Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Which Temp Is True???
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which Temp Is True??? - Page 2

post #11 of 22
Yeah...you might want to clean it and re-apply the thermal paste again if you used a lot...are you still using the thermal pad for the memory and VRMs? You usually can't use paste on the VRMs and the memory since there often too large of a gap.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 22
Newer cards have excellent thermal paste on them, and high end cards (i.e. 580's, 680's etc) they generally advise not replacing the thermal paste as you'll end up getting higher temperatures. I always go with the rule of thumb that the highest temperature is the one that you go by unless you know that you have a stuck or damaged sensor (then you need to have the GPU replaced anyway).
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du-z View Post

You only need a pea sized amount of paste dude!
It becomes a insulator if you put to much on. I would not be surprised if afterburner is correct because most high end card have more than one place to read the temperature from. my card have 4.
DispIO
MemIO
Shader
VRM
so the other programs could be reading a different sensor to afterburner.
This, Afterburner could have been misconfiguration or accidentally configured to show the mem temp or VRM temp. Or like some programs it just has a bug with a certain cards and needs to be updated or reinstalled.
post #14 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermonkey500 View Post

Haha well too much isn't always a good thing wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du-z View Post

You only need a pea sized amount of paste dude!
It becomes a insulator if you put to much on. I would not be surprised if afterburner is correct because most high end card have more than one place to read the temperature from. my card have 4.
DispIO
MemIO
Shader
VRM
so the other programs could be reading a different sensor to afterburner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermonkey500 View Post

He may have a point. You should apply a pea sized amount, or try a couple more programs just to be a million percent sure. Don't want to risk hurting your GPU.

I know i tried pea-sized compound first but temps were still 90-105c under load. Then i applied whole tube smile.gif
My gpu oced now to 980 core/1200 memory, so under full load, 75c is pretty good right?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 x2 555 BE (O/C 4,0 GHz) Asus m5a78l-le MSI hd6850 Cyclone Power Edition OC 4 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 mhz 
Power
700W OCZ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 x2 555 BE (O/C 4,0 GHz) Asus m5a78l-le MSI hd6850 Cyclone Power Edition OC 4 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 mhz 
Power
700W OCZ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by woundedrider View Post

I know i tried pea-sized compound first but temps were still 90-105c under load. Then i applied whole tube smile.gif
My gpu oced now to 980 core/1200 memory, so under full load, 75c is pretty good right?

A whole tube? Holy crap dude! Way too much.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermonkey500 View Post

A whole tube? Holy crap dude! Way too much.
Have you ever seen the size of a mole on skin? That is how much you need to use OP.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks keep you warm View Post

Have you ever seen the size of a mole on skin? That is how much you need to use OP.



Better hope he doesn't have any like this biggrinsmiley.gif
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermonkey500 View Post


Better hope he doesn't have any like this biggrinsmiley.gif
That's not a mole... is it? what in gods name is it. Maybe a beauty mark then? Please don't post another hideous thing! tongue.gif
post #19 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socks keep you warm View Post

Have you ever seen the size of a mole on skin? That is how much you need to use OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powermonkey500 View Post


Better hope he doesn't have any like this biggrinsmiley.gif
poor woman frown.gif
Man, no harm comes from the compound you know.. "The best compound is the most compound" says out ancestors tongue.gif
It keeps my oc at 70-75c so that's the important thing smile.gif
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 x2 555 BE (O/C 4,0 GHz) Asus m5a78l-le MSI hd6850 Cyclone Power Edition OC 4 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 mhz 
Power
700W OCZ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 x2 555 BE (O/C 4,0 GHz) Asus m5a78l-le MSI hd6850 Cyclone Power Edition OC 4 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 mhz 
Power
700W OCZ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by woundedrider View Post

poor woman frown.gif
Man, no harm comes from the compound you know.. "The best compound is the most compound" says out ancestors tongue.gif
It keeps my oc at 70-75c so that's the important thing smile.gif

Too much paste is a very bad thing. It's not nearly as thermally conductive as metal and therefore hinders heat transfer. The thicker it is, the harder time heat has making it through it. It's to fill surface imperfections, so you should only use enough to do just that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Which Temp Is True???