Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CBSNews] Asteroid passes inside moon's orbit, buzzes Earth
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CBSNews] Asteroid passes inside moon's orbit, buzzes Earth - Page 5

post #41 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

Except you are wrong again because we can protect ourselves from all of those things either directly or indirectly (including asteroids of almost any size given the right amount of time).

We can, really? Hmm, you must have forgotten the tsunami of 2004, 2011, and Hurricane Sandy...

But please, do tell, how can we protect ourselves from asteroids (no pun intended)
post #42 of 94
Double post, sorry.
Edited by Sevada88 - 12/12/12 at 10:47am
post #43 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3machi7ke View Post

I'm sure the citizens of Japan, or survivors of Katrina, or anyone living in Latin America suffering from earthquakes, etc etc...would all disagree with this perspective

So people did survive then...

Maybe we can protect ourselves from these natural disasters in that some people do survive...
Main
(21 items)
 
HTPC
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2550k P8P67 Pro Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill RipJaws X 1600 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 120 WD Blue 500GB WD Caviar Green 1TB XSPC RayStorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX240 MCR 220 EK 7950 Copper Acetal  DDC-1T 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-bit Dell U2311H Oculus Rift DK2 Ducky Shine 3 MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX 750W CoolerMaster CM690 II G500 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
A10-6800K Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI G Skill 1600 CAS9 Kingston SSD Now 60GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 1TB LG Slim Blu-Ray player Silverstone NT06-PRO  Widows 7 Home Premium 
PowerCase
Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(21 items)
 
HTPC
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2550k P8P67 Pro Sapphire HD 7950 G.Skill RipJaws X 1600 Cas 9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Force 120 WD Blue 500GB WD Caviar Green 1TB XSPC RayStorm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
RX240 MCR 220 EK 7950 Copper Acetal  DDC-1T 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64-bit Dell U2311H Oculus Rift DK2 Ducky Shine 3 MX Brown 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX 750W CoolerMaster CM690 II G500 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 
Audio
Asus Xonar DX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
A10-6800K Gigabyte GA-F2A85XN-WIFI G Skill 1600 CAS9 Kingston SSD Now 60GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Blue 1TB LG Slim Blu-Ray player Silverstone NT06-PRO  Widows 7 Home Premium 
PowerCase
Silverstone Sfx Series ST45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

So people did survive then...
Maybe we can protect ourselves from these natural disasters in that some people do survive...

Surviving a natural disaster doesn't mean we protected ourselves from it. Surviving getting hit by a car doesn't mean you protected yourself against it. In the scenario we're talking about... i'd say that's a decent comparison.
Malice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 240GB Samsung 500gb HDD  Samsung 300gb HDD Seagate 500gb HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 1TB HDD LG DVD Super-Multi Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU cooler Windows 7 64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VH236H 23" HD Saitek Eclipse I Backlit - Blue Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced 
MouseAudio
Roccat Kone+ Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
Reply
Malice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 240GB Samsung 500gb HDD  Samsung 300gb HDD Seagate 500gb HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 1TB HDD LG DVD Super-Multi Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU cooler Windows 7 64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VH236H 23" HD Saitek Eclipse I Backlit - Blue Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced 
MouseAudio
Roccat Kone+ Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn View Post

So people did survive then...
Maybe we can protect ourselves from these natural disasters in that some people do survive...

the scale of those events compared to the scale of an asteroid the size of Texas hitting the earth are not on the same scale. What I'm saying is this. We (humans) have been experiencing hurricanes/tornadoes/earthquakes/natural disasters for thousands of years. We still have yet to limit the amount of damage done during those events, and large amounts of people have lost their lives and the cleanup/rebuilding process is still ongoing, years later. So if we haven't learned a way to protect ourselves (not simply survive) from such basic and semi-normal occurances, what evidence exists that shows we can survive something like this smacking into Earth? Will people survive, most likely some might. But can you really call it "protecting yourself" when such destruction occurs on such a large level?
First Time Build
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 920 MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Sony DVD+-RW Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer P215H Acer P221W Dynex Silverstone OP1000-E 1kW PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Dynex Dynex ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
First Time Build
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 920 MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Sony DVD+-RW Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer P215H Acer P221W Dynex Silverstone OP1000-E 1kW PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Dynex Dynex ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3machi7ke View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

Except you are wrong again because we can protect ourselves from all of those things either directly or indirectly (including asteroids of almost any size given the right amount of time).

