Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › [Official] Creative Sound Blaster Z, Zx & ZxR Series Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Creative Sound Blaster Z, Zx & ZxR Series Club - Page 220

post #2191 of 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaven0taste View Post

Has anyone had trouble with this sound card randomly not being recognized when you turn your computer on? I just uninstalled the drivers and am trying to pull them down off the page and it is saying "setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system" Can anyone link me a good driver download, i'm pulling it right off their site.

I think you should reseat the card firmly in the PCI-E slot on your mobo. Many Creative cards have done this to me before.

Anybody got a problem when there is a CPU load hike that the sound would stutter for a sec ?
post #2192 of 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaven0taste View Post

Has anyone had trouble with this sound card randomly not being recognized when you turn your computer on? I just uninstalled the drivers and am trying to pull them down off the page and it is saying "setup is unable to detect a supported product on your system" Can anyone link me a good driver download, i'm pulling it right off their site.

Ahhh, the old windows 7 hardware ID bug raises its head again, this happened with the X-Fi PCI and PCI-E series as well, this would hit my old X-Fi Titanium at least once or twice a year, less often than my USB studio mic which seems to get it once a month, but just as much a god damn pain in the ass.

The only way to fix this unfortunately is to do one of two things:

1: Turn of all power for the PC for about 30 minutes, including unplugging from the wall. This most of the time fixes it.

2. Turn off PC, move sound card to another PCI-E slot, turn on PC, let windows detect it and give the card a new hardware ID, then install the drivers there OR turn off the PC, move the card back to the original PCI-E slot, turn PC back on, in which windows will issue it another new hardware ID and then install the drivers. This ALWAYS works.

Nobody knows why this happens, its some phantom gremlin that pops up for anything that's not videocards for some reason, or at least I've never heard of videocards losing their device ID before, but yeah, this is an old, old, old, old phantom windows bug that rears its head all the time with windows, just creative cards tend to get it the most, but I've had it happen with tons of devices I own like mice, microphones, keyboards etc, just those are easy to fix cause you just move it to another USB slot for 5 seconds to get issued a new hardware ID, something like a sound card you have to dismantle the PC for 10 minutes and play musical slot chairs till windows wakes up and gives a new hardware ID

And no, NOBODY knows why this happens, but it happens with Windows 7 and is a really really really old and well known issue. The upside is I've never seen it happen to Windows 8, or at least not heard about it. Sucks too cause even if you take the card out, and stick it back in, windows won't detect it unless you move slots.
Edited by ShamisOMally - 3/31/14 at 6:34pm
post #2193 of 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamisOMally View Post

Ahhh, the old hardware ID bug raises its head again, this happened with the X-Fi PCI and PCI-E series as well, this would hit my old X-Fi Titanium at least once or twice a year, less often than my USB studio mic which seems to get it once a month, but just as much a god damn pain in the ass.

The only way to fix this unfortunately is to do one of two things:

1: Turn of all power for the PC for about 30 minutes, including unplugging from the wall. This most of the time fixes it.

2. Turn off PC, move sound card to another PCI-E slot, turn on PC, let windows detect it and give the card a new hardware ID, then install the drivers there OR turn off the PC, move the card back to the original PCI-E slot, turn PC back on, in which windows will issue it another new hardware ID and then install the drivers. This ALWAYS works.

Nobody knows why this happens, its some phantom gremlin that pops up for anything that's not videocards for some reason, or at least I've never heard of videocards losing their device ID before, but yeah, this is an old, old, old, old phantom windows bug that rears its head all the time with windows, just creative cards tend to get it the most, but I've had it happen with tons of devices I own like mice, microphones, keyboards etc, just those are easy to fix cause you just move it to another USB slot for 5 seconds to get issued a new hardware ID, something like a sound card you have to dismantle the PC for 10 minutes and play musical slot chairs till windows wakes up and gives a new hardware ID

And no, NOBODY knows why this happens, but it happens with Windows 7 and is a really really really old and well known issue. The upside is I've never seen it happen to Windows 8, or at least not heard about it. Sucks too cause even if you take the card out, and stick it back in, windows won't detect it unless you move slots.

