and they line up with the pics


And this is from the start of the first level when you first to get to control your character
http://i.imgur.com/57lU0.png
New and Shiny
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Rynze 7 1700 ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire HD7950 G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3K Crucial MX300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Red Noctua NH-U14S Windows 10 Pro Dell U2414H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H Ducky One Corsair RM650x NZXT H440 White 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
New and Shiny
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Rynze 7 1700 ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire HD7950 G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3K Crucial MX300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Red Noctua NH-U14S Windows 10 Pro Dell U2414H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H Ducky One Corsair RM650x NZXT H440 White 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #328 of 452
works fine for me
Big Blue
(19 items)
 
Big Red
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k AsRock Z97 Extreme6 Asus Direct CUii 780 Gskill Ripjaws (blue) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3k Seagate Barracuda Intel 730  Kingston SSDnow 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus Optical Drive Antec Kuhler H20 620 Windows 8.1 AOC E2752SHE 27in  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Thermaltake Smart Series 850W 80+ NZXT Phantom 410 Razor Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Xtrac Cyber Accoustics Platinum 6 Turtle Beach Earforce DX11 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx 8350 AsRock Fatal1ty 990 fx professional MSI TFIII 7950 (passthrough) Gskill RipJaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston SSDnow WD Black Hyper Evo 212 ESXi 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer S235HLbii Black 23" 1080p Logitech Illuminated Keyboard EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Fractal Design R4 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Deathadder 3g Xtrac 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Blue
(19 items)
 
Big Red
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k AsRock Z97 Extreme6 Asus Direct CUii 780 Gskill Ripjaws (blue) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3k Seagate Barracuda Intel 730  Kingston SSDnow 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus Optical Drive Antec Kuhler H20 620 Windows 8.1 AOC E2752SHE 27in  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Thermaltake Smart Series 850W 80+ NZXT Phantom 410 Razor Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Xtrac Cyber Accoustics Platinum 6 Turtle Beach Earforce DX11 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx 8350 AsRock Fatal1ty 990 fx professional MSI TFIII 7950 (passthrough) Gskill RipJaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston SSDnow WD Black Hyper Evo 212 ESXi 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer S235HLbii Black 23" 1080p Logitech Illuminated Keyboard EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Fractal Design R4 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Deathadder 3g Xtrac 
  hide details  
Reply
post #329 of 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

I'm just curious, how many other sites do the SAME testing methodologies as TR? I'm talking about latency tests specifically, name 3 others that do this on a regular basis, and please post their results vs TR's findings.

I'm talking about their raw performance results that are out of line with other reviews. Because those results are questionable, it means that their other results are questionable as well.
post #330 of 452
Maybe nobody else tests latency because, you know, its not really a big deal in the first place. Just sayin...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [The Tech Report] Does the Radeon HD 7950 stumble in Windows 8?