I'm sure the citizens of Japan, or survivors of Katrina, or anyone living in Latin America suffering from earthquakes, etc etc...would all disagree with this perspective

I said that we can, not that we do. We do have methods for predicting potential earthquakes and ways of building earthquake resistant buildings. We can build dams and levies to hold back the waters, and move out of the way by land, sea, or air when we can't hold them back. We have radar and satellite prediction for hurricanes, and we can board up our windows and move out of the way because we know what's coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

Except you are wrong again because we can protect ourselves from all of those things either directly or indirectly (including asteroids of almost any size given the right amount of time).

We can, really? Hmm, you must have forgotten the tsunami of 2004, 2011, and Hurricane Sandy...

But please, do tell, how can we protect ourselves from asteroids (no pun intended)

Se above for the first.

As for asteroids, something as simple as a solar sail deployed on an asteroid several years before it would possibly impact us could push it out of impact orbit with Earth. That is not to mention more complicated methods such as attaching rockets to it or simply detonating a nuclear bomb close to it to propel it away.
Sysiphus 2.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB HGST Travelstar 128GB Samsung 830 SSD Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD Windows 8.1 
PowerCaseMouse
Rosewill HIVE-750 Xigmatek Aquila White Razer Naga Hex 
  hide details  
Reply
Sysiphus 2.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB HGST Travelstar 128GB Samsung 830 SSD Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD Windows 8.1 
PowerCaseMouse
Rosewill HIVE-750 Xigmatek Aquila White Razer Naga Hex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

I said that we can, not that we do. We do have methods for predicting potential earthquakes and ways of building earthquake resistant buildings. We can build dams and levies to hold back the waters, and move out of the way by land, sea, or air when we can't hold them back. We have radar and satellite prediction for hurricanes, and we can board up our windows and move out of the way because we know what's coming.

Sorry but that's just too funny. Isn't that a big problem? If we can detect e.g. an earthquake or tsunami in time, why are there still people dying because of these?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

Se above for the first.
As for asteroids, something as simple as a solar sail deployed on an asteroid several years before it would possibly impact us could push it out of impact orbit with Earth. That is not to mention more complicated methods such as attaching rockets to it or simply detonating a nuclear bomb close to it to propel it away.

And this is proven technology or are you getting that from Hollywood's finest sci-fi movies?
Edited by Sevada88 - 12/12/12 at 10:59am
post #48 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada88 View Post

Let me ask you this, do you really think we can protect ourselves from an asteroid? Just be reasonable, can you think of anything? Humans cannot even protect themselves from floods, tsunamis, earthquakes or hurricanes...even with the knowledge and technology we have in the 21st century.
I never said we shouldn't try to survive, but the truth is, when something bigger than us takes control of our lives, there is not much you can do. It doesn't matter how sophisticated humans get, nature does not care about technology or knowledge or anything that we do.

it is harder to protect our selves from floods, tsunamis, and earthquakes because we don't know they are coming. We can however build buildings to have a better chance to survive them in areas that are prone to them and educated people how to survive them. Hurricanes we at least know they are coming, but there is little we can do since you are talking about air...it is hard to change the weather, but if people properly prepare for it there would be little to no problems. An asteroid is a different matter...it is a physical object that can be destroyed or affected in a matter so that it would miss us with a well placed blast.