Ok yeah this happened to me once before and i let my comp sit off for a min or 2 but not 30. I'll be more than happy to try that. Appreciate all the help everyone!
post #2194 of 5496
Thread Starter 

If your card is not being recognize in one specific slot, make sure the BIOS is up to dated and set the slot at x1 instead of x16 mode etc.

 
≡ Snowbaru ≡
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3930K 4.9Ghz Asus Sabertooth X79 EVGA GTX TITAN 1250Mhz KPE/Hybrid BIOS (SOLD) NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Founder Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32GB Samsung 30nm 2400Mhz OCZ Vertex 4 Samsung 850 EVO 13000GB HDDs 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EKWB Custom Watercooling, XSPC, Bitpower, Primo... Windows 10 Pro x64 (1607) ASUS PG278Q G-SYNC (2560x1440) Logitech G910 Onion Spark 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Gold Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Logitech G440 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Logitech G933 Xbox One Controller Asus RT-AC68U Hitron CDA3 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
5HP 5HP 5HP 5HP 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
5HP 5HP 5HP 5HP 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
5HP 5HP 5HP 5HP 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
5HP 5HP 5HP 5HP 
Other
5HP 
  hide details  
Reply
 
≡ Snowbaru ≡
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3930K 4.9Ghz Asus Sabertooth X79 EVGA GTX TITAN 1250Mhz KPE/Hybrid BIOS (SOLD) NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Founder Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
32GB Samsung 30nm 2400Mhz OCZ Vertex 4 Samsung 850 EVO 13000GB HDDs 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EKWB Custom Watercooling, XSPC, Bitpower, Primo... Windows 10 Pro x64 (1607) ASUS PG278Q G-SYNC (2560x1440) Logitech G910 Onion Spark 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Gold Fractal Design Define S Logitech G502 Logitech G440 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Logitech G933 Xbox One Controller Asus RT-AC68U Hitron CDA3 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
5HP 5HP 5HP 5HP 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
5HP 5HP 5HP 5HP 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
5HP 5HP 5HP 5HP 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
5HP 5HP 5HP 5HP 
Other
5HP 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2195 of 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesoul View Post

Hi everyone,
So after reading the last 20 pages of this thread, I'm confused.
Is the creative z a good card? Is there any problems with software? Or are they fixed?
For someone who have an Asus xonar dx, is an Z card an good upgrade? (For headphones and mostly gaming). I know dx doesn't have headphones amp.. But there's no software issues until now(and i'm using it for the last 3 or 4 years)
Thanks in advance

As someone who went from the DX to the Z, dont even bother, unless you want the SBX surround

Pros of the Z over the DX is very slightly better drivers.. but creative.

Least the DX has a community of modded drivers (dont start on PAX, please.)

Its purely a sidegrade, it even has the same DAC as the DX, which if it runs your headphones fine now, you most likely wont notice a difference.
post #2196 of 5496
Hey Guys,

I am having a little bit of an issue. I have the Soundblaster ZX and I just moved all my stuff to a new H440 that I got. With the new GPU I got it ended up being in the way of the slot I initially had the card in. I had to move it to the other slot which is directly under my GPU. At first it wasn't even letting me select the card but I re-installed the drivers and now it's at least working. I can't get the opitical out which is going to my receiver and the headphones to work at the same time. I have to go into the sound settings in Windows and change the default playback method anytime I want to change. Obviously this is an annoyance and it wasn't something I had to deal with before.

