Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › DPI vs. in-game sensitivity question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DPI vs. in-game sensitivity question

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
From my googling, this topic seems like a never ending debate. Lower DPI or sensitivity ?

1. Leave sensitivity settings/value at default and adjust mouse's DPI settings/value accordingly. (provided that your mouse has adjustable DPI feature)
What is typically said : "Default game setting and adjust the DPI with the mouse driver. Do not try to mess with 2 different variables that does the same thing, you'll end up with some strange multiplier that doesnt work. stick with the mouse driver for DPI control and leave the game sensitivity at default. Most pro gamers use between 1000 to 1200 DPI depending on the game they are playing."

or

2. Use your mouse's highest DPI setting and adjust (most likely lower) your in-game sensitivity
What is typically said : "High DPI + low sensitivity is better. Your movements will be more precise as your direct input isn't limited"

I think we all know they work fine either way. However, what is optimal way ???

It's my understanding that CPI/DPI is the mouse's accuracy in sensing movements, while sensitivity is the amplification or deamplification of the mouse's registered movements.

Generally speaking, I think it's preferable to have the mouse reading as accurate as possible so the raw data you're working with is high quality, then scale back the sensitivity in software.

If my above assumption was correct, high DPI + low in-game sensitivity looks better in theory.

On the other hand, if in-game sensitivity is touched from neutral, I think it means raw data from mouse is altered(amplified/deamplified) by software. This sounds like it defeats the purpose of raw input feature. Then, perhaps, it is best to leave in-game sensitivity alone at default and adjust mouse DPI/CPI values accordingly.

I hope someone can clarify this once and for all.
Edited by PowerK - 12/19/12 at 4:27pm
X99 System
(14 items)
 
Z170 System
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6950X ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 2x Titan X Pascal SLI 32GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
4x Intel 730 Series SSD 480GB RAID-0 EK custom loop Windows 10 Pro x64 DELL S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire Corsair AX1500i Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech G303 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Vengeance MM600 ASUS SupremeFX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700K ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S 2x ASUS Strix GTX1080 SLI 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Intel 730 Series SSD 480GB RAID-0 Seagate 2TB Corsair Hydro Series H115i Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
DELL U2414H Corsair AX1200i Fractal Design Define S Logitech G303 
Audio
Realtek ALC1150 
  hide details  
Reply
X99 System
(14 items)
 
Z170 System
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6950X ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 2x Titan X Pascal SLI 32GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
4x Intel 730 Series SSD 480GB RAID-0 EK custom loop Windows 10 Pro x64 DELL S2716DG 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K65 RGB Rapidfire Corsair AX1500i Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech G303 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair Vengeance MM600 ASUS SupremeFX 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700K ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S 2x ASUS Strix GTX1080 SLI 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Intel 730 Series SSD 480GB RAID-0 Seagate 2TB Corsair Hydro Series H115i Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
DELL U2414H Corsair AX1200i Fractal Design Define S Logitech G303 
Audio
Realtek ALC1150 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
Hmm.. from what I've read most people leave the Windows mouse sensitivity at stock (the 6th tick). Then they max the DPI and adjust the sensitivity ingame. You're also supposed to turn the "Enhance Pointer Precision" feature off and apply a fix from MarkC for true 1:1 movement precision tongue.gif

.. although this is personal preference for the most part I guess
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipp View Post

Hmm.. from what I've read most people leave the Windows mouse sensitivity at stock (the 6th tick). Then they max the DPI and adjust the sensitivity ingame. You're also supposed to turn the "Enhance Pointer Precision" feature off and apply a fix from MarkC for true 1:1 movement precision tongue.gif
.. although this is personal preference for the most part I guess

Windows defaults to the 7th tick for mouse sensitivity. It has to be moved to the 6th tick to get rid of acceleration that Windows causes. Other than that, I agree with this statement.
BlueRaven
(13 items)
 
Dead BIOS
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Samsung  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Momentus 7200.4 Scorpio Blue 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
BlueRaven
(13 items)
 
Dead BIOS
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Samsung  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Momentus 7200.4 Scorpio Blue 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

Windows defaults to the 7th tick for mouse sensitivity. It has to be moved to the 6th tick to get rid of acceleration that Windows causes. Other than that, I agree with this statement.

The default pointer speed for 7 & 8 is definitely the 6th tick.. maybe you're thinking about XP or Vista? tongue.gif
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipp View Post

Hmm.. from what I've read most people leave the Windows mouse sensitivity at stock (the 6th tick). Then they max the DPI and adjust the sensitivity ingame. You're also supposed to turn the "Enhance Pointer Precision" feature off and apply a fix from MarkC for true 1:1 movement precision tongue.gif
.. although this is personal preference for the most part I guess

You don't need a mousefix for 1:1 movement.  EPP "off" will suffice unless you're playing an older game that calls for a function that enables the curve. (regardless of it being off in the mouse tab)

 

If you do apply the mousefix, EPP on or off will not matter. 

 

DPI is only a measurement of sensitivity  Refer below as I don't feel like repeating.

 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1240739/bsts-gaming-mouse/580 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post


Windows defaults to the 7th tick for mouse sensitivity. It has to be moved to the 6th tick to get rid of acceleration that Windows causes. Other than that, I agree with this statement.
 
 
I'm sorry you had to be "that guy", but sensitivity defaults at 6/11.  XP, vista, 7, 8.. etc

Edited by Skylit - 12/19/12 at 8:21pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerK View Post

However, what is optimal way ???
That depends on game and a way you'd like to play it. For example in games where your mouse control cursor movement, like RTS games, it's best to have 1:1 DPI to pixel movement ratio (800 DPI mouse should move 800 pixels for 1 inch). This is optimal but you may like interpolated settings better, because the cursor "speed" would suit you. In 3D shooters however you can set whatever sensitivity you'd like and it always will be accurate from the game's point of view. From your point of view, the lower sensitivity the better (more precise), but like everything it works only to some point and then it doesn't matter any more (yes, precision is better but you won't make use of it). I totally disagree that it's best to leave default settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerK View Post

Generally speaking, I think it's preferable to have the mouse reading as accurate as possible so the raw data you're working with is high quality, then scale back the sensitivity in software.
If my above assumption was correct, high DPI + low in-game sensitivity looks better in theory.
You are right in the first sentence. It's good to have the best mouse performance but not always, sometimes difference is small or you don't care because something else is more important to you. Most mice work best with lower DPI settings so the second sentence is good only "in theory".
Edited by Glymbol - 12/20/12 at 12:08am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › DPI vs. in-game sensitivity question