Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › LightBoost, G-SYNC, Turbo240: 120Hz Strobe Backlight LCDs / No Motion Blur!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LightBoost, G-SYNC, Turbo240: 120Hz Strobe Backlight LCDs / No Motion Blur! - Page 142

post #1411 of 2929
Just do 120hz lightboost and 121hz non lightboost so you can switch on the fly. You don't need to add all 4
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k 4.7 1.368v RIVE BIOS 2105 680L 1330/7011 16GB Samsung 2133Mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 240GB  H110 after 4x H220 RMA Win 8.1 64bit XL2420T Lightboost  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SS 6Gv2  EVGA 1300G2  Arc Midi R2 Zowie AM, many opticals 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
SS QCK+ Xonar Essence STX AK100 MKII Shure SE846  
AudioAudioOther
Ultrasone Pro 900 Sennheiser HD700 Intel EXPI9301CT NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k 4.7 1.368v RIVE BIOS 2105 680L 1330/7011 16GB Samsung 2133Mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 240GB  H110 after 4x H220 RMA Win 8.1 64bit XL2420T Lightboost  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SS 6Gv2  EVGA 1300G2  Arc Midi R2 Zowie AM, many opticals 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
SS QCK+ Xonar Essence STX AK100 MKII Shure SE846  
AudioAudioOther
Ultrasone Pro 900 Sennheiser HD700 Intel EXPI9301CT NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1412 of 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrejhon View Post

This could be theoretically done at the driver level.

Basically the nVidia drivers could be tricked into thinking the display is only 60Hz while the display is actually 120Hz. And the drivers inserts black frames in between the "60Hz refreshes". Then all games would work, no matter which game, as the game would think it's outputting to a 60Hz monitor.

The drivers would be doing the BFI for motion blur reduciton, in a manner similiar to www.testufo.com/#test=blackframes by using this same type of technique for 60fps @ 120Hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post

Just do 120hz lightboost and 121hz non lightboost so you can switch on the fly. You don't need to add all 4

Oh ok. If I set 121Hz then I press Ctrl+Alt+Minus, then it will just turn off Lightboost but will retain the refresh rate of the screen at 120Hz? 121Hz is just to let the display know that it is being set to a non-supported refresh rate, is this correct?

Also, let's say I can only get up to 80fps in a specific game would it be better to use 100Hz strobe instead of 120Hz since 80fps is closer to 100Hz?

Is using BFI (software strobing) to achieve 60Hz Lightboost effect bad for the display? Is this the reason why it is not recommended?
post #1413 of 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post


Oh ok. If I set 121Hz then I press Ctrl+Alt+Minus, then it will just turn off Lightboost but will retain the refresh rate of the screen at 120Hz? 121Hz is just to let the display know that it is being set to a non-supported refresh rate, is this correct?

Also, let's say I can only get up to 80fps in a specific game would it be better to use 100Hz strobe instead of 120Hz since 80fps is closer to 100Hz?

Is using BFI (software strobing) to achieve 60Hz Lightboost effect bad for the display? Is this the reason why it is not recommended?

Yeah that hotkey will toggle lightboost as you said. All I know is you can't input 120hz twice so I used 121 lol. I'm not aware of any benefit to lowering your monitor refresh rate to match FPS. Lowering the refresh rate actually lowers the monitor's performance I think. I read it on prad.de review or something, the ghosting was worse at 100hz rather then 120hz for this panel.
Edited by Scorpion667 - 8/7/13 at 3:25pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k 4.7 1.368v RIVE BIOS 2105 680L 1330/7011 16GB Samsung 2133Mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 240GB  H110 after 4x H220 RMA Win 8.1 64bit XL2420T Lightboost  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SS 6Gv2  EVGA 1300G2  Arc Midi R2 Zowie AM, many opticals 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
SS QCK+ Xonar Essence STX AK100 MKII Shure SE846  
AudioAudioOther
Ultrasone Pro 900 Sennheiser HD700 Intel EXPI9301CT NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k 4.7 1.368v RIVE BIOS 2105 680L 1330/7011 16GB Samsung 2133Mhz  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 240GB  H110 after 4x H220 RMA Win 8.1 64bit XL2420T Lightboost  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
SS 6Gv2  EVGA 1300G2  Arc Midi R2 Zowie AM, many opticals 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
SS QCK+ Xonar Essence STX AK100 MKII Shure SE846  
AudioAudioOther
Ultrasone Pro 900 Sennheiser HD700 Intel EXPI9301CT NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1414 of 2929
I may grab a 2720 and remove the matte. I can find one pretty cheap
post #1415 of 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion667 View Post

Yeah that hotkey will toggle lightboost as you said. All I know is you can't input 120hz twice so I used 121 lol. I'm not aware of any benefit to lowering your monitor refresh rate to match FPS. Lowering the refresh rate actually lowers the monitor's performance I think. I read it on prad.de review or something, the ghosting was worse at 100hz rather then 120hz for this panel.