I think part of the issue is that Windows still seems to think I have the old card installed. There are duplicates of the opitical out, headphones, speakers and all that in Windows sound settings. What do you guys think I should do about this? I am thinking that a clean install would probably be the best idea. Unseat it from the MB and uninstall all the drivers then put it back in and start fresh? How hard is it to remove the drivers do I just do an uninstall on the creative stuff?
First Build
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5-2500k ASROCK P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 ASUS 560 ti ASUS 560 ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
4 GB x2 G. Skill Ripjaw Series Seagate Barracuda 500GB 64 GB Crucial M4 SSD Standard ASUS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770HD Ducky Dk-1008 OCN Version 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Corsair 400R Razer Naga  X-Trac Ripper XXL 
AudioAudio
Creative Soundblaster ZX Ultrasone Pro 550 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5-2500k ASROCK P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 ASUS 560 ti ASUS 560 ti 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
4 GB x2 G. Skill Ripjaw Series Seagate Barracuda 500GB 64 GB Crucial M4 SSD Standard ASUS 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212 EVO Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770HD Ducky Dk-1008 OCN Version 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX750 Corsair 400R Razer Naga  X-Trac Ripper XXL 
AudioAudio
Creative Soundblaster ZX Ultrasone Pro 550 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2197 of 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamisOMally View Post

Ahhh, the old windows 7 hardware ID bug raises its head again, this happened with the X-Fi PCI and PCI-E series as well, this would hit my old X-Fi Titanium at least once or twice a year, less often than my USB studio mic which seems to get it once a month, but just as much a god damn pain in the ass.

The only way to fix this unfortunately is to do one of two things:

1: Turn of all power for the PC for about 30 minutes, including unplugging from the wall. This most of the time fixes it.

2. Turn off PC, move sound card to another PCI-E slot, turn on PC, let windows detect it and give the card a new hardware ID, then install the drivers there OR turn off the PC, move the card back to the original PCI-E slot, turn PC back on, in which windows will issue it another new hardware ID and then install the drivers. This ALWAYS works.

Nobody knows why this happens, its some phantom gremlin that pops up for anything that's not videocards for some reason, or at least I've never heard of videocards losing their device ID before, but yeah, this is an old, old, old, old phantom windows bug that rears its head all the time with windows, just creative cards tend to get it the most, but I've had it happen with tons of devices I own like mice, microphones, keyboards etc, just those are easy to fix cause you just move it to another USB slot for 5 seconds to get issued a new hardware ID, something like a sound card you have to dismantle the PC for 10 minutes and play musical slot chairs till windows wakes up and gives a new hardware ID

And no, NOBODY knows why this happens, but it happens with Windows 7 and is a really really really old and well known issue. The upside is I've never seen it happen to Windows 8, or at least not heard about it. Sucks too cause even if you take the card out, and stick it back in, windows won't detect it unless you move slots.

It happens on Windows 8.1. Happened to me last night. Unplugging my tower for a minute fixed the problem.
ROG GT-R
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4770K Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula EVGA GTX 980 EVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1600Mhz 16GB OCZ Vertex 3  Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro X64 Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cougar CMX1000 Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower ASUS ROG GX1000 Eagle Eye Archelon Redragon 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster ZXR Corsair SP2500 Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohms Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
ROG GT-R
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 4770K Asus ROG Maximus VI Formula EVGA GTX 980 EVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3 1600Mhz 16GB OCZ Vertex 3  Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H100i Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro X64 Asus ROG Swift PG278Q Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Cougar CMX1000 Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower ASUS ROG GX1000 Eagle Eye Archelon Redragon 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Creative Sound Blaster ZXR Corsair SP2500 Beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO 250 Ohms Logitech G930 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2198 of 5496
quote (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamisOMally View Post

Ahhh, the old windows 7 hardware ID bug raises its head again, this happened with the X-Fi PCI and PCI-E series as well, this would hit my old X-Fi Titanium at least once or twice a year, less often than my USB studio mic which seems to get it once a month, but just as much a god damn pain in the ass.

The only way to fix this unfortunately is to do one of two things:

1: Turn of all power for the PC for about 30 minutes, including unplugging from the wall. This most of the time fixes it.

