Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › FX 8350 OC Help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FX 8350 OC Help

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hi guys, this is my first time posting here.
My issue is overclocking my 8350. My theory is my M5A97 is to much of a lower end Mobo to support a higher stable over clock of 4.5ghz. I want to hit 4.8. My hardware specs are below, and my OC settings are as follows:


Bus Speed: 200
Core Multiplier: x 22.5
Core Voltage: 1.452
Rated FSB: 2200mhz
I have turbo disabled and all other cpu settings disabled, except for HPC mode.


All my other voltage settings are on auto for the most part. My issue so far is that everytime I try to go higher than a 4.5 (and sometimes even on 4.5) prime95 says theres a hardware failure, and half the workers stop working (meaning instability, or the cores don't unlock well).

So far I've tried upping the the bus speed to 205-210 and keeping the multiplier, upping the voltage to 1.50-1.53 (I don't wanna hit 1.55 on this). While the higher voltage increases stability for about 10-20 minutes, I still get failures from 3 cores and also HIGH TEMPS (68c+).

Am I stuck at 4.5ghz with my setup? My hardware specs are below. If anybody has any advice/recommendations please let me know.

BTW, I am probably upgrading this mobo soon, in a couple of months.

LED Modded NZXT Phantom White/Red | AMD FX 8350 @ 4.5 ghz| Corsair H60 | Asus M5A97 |Gigabyte AMD Radeon 7850 OC'd | Viper Extreme 16000 mhz @ 12gb |
Edited by mikeboiiii - 12/29/12 at 3:08pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeboiiii View Post

Hi guys, this is my first time posting here.
My issue is overclocking my 8350. My theory is my M5A97 is to much of a lower end Mobo to support a higher stable over clock of 4.5ghz. I want to hit 4.8. My hardware specs are below, and my OC settings are as follows:
Bus Speed: 200
Core Multiplier: x 22.5
Core Voltage: 1.452
Rated FSB: 2200mhz
I have turbo disabled and all other cpu settings disabled, except for HPC mode.
All my other voltage settings are on auto for the most part. My issue so far is that everytime I try to go higher than a 4.5 (and sometimes even on 4.5) prime95 says theres a hardware failure, and half the workers stop working (meaning instability, or the cores don't unlock well).
So far I've tried upping the the bus speed to 205-210 and keeping the multiplier, upping the voltage to 1.50-1.53 (I don't wanna hit 1.55 on this). While the higher voltage increases stability for about 10-20 minutes, I still get failures from 3 cores and also HIGH TEMPS (68c+).
Am I stuck at 4.5ghz with my setup? My hardware specs are below. If anybody has any advice/recommendations please let me know.
BTW, I am probably upgrading this mobo soon, in a couple of months.
LED Modded NZXT Phantom White/Red | AMD FX 8350 @ 4.5 ghz| Corsair H60 | Asus M5A97 |Gigabyte AMD Radeon 7850 OC'd | Viper Extreme 16000 mhz @ 12gb |

Having a low end motherboard could well be the cause for your lack of overclocking capabilities. 2 questions. 1-Does your motherboard have any setting about overvolting?(my board has a setting to help protect the cpu from over voltage. you want it off)
and 2- is prime steady for 10 minutes without failure at 4.5? and if so what are your temps and voltages while under load?
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Sorry for the late reply, it looks like my motherboard doesn't have any overvolting settings. It barely has llc, only auto, disabled or enabled. And on any overclock higher than 4.4 ghz it seems to fail about after 10 minutes or so. It seems like cores 5-8 are the problems, iv tried disabling those cores and keeping it to 6 cores and still am having prime95 failure problems with different cores
post #4 of 9
Do you have Asus's AI tuner utility? Is it supported by your MOBO? If so you may be able to use that to up your voltage.
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
The Sleeper
(10 items)
 
 
Sony Xperia Z3
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8320  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 MSI Radeon 7950 MSI Radeon 7950 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600mhz Samsung 470 SSD Corsair H80i Windows 7 64 Bit Home Premium 
PowerCase
Corsair HX850 Coolermaster HAF 932 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel SU7300 Core2Duo 1.6 Ghz Alienware OEM Nvidia 335m 8 GB PNY memory 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
Samsing 840 SSD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Generic PNP monitor @ 75hz 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon 801 @ 2.5 Ghz Adreno 330 3 GB 32 GB  
CoolingOSMonitor
Blow on it Android 4.4.4 1920x1080 LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkError404 View Post

Having a low end motherboard could well be the cause for your lack of overclocking capabilities. 2 questions. 1-Does your motherboard have any setting about overvolting?(my board has a setting to help protect the cpu from over voltage. you want it off)
and 2- is prime steady for 10 minutes without failure at 4.5? and if so what are your temps and voltages while under load?

His mobo is NOT low end. My ASRock Extreme3 is a bit worse than his board, and I can get to 5.125Ghz before my mobo just wont keep up with the power consumptions.

As for OCing, I got to 4.8Ghz pretty stable at 1.54 Volts. The temperatures are alright, but my CPU keeps downclocking during Intel Burn Test.

I ended up clocking it to 17.5*240 for 24/7 use to keep the electric bills low.
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeboiiii View Post

Sorry for the late reply, it looks like my motherboard doesn't have any overvolting settings. It barely has llc, only auto, disabled or enabled. And on any overclock higher than 4.4 ghz it seems to fail about after 10 minutes or so. It seems like cores 5-8 are the problems, iv tried disabling those cores and keeping it to 6 cores and still am having prime95 failure problems with different cores

You might need to set the overclocking, the mutiplier, or anything related to CPU tweaking to manual.

Make sure you have the latest BIOS.
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
I have the ASUS M5A97 mobo with a FX 8120 and the max overclock i can get to is 3.8ghz. This is due to the 4+2 power phase and lack of overvolting. To squeeze out a little bit more mhz, i suggest you turn of HPC mode as that creates instability in higher overclocks. Hope I helped. thumb.gif
post #8 of 9
Wait you can't adjust the voltage on a ASUS M5A97 at all? Thank god I bought the cheap ASRock bundle I guess.
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Bac G5
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6950X EVGA GTX 1080 Ti GSkill 32GB 4133Mhz Samsung 960 Pro 1TB 
CoolingMonitor
Corsair H110i ASUS PG278Q 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Yes ofcourse you can adjust voltage, but theres no "overvaulting protection settings." I've given up on Highly overclocking my system for now until I upgrade my mobo (to a new crosshair extreme) , ram, and graphics.



I've decided to just go for a 24/7 setup 4.4ghz with my EPU on and my DRAM oc'd to 1740mhz. So far so good, saving me a little bit of wattage. Average usage 60-85 watts. Still performs in gaming and pretty good multitasker so no problems with this Overclock, I'll aim for higher frequency later on like i said.

Bus Speed: 200
Core Multiplier: x 22
Core Voltage: 1.368

Cool N' Quiet Enabled
C6 Enabled
SVM Enabled
HPC Enabled
AAM Enabled

Giving me cool temps with a H60
Lowest 29
Avg: 35-38
Highest:48
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › FX 8350 OC Help