I hope someone with experience with this can explain further what does adding multiple resolution in this utility really do?

Yes, I guess so, but it all depends on what your video card can do. I have an overclocked GTX 670 and I'm not yet sure what is its max potential.
post #1416 of 2929
Would it be a problem to run a Lightboost display as center screen with non-lightboost monitors on the sides?
VR machine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k  ASUS Z97I-Plus mITX ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Turbo 8G EVGA 1600 C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Samsung T3 250GB SSD Corsair H60 Windows 8.1 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Sony HW45ES Projector w 120" Acoustically Trans... VR- HTC VIVE  Acer GD235HZ 120Hz Razer Turret 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
EVGA Supernova 550 G2 Corsair 250D Yamaha RX-V781 Emotiva Airmotiv Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
VR machine
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k  ASUS Z97I-Plus mITX ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Turbo 8G EVGA 1600 C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Samsung T3 250GB SSD Corsair H60 Windows 8.1 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Sony HW45ES Projector w 120" Acoustically Trans... VR- HTC VIVE  Acer GD235HZ 120Hz Razer Turret 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
EVGA Supernova 550 G2 Corsair 250D Yamaha RX-V781 Emotiva Airmotiv Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1417 of 2929
Thanks Mdrejhon for that info on the H and the HE.. After reading that I'm going to use a H for my center and two HE's for the sides.. That'll also give me 3d to play with when I feel but the beauty of 2d light-boost 24/7 with the best viewing monitor in the middle... Cheers for that..
post #1418 of 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygonn View Post

Would it be a problem to run a Lightboost display as center screen with non-lightboost monitors on the sides?

I actually tried this myself with using an Asus VG278HE light boosted for the center and two Acer GD245HQ as the sides. In non light boost mode nvidia will let you do triple monitor spanning, but when the light boost monitor is activated and the other are left non light boosted, the Nvidia drivers come with an error message and state that all monitor must be of the same, resolution, Frequency and timings.. The first two items match but when going from light boost and non light boost the monitors timings change and becomes a mismatch.. So it cant be done.. The driver wont even let you try to see what its like. Its an Nvidia thing.. .
post #1419 of 2929
Hey,

im using the BenQ XL2411T @120hz 10% with the ToastyX Strobelight Beta and the Geforce 320.49 Driver since 2 weeks now.

Everything works great but like once a day or maybe even less, my monitor is going black and my pc does the "plug out -> plug in" sound, it's the same when you plug in/out an usb stick.
After the plug in sound my Monitor works again but since i never had this problem before, i think it has something to do with lightboost.

So has anyone experienced something like this before and knows how to fix this?
I'm using 10% Lightboost 24/7 (because i don't want to recalibrate my picture everytime i turn it off) and now i have fear that my monitor or something else is being damaged.

thanks if someone can help me
post #1420 of 2929
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden1973 View Post

I actually tried this myself with using an Asus VG278HE light boosted for the center and two Acer GD245HQ as the sides. In non light boost mode nvidia will let you do triple monitor spanning, but when the light boost monitor is activated and the other are left non light boosted, the Nvidia drivers come with an error message and state that all monitor must be of the same, resolution, Frequency and timings.. The first two items match but when going from light boost and non light boost the monitors timings change and becomes a mismatch.. So it cant be done.. The driver wont even let you try to see what its like. Its an Nvidia thing.. .
It actually would work if you use the exact same timings as LightBoost on the GD245HQ's, provided the GD245HQ sync'd to the same timings as well. There are many non-LightBoost 120Hz monitors that successfully sync to the same timings normally assigned to a monitor in LightBoost mode, but it requires the use of ToastyX CRU (much harder) instead of ToastyX Strobelight (much easier).

That said, I do not recommend mixing and matching LightBoost / non-LightBoost monitors in spanning mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post

Oh ok. I'm assuming that the CRU utility is also ToastyX Strobelight Beta utility?
They're actually two separate utilities. ToastyX Strobelight is specially designed for LightBoost use, while ToastyX Custom Resolution Utility is a more advanced user utility that can also additionally be used for LightBoost if you need far more control over modes. ToastyX Strobelight is much easier to use but may not accomodate all special use cases.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeek View Post

im using the BenQ XL2411T @120hz 10% with the ToastyX Strobelight Beta and the Geforce 320.49 Driver since 2 weeks now.
Everything works great but like once a day or maybe even less, my monitor is going black and my pc does the "plug out -> plug in" sound, it's the same when you plug in/out an usb stick.
Does it happen at any specific pattern, such as under high GPU load? Other computer upgrades that you did at the same time, would be relevant information.
Edited by mdrejhon - 8/8/13 at 8:44pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › LightBoost, G-SYNC, Turbo240: 120Hz Strobe Backlight LCDs / No Motion Blur!