2. Turn off PC, move sound card to another PCI-E slot, turn on PC, let windows detect it and give the card a new hardware ID, then install the drivers there OR turn off the PC, move the card back to the original PCI-E slot, turn PC back on, in which windows will issue it another new hardware ID and then install the drivers. This ALWAYS works.

Nobody knows why this happens, its some phantom gremlin that pops up for anything that's not videocards for some reason, or at least I've never heard of videocards losing their device ID before, but yeah, this is an old, old, old, old phantom windows bug that rears its head all the time with windows, just creative cards tend to get it the most, but I've had it happen with tons of devices I own like mice, microphones, keyboards etc, just those are easy to fix cause you just move it to another USB slot for 5 seconds to get issued a new hardware ID, something like a sound card you have to dismantle the PC for 10 minutes and play musical slot chairs till windows wakes up and gives a new hardware ID

And no, NOBODY knows why this happens, but it happens with Windows 7 and is a really really really old and well known issue. The upside is I've never seen it happen to Windows 8, or at least not heard about it. Sucks too cause even if you take the card out, and stick it back in, windows won't detect it unless you move slots.

I would expect that to be an IRQ assign fault, this is particularly common with classic PCI, its basically the BIOS not detecting the hardware correctly and it either assigns an inappropriate IRQ or doesnt assign one in general, can also happen if you remove the hardware too, a basic fix is to reset CMOS.

quote (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotskil View Post

Hey Guys,

I am having a little bit of an issue. I have the Soundblaster ZX and I just moved all my stuff to a new H440 that I got. With the new GPU I got it ended up being in the way of the slot I initially had the card in. I had to move it to the other slot which is directly under my GPU. At first it wasn't even letting me select the card but I re-installed the drivers and now it's at least working. I can't get the opitical out which is going to my receiver and the headphones to work at the same time. I have to go into the sound settings in Windows and change the default playback method anytime I want to change. Obviously this is an annoyance and it wasn't something I had to deal with before.

I think part of the issue is that Windows still seems to think I have the old card installed. There are duplicates of the opitical out, headphones, speakers and all that in Windows sound settings. What do you guys think I should do about this? I am thinking that a clean install would probably be the best idea. Unseat it from the MB and uninstall all the drivers then put it back in and start fresh? How hard is it to remove the drivers do I just do an uninstall on the creative stuff?

uninstall drivers and start fresh again is probably your best bet, generally you cant get both to run at the same time unless you enable "upmix whatyouhear to digital out" (or whatever its called, its in the creative panel) or do the classic windows way and have "listen to this input" on whatyouhear set to the digital out.

if windows still thinks the card is there after a driver uninstall, you possibly have something like I mentioned above, reset your CMOS. (and be sure to set everything in BIOS back to what it was of course)

edit; oh and graphics not being affected may be related to intel and amd GPUs using the inverse range of the spectrum, realtech lan also seems to do this, nvidia cards however I'm pretty sure use standard range.
Edited by Paul17041993 - 3/31/14 at 10:48pm
   
build server
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R5-1600X GA-AX370-G5 AMD R9-290X Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200 C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ADATA SX8000NF 2x Samsung 850 pro 256GB 2x WD Red 2TB RAID1 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Shingle 8TB EK Supremacy EVO + EK 290X R2 + backplate + EK-... Windows 10 Pro 4k 24" samung PLS freesync 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1200p 24" samsung Corsair K70 Red Seasonic 1000W Platinum Raven RV01 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60/M45 Corsair gigabyte dual-onboard audio HDMI 8ch LPCM 24@192k DAC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD AthlonII 640 x4 Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 nvidia GTX 460SE Corsair Dominator 2*2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 500GB some sony DVD burner stock, case has a nice side duct though Windows 7 home premium 64bit 
PowerCase
Arctic Cooling 550R Gigabyte mATX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom 230 some all-in-one Mini-ITX board Intel GMA 950 some 1GB stick 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 320GB LightScribe DVD burner? passive stock Oracle Linux 
PowerCase
integrated in the motherboard, 65W power brick compaque stock Mini-ITX case 
  hide details  
Reply
   
