Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CBSNews] Asteroid passes inside moon's orbit, buzzes Earth
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CBSNews] Asteroid passes inside moon's orbit, buzzes Earth - Page 4

post #31 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

I am guessing you do not have children...
But by that line of thought; why even heat your home?...obviously nature wanted you to freeze to death. Or transport food or water? Nature intended you to starve.
If we can control nature to our own benefit as a species we should do it...not really all that different than a bird making a nest. To just lay down and die when we might have the means to do something about it is insanity.

Hell yeah man, I'm all about letting nature take its course!! After I go to the eye doctor for contacts, pick up my car from the dealership for monthly maintenance, go visit my mom in the hospital after recovering from open heart surgery, and swing by the grocery store to pick up my oranges to get my daily dose of vitamin C. rolleyes.gif

::edit:: I've had people yell at me lately because they've failed to detect my sarcasm or joking nature when making hyperboles. So let me be clear, fellow OCNers, I support Vagrant Storm's opinion, and am instead mocking the other opinion.
First Time Build
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 920 MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Sony DVD+-RW Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer P215H Acer P221W Dynex Silverstone OP1000-E 1kW PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Dynex Dynex ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
First Time Build
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 920 MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Sony DVD+-RW Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer P215H Acer P221W Dynex Silverstone OP1000-E 1kW PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Dynex Dynex ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

Invalid argument, a "superior race" would do everything in its power to protect its self, just as all life does.

True, true. Hence why we need to make room for that superior race. Humans are too self-centered and too weak to make a collaborative effort to protect the existence of life on Earth. I say weak because we simply don't have the knowledge, technology or resources to build something that will shield us from destruction. Don't forget that there is always something bigger than us and we can't stop it. It's evolution at its best. See, Earth will be here forever, whether occupied by humans or any other race. I am sure, some day we will go extinct, not on Dec 21st though; I don't believe that crap.

Look at it this way, we had Windows 98, but we got rid of it to make room for Windows 7. And from time to time, it's good to get a fresh start by re-installing that Windows 7 OS. Although, Windows is not capable of protecting itself from us, we still made way for a better or fresh OS. It feels good to get a fresh start, but this time you will not attempt all the stupid stuff that got you a virus and all your banking data was stolen. I hope you understand where I am getting with this.

But the fact that we can survive invalidates your argument. You base your entire argument on some flawed, hyper-pessimistic world in which humans are hateful, unwilling to co-operate, and just plain stupid.

You say we are weak and don't have the knowledge we need, if that is true, why doesn't every species kill its self the moment it starts because it is impossible to start out being good enough by your standards.
Sysiphus 2.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB HGST Travelstar 128GB Samsung 830 SSD Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD Windows 8.1 
PowerCaseMouse
Rosewill HIVE-750 Xigmatek Aquila White Razer Naga Hex 
  hide details  
Reply
Sysiphus 2.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB HGST Travelstar 128GB Samsung 830 SSD Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD Windows 8.1 
PowerCaseMouse
Rosewill HIVE-750 Xigmatek Aquila White Razer Naga Hex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despair View Post

We really need a defense+detection system surrounding our planet for any kind of threateningly sized objects. On Friday the 13th MN4 will fly just 18000 miles above Earth, lower than most satellites. They initially thought it was going to hit Earth, but further research proved not.
But this data is from 2004, new data should be coming next year on MN4 actually. MN4 is 320 meters wide...if it hit us an area the size of Texas would be gone, and temperatures will drop because of all the debris. If it hits anywhere in the mid Atlantic or Pacific we are double screwed, whether it'd be West or East the lives lost would be into the 10s of millions, possibly 100s.
Kinda makes you think you'd want to prefer it to hit land haha. Not to mention the affect it would have on our climate. If you wanna read more about it there's an article here:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2005/13may_2004mn4/
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I kinda wish that would hit.

Not to see millions of people die or anything... just to be a part of something that unique and to see what the world would be like after

don't judge me bro.
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 94
140,000 miles and "buzzes" don't go together. Maybe 5,000 miles.
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
My Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom X4 965BE @ 3.4GHz Gigabyte Nvidia GTX260 216 2X2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
1TB WD HDD & 250GB WD HDD Windows 7 Asus VH 23" LED LCD Logitech Media 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Sparkle 550w CM690 MS Intellimouse 3.0 Qck+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwarren View Post

140,000 miles and "buzzes" don't go together. Maybe 5,000 miles.

I'm not a space junkie, but I'm pretty sure 140k miles in terms of objects this large and moving this fast in space most certainly does constitute "buzzing" Earth...
First Time Build
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 920 MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Sony DVD+-RW Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer P215H Acer P221W Dynex Silverstone OP1000-E 1kW PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Dynex Dynex ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
First Time Build
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 920 MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Sony DVD+-RW Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer P215H Acer P221W Dynex Silverstone OP1000-E 1kW PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Dynex Dynex ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 94
Quote:
True, true. Hence why we need to make room for that superior race. Humans are too self-centered and too weak to make a collaborative effort to protect the existence of life on Earth. I say weak because we simply don't have the knowledge, technology or resources to build something that will shield us from destruction. Don't forget that there is always something bigger than us and we can't stop it. It's evolution at its best. See, Earth will be here forever, whether occupied by humans or any other race. I am sure, some day we will go extinct, not on Dec 21st though; I don't believe that crap.

