Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Help w/ making fresh cables for a Corsair 1200AX
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help w/ making fresh cables for a Corsair 1200AX

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Hey guys/gals, I'm hoping that somebody can point me in the right direction, as I'm digging through threads and can't seem to really find the info I need (or conflicting info), I wouldn't be shocked if I'm missing something obvious, but whatever!

So to get it out of the way, I have done cable sleeving before on my old Antec and loved it, was a fun, calming (same for building arcade sticks for that matter), and now that I'm finally sitting down to build a new PC it's time again to figure out color schemes and get sleeving!
Wasn't perfect, but for my first time, was pretty happy with myself! (Click to show)

But that's not where I need help, I got a good enough grasp on sleeving that if I need any help, I know where to find it.

Where I'm getting stumped is that I want to make a set of cable from scratch instead of tearing apart the ones that go with the 1200AX (which I don't actually own yet, as I want to get a head start on sleeving before I do a massive order).

For example, what size of wiring should hunt down, a wire map for the connectors (do they have the cables set up 1:1, or do they do something weird with it), whatever other junk I can't think of but I should know anyway!

Still, any help would be appreciated!
post #2 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaegg View Post

I wouldn't be shocked if I'm missing something obvious, but whatever!

Sticky thread http://www.overclock.net/t/1262900/frequently-asked-sleeving-questions/

biggrin.gif
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
Lori Lemaris 023
(21 items)
 
Felicity Harmon
(23 items)
 
Moneypenny
(12 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 16
The AX1200 24 pin is not 1:1, it splits into 2 connectors on the PSU side (10 pin and 14 pin if I recall off the top of my head) There is one (1) double wire on the 24 pin.

The 8 pin EPS power nor the PCIe are 1:1 either... If I recall the EPS PSU pin 1 goes to pin 5 on the MB side, 2 to 6, 3 to 7, 5 to 1, 6 to 2 or something like that.

You'll need 18AWG wire, preferably matching the sleeve color. Female Mini Fit Jr. pins and connectors. Again I think they are 10 and 14 conductor connectors for the PSU on the 24 pin, and 8 conductor PCIe connectors for the EPS/PCIe on the PSU. Peripheral use an odd duck connector that I have only found one source for...

I have the pinout for the AX650/750/850 and 1200 in an excel spreadsheet I can send you, but I would need to explain how to read it. tongue.gif

You would be better off waiting for the PSU to arrive so you can look at it first to understand. thumb.gif

Edit:
24 pin pinout on AX1200,

Edited by 350 Malibu - 12/18/12 at 4:20pm
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Malibu View Post

The AX1200 24 pin is not 1:1, it splits into 2 connectors on the PSU side (10 pin and 14 pin if I recall off the top of my head) There is one (1) double wire on the 24 pin.
The 8 pin EPS power nor the PCIe are 1:1 either... If I recall the EPS PSU pin 1 goes to pin 5 on the MB side, 2 to 6, 3 to 7, 5 to 1, 6 to 2 or something like that.
You'll need 18AWG wire, preferably matching the sleeve color. Female Mini Fit Jr. pins and connectors. Again I think they are 10 and 14 conductor connectors for the PSU on the 24 pin, and 8 conductor PCIe connectors for the EPS/PCIe on the PSU. Peripheral use an odd duck connector that I have only found one source for...
I have the pinout for the AX650/750/850 and 1200 in an excel spreadsheet I can send you, but I would need to explain how to read it. tongue.gif
You would be better off waiting for the PSU to arrive so you can look at it first to understand. thumb.gif
Edit:
24 pin pinout on AX1200,

Just the type of info I was looking for!