build server
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R5-1600X GA-AX370-G5 AMD R9-290X Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200 C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ADATA SX8000NF 2x Samsung 850 pro 256GB 2x WD Red 2TB RAID1 OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Shingle 8TB EK Supremacy EVO + EK 290X R2 + backplate + EK-... Windows 10 Pro 4k 24" samung PLS freesync 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1200p 24" samsung Corsair K70 Red Seasonic 1000W Platinum Raven RV01 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60/M45 Corsair gigabyte dual-onboard audio HDMI 8ch LPCM 24@192k DAC 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD AthlonII 640 x4 Gigabyte 880GM-USB3 nvidia GTX 460SE Corsair Dominator 2*2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 500GB some sony DVD burner stock, case has a nice side duct though Windows 7 home premium 64bit 
PowerCase
Arctic Cooling 550R Gigabyte mATX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom 230 some all-in-one Mini-ITX board Intel GMA 950 some 1GB stick 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 320GB LightScribe DVD burner? passive stock Oracle Linux 
PowerCase
integrated in the motherboard, 65W power brick compaque stock Mini-ITX case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2199 of 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axaion View Post

As someone who went from the DX to the Z, don't bother, unless you want the SBX surround

Pros of the Z over the DX is very slightly better drivers.. but creative.

Least the DX has a community of modded drivers (dont start on PAX, please.)

Its purely a sidegrade, it even has the same DAC as the DX, which if it runs your headphones fine now, you most likely wont notice a difference.

Thank you all for your opinions.
@Axaion, I know dx have the same dac as z, but the problem is, the sound on my headphones feel bassy/muffled, and they're brand new, senn's hd 558. I thought they would sound more neutral and crisp...
If turn the volume way up, sound becomes a little better but that's not comfortable for my ears.. If I turn up the volume more than 25%, sound becomes too loud and I don't want to become deaf... tongue.gif
Maybe this is because dx doesn't have an headphones amp?
Also i'm using win7 64 bit, so this card is going to be an issue?
I only use my pc for browsing, some videos on youtube but mostly gaming...
Edited by Snakesoul - 4/1/14 at 1:26am
Old but fast
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Asus P8Z77-V LE AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series G. 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G. Samsung 500GB LG dvd wr arctic cooler freezer 13 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
win 7 64 Benq XL 2411t Roccat Arvo corsair tx650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM 690 II Advanced Zowie ec2-a SS Qck Heavy Sennheiser hd 558 & zalmann mic clip 
Audio
Asus Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
Old but fast
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Asus P8Z77-V LE AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series G. 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G. Samsung 500GB LG dvd wr arctic cooler freezer 13 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
win 7 64 Benq XL 2411t Roccat Arvo corsair tx650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM 690 II Advanced Zowie ec2-a SS Qck Heavy Sennheiser hd 558 & zalmann mic clip 
Audio
Asus Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2200 of 5496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesoul View Post

Thank you all for your opinions.
@Axaion, I know dx have the same dac as z, but the problem is, the sound on my headphones feel bassy/muffled, and they're brand new, senn's hd 558. I thought they would sound more neutral and crisp...
If turn the volume way up, sound becomes a little better but that's not comfortable for my ears.. If I turn up the volume more than 25%, sound becomes too loud and I don't want to become deaf... tongue.gif
Maybe this is because dx doesn't have an headphones amp?
Also i'm using win7 64 bit, so this card is going to be an issue?
I only use my pc for browsing, some videos on youtube but mostly gaming...

I used my DX with HD555's (modded but anyhow..) and there is almost no sound difference between the two cards, specially as if you want the higher quality audio, you use the line out, and not headphone out

youre better off getting an amp for the DX, specially if you dont want to pay 100usd for the SBX software


...Also i got a nasty channel bug with headphone out which makes me unable to use binarual sounds, and i have the version with gold caps too :'(
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › [Official] Creative Sound Blaster Z, Zx & ZxR Series Club