You see...even in the situations that we can't protect ourselves from we still prepare and design our lives to absorb the disaster. We never lay down and let nature have its way if we have a choice. Some times nature will be unexpected and catch us off guard, but that is one reason why we are tracking and searching for asteroids that might come near us. Sure if we find out that we have an asteroid the size of Texas that is going to hit us in 30 minutes...yeah...we are toast, but it would be very unlikely to happen that way. For something really big we would probably know about it a year in advance...I have no doubt we could do something about it give that amount of time even with our current technology.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2600K @ 4.7GHz Asus P8P67 B3 GTX 580 EVGA Hydro Copper 2 GTX 580 EVGA  
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws bunch of 'em Blu-Ray For movies Windows 8.1 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
24.4" Hans G HH251 X2 Yamakasi DS270  Blah 1000watt Super Flower 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Built into Desk Microsoft SideWinder X8 Comfy one... Creative Extreme Gamer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevada88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

I said that we can, not that we do. We do have methods for predicting potential earthquakes and ways of building earthquake resistant buildings. We can build dams and levies to hold back the waters, and move out of the way by land, sea, or air when we can't hold them back. We have radar and satellite prediction for hurricanes, and we can board up our windows and move out of the way because we know what's coming.

Sorry but that's just too funny. Isn't that a big problem? If we can detect e.g. an earthquake or tsunami in time, why are there still people dying because of these?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

Se above for the first.
As for asteroids, something as simple as a solar sail deployed on an asteroid several years before it would possibly impact us could push it out of impact orbit with Earth. That is not to mention more complicated methods such as attaching rockets to it or simply detonating a nuclear bomb close to it to propel it away.

And this is proven technology or are you getting that from Hollywood's finest sci-fi movies?

Because we are not perfect, and no living being ever will be. Even with your supposed "superior race" there would still be death and destruction that they could not prevent all of even if they could do what we can to minimize the effects. You are expecting perfection in a universe where it does not exist in any form.

If you actually cared to read up on topics before arguing, you'd know that these are all proposed methods for dealing with objects that are projected to impact earth.
Sysiphus 2.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB HGST Travelstar 128GB Samsung 830 SSD Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD Windows 8.1 
PowerCaseMouse
Rosewill HIVE-750 Xigmatek Aquila White Razer Naga Hex 
  hide details  
Reply
Sysiphus 2.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690k Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5 MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G G.SKILL Sniper 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB HGST Travelstar 128GB Samsung 830 SSD Phanteks PH-TC12DX_RD Windows 8.1 
PowerCaseMouse
Rosewill HIVE-750 Xigmatek Aquila White Razer Naga Hex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Storm View Post

You see...even in the situations that we can't protect ourselves from we still prepare and design our lives to absorb the disaster. We never lay down and let nature have its way if we have a choice. Some times nature will be unexpected and catch us off guard, but that is one reason why we are tracking and searching for asteroids that might come near us. Sure if we find out that we have an asteroid the size of Texas that is going to hit us in 30 minutes...yeah...we are toast, but it would be very unlikely to happen that way. For something really big we would probably know about it a year in advance...I have no doubt we could do something about it give that amount of time even with our current technology.

That makes sense, and I completely agree. Our brains are designed to give us ideas to survive. We are capable of creating things that aid in our survival. Yet, I doubt we could do anything about an asteroid the size of Texas. Sorry, but I find it hard to believe. Sure, maybe in 10,000 years, but not anytime soon. Any other technology we have, is unproven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millillion View Post

Because we are not perfect, and no living being ever will be. Even with your supposed "superior race" there would still be death and destruction that they could not prevent all of even if they could do what we can to minimize the effects. You are expecting perfection in a universe where it does not exist in any form.
If you actually cared to read up on topics before arguing, you'd know that these are all proposed methods for dealing with objects that are projected to impact earth.

I never said the superior race would be perfect and there would be no death and destruction. Neither did I say they could prevent all of it.

I will take your advice and read on the subject, sorry if I offended you. And still, I doubt there is any real counter measure that we can use. Everything we have now is simply for monitoring and detecting threats.
Edited by Sevada88 - 12/12/12 at 11:12am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CBSNews] Asteroid passes inside moon's orbit, buzzes Earth