Though unless I'm misunderstanding that image (which I'm pretty sure I'm not), the full 24 pin cable is basically completely twisted, wouldn't this make doing a multi colour sleeving design damn near impossible to keep clean without doing an extension instead?
post #5 of 16
All PSU cables are 18AWG wire if I am correct. FrozenCPU.com has all the parts you need, wire, connectors, and pins. I was looking into doing this as well for my build but after doing some math I discovered it was much cheaper to just buy all black cable extensions and then just sleeve them thumb.gifsmile.gif
post #6 of 16
Sory if this is a stupid question
But why would you make your own cable sleeving when Corsair make sleeved cable for their PSU´s
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 x2 Dali Opticon 1 
AudioOtherOther
Dali E12 F Subwoofer CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 x2 Dali Opticon 1 
AudioOtherOther
Dali E12 F Subwoofer CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

Sory if this is a stupid question
But why would you make your own cable sleeving when Corsair make sleeved cable for their PSU´s

Why do I work on arcade sticks when I could just buy one instead? Why do I build PC's when I could buy one?Why do anything if I could just get someone else to? I could just pay someone else to make sleeved extensions, so why do it myself?

Pride? Joy? Amusement? OCD? Artistic design?

Show me a set of sleeved cables from them doing a custom 3 colour design using colours that are highly unused to start with.

While I'm musing over the idea of just sleeving the cables it comes with instead of going further and making my own cables, I still find it an enjoyable experience.
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaegg View Post

Why do I work on arcade sticks when I could just buy one instead? Why do I build PC's when I could buy one?Why do anything if I could just get someone else to? I could just pay someone else to make sleeved extensions, so why do it myself?
Pride? Joy? Amusement? OCD? Artistic design?
Show me a set of sleeved cables from them doing a custom 3 colour design using colours that are highly unused to start with.
While I'm musing over the idea of just sleeving the cables it comes with instead of going further and making my own cables, I still find it an enjoyable experience.
Fair enough i was just curious i think its great what you are doing so keep it up
I did not mean to sound like a douchebag when i asked
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 x2 Dali Opticon 1 
AudioOtherOther
Dali E12 F Subwoofer CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
Seravee
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core I7 6850K Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 Kingston HyperX DDR4 Savage 3000 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo WD Green WD60EZRX  WD Red WD80EFZX 8TB  Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
LG CH12NS30 x5 Noctua NF-A14 FLX Noctua NH-D15S Windows 7 64 Bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PG279Q LG 49UH750V 4K LED TV Corsair Gaming Strafe RGB EVGA SuperNova G2 750 watt 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Roccat Kone EMP Roccat Sense Metor Sennheiser HD 598 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Onkyo TX NR646  Dali Opticon Vokal x2 Dali Opticon 2 x2 Dali Opticon 1 
AudioOtherOther
Dali E12 F Subwoofer CableMod E series PSU cable set CableMod LED Strips 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
No worries, I probably came across harsher then intended.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaegg View Post

Why do I work on arcade sticks when I could just buy one instead? Why do I build PC's when I could buy one?Why do anything if I could just get someone else to? I could just pay someone else to make sleeved extensions, so why do it myself?
Pride? Joy? Amusement? OCD? Artistic design?
Show me a set of sleeved cables from them doing a custom 3 colour design using colours that are highly unused to start with.
While I'm musing over the idea of just sleeving the cables it comes with instead of going further and making my own cables, I still find it an enjoyable experience.

Right on, you'll get along just fine here! tongue.gif
Quote:
Just the type of info I was looking for!

Though unless I'm misunderstanding that image (which I'm pretty sure I'm not), the full 24 pin cable is basically completely twisted, wouldn't this make doing a multi colour sleeving design damn near impossible to keep clean without doing an extension instead?

Well, no. You can still do the sleeving. It is twisted, but you can hide the twisted part behind the MB area. Thats how I did my build. It looks great at the 24 pin/8 pin MB connectors as well as the PSU, I contain the twisted parts behind the MB. IMG_4776.JPG
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cables and Sleeving
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › Cables and Sleeving › Help w/ making fresh cables for a Corsair 1200AX