Look at it this way, we had Windows 98, but we got rid of it to make room for Windows 7. And from time to time, it's good to get a fresh start by re-installing that Windows 7 OS. Although, Windows is not capable of protecting itself from us, we still made way for a better or fresh OS. It feels good to get a fresh start, but this time you will not attempt all the stupid stuff that got you a virus and all your banking data was stolen. I hope you understand where I am getting with this.

Again Invalid argument, windows don't have intelligence like we do, and if it had it would have tried to evolve so as to suit our needs on its own rather than programmers at Microsoft churning out new improved editions one after another !

we are sentient beings unlike windows, and call it my arrogance or anything, but humans are not that weak, when faced by a common threat time and time again history has proved that people can and do look past their differences of caste creed religion etc and come together as one to fight for a greater cause , and that is fact !
Edited by ghost_z - 12/12/12 at 10:42am
post #37 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

But the fact that we can survive invalidates your argument. You base your entire argument on some flawed, hyper-pessimistic world in which humans are hateful, unwilling to co-operate, and just plain stupid.
You say we are weak and don't have the knowledge we need, if that is true, why doesn't every species kill its self the moment it starts because it is impossible to start out being good enough by your standards.

Let me ask you this, do you really think we can protect ourselves from an asteroid? Just be reasonable, can you think of anything? Humans cannot even protect themselves from floods, tsunamis, earthquakes or hurricanes...even with the knowledge and technology we have in the 21st century.

I never said we shouldn't try to survive, but the truth is, when something bigger than us takes control of our lives, there is not much you can do. It doesn't matter how sophisticated humans get, nature does not care about technology or knowledge or anything that we do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_z View Post

Again Invalid argument, windows don't have intelligence like we do, and if it had it would have tried to evolve so as to suit our needs on its own rather than programmers at Microsoft churning out new improved editions one after another !
we are sentient beings unlike windows, and call it my arrogance or anything, but humans are not that weak, when faced by a common thread time and time again history has proved that people can and do look past their differences of caste creed religion etc and come together as one to fight for a greater cause , and that is fact !

Windows wasn't my argument, Windows was an example. And why do you keep saying "invalid argument"? Just because our opinions differ, doesn't mean I am wrong and you are the only one who is correct.
Edited by Sevada88 - 12/12/12 at 10:40am
post #38 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

But the fact that we can survive invalidates your argument. You base your entire argument on some flawed, hyper-pessimistic world in which humans are hateful, unwilling to co-operate, and just plain stupid.
You say we are weak and don't have the knowledge we need, if that is true, why doesn't every species kill its self the moment it starts because it is impossible to start out being good enough by your standards.

Let me ask you this, do you really think we can protect ourselves from an asteroid? Just be reasonable, can you think of anything? Humans cannot even protect themselves from floods, tsunamis, earthquakes or hurricanes...even with the knowledge and technology we have in the 21st century.

I never said we shouldn't try to survive, but the truth is, when something bigger than us takes control of our lives, there is not much you can do. It doesn't matter how sophisticated humans get, nature does not care about technology or knowledge or anything that we do.

Except you are wrong again because we can protect ourselves from all of those things either directly or indirectly (including asteroids of almost any size given the right amount of time).
Sysiphus 2.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB HGST Travelstar 128GB Samsung 830 SSD Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD Windows 8.1 
PowerCaseMouse
Rosewill HIVE-750 Xigmatek Aquila White Razer Naga Hex 
  hide details  
Reply
Sysiphus 2.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB HGST Travelstar 128GB Samsung 830 SSD Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD Windows 8.1 
PowerCaseMouse
Rosewill HIVE-750 Xigmatek Aquila White Razer Naga Hex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada88 View Post

Let me ask you this, do you really think we can protect ourselves from an asteroid? Just be reasonable, can you think of anything? Humans cannot even protect themselves from floods, tsunamis, earthquakes or hurricanes...even with the knowledge and technology we have in the 21st century.
I never said we shouldn't try to survive, but the truth is, when something bigger than us takes control of our lives, there is not much you can do. It doesn't matter how sophisticated humans get, nature does not care about technology or knowledge or anything that we do.
Windows wasn't my argument, Windows was an example. And why do you keep saying "invalid argument"? Just because our opinions differ, doesn't mean I am wrong and you are the only one who is correct.

Ok then invalid example is what i will say tongue.gif
post #40 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

Except you are wrong again because we can protect ourselves from all of those things either directly or indirectly (including asteroids of almost any size given the right amount of time).

I'm sure the citizens of Japan, or survivors of Katrina, or anyone living in Latin America suffering from earthquakes, etc etc...would all disagree with this perspective
First Time Build
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 920 MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Sony DVD+-RW Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer P215H Acer P221W Dynex Silverstone OP1000-E 1kW PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Dynex Dynex ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
First Time Build
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 920 MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Sony DVD+-RW Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer P215H Acer P221W Dynex Silverstone OP1000-E 1kW PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Dynex Dynex ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CBSNews] Asteroid passes inside moon's orbit, buzzes Earth