Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Looking to upgrade my home fileserver.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to upgrade my home fileserver. - Page 7

post #61 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabytes View Post

haha, nah. Look at my signature and avatar tongue.gif
I just upgraded my file server from a e6400 to a Q6600. Big difference.

Should have kept my Q6700 when I upgrade my gaming PC to an i3570K frown.gif.
post #62 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

Should have kept my Q6700 when I upgrade my gaming PC to an i3570K frown.gif.

I was thinking the same a few years ago about my old S939 processor frown.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Overdrive 486DX4 100Mhz Digital Venturis 466 S3 Trio 32 1MB 68MB 72 Pin SIMMs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.2Gb & 270Mb 32X CD-ROM Windows 98 SE LG 23" Flatron 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft PS/2 Lite-On Digital Venturis 466 Logitech PS/2 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Overdrive 486DX4 100Mhz Digital Venturis 466 S3 Trio 32 1MB 68MB 72 Pin SIMMs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.2Gb & 270Mb 32X CD-ROM Windows 98 SE LG 23" Flatron 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft PS/2 Lite-On Digital Venturis 466 Logitech PS/2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabytes View Post

I was thinking the same a few years ago about my old S939 processor frown.gif

I guess I'll be on the hunt for a good deal biggrin.gif.
post #64 of 72
Thread Starter 
Is there a way to initialize my ARRAY from within Windows? I got my server to boot and device manager recognizes the Perc 6/i card. Can I initialize the disks and setup a new RAID10 array from within Windows Server 2008?

EDIT: I just installed MegaRAID Storage Manager. Looks like I may be able to initialize the disks in here. Advisable or no? Anything I should know?
Edited by PuffinMyLye - 1/8/13 at 7:28pm
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

Is there a way to initialize my ARRAY from within Windows? I got my server to boot and device manager recognizes the Perc 6/i card. Can I initialize the disks and setup a new RAID10 array from within Windows Server 2008?
EDIT: I just installed MegaRAID Storage Manager. Looks like I may be able to initialize the disks in here. Advisable or no? Anything I should know?

No issue doing anything through Windows.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Overdrive 486DX4 100Mhz Digital Venturis 466 S3 Trio 32 1MB 68MB 72 Pin SIMMs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.2Gb & 270Mb 32X CD-ROM Windows 98 SE LG 23" Flatron 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft PS/2 Lite-On Digital Venturis 466 Logitech PS/2 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Overdrive 486DX4 100Mhz Digital Venturis 466 S3 Trio 32 1MB 68MB 72 Pin SIMMs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.2Gb & 270Mb 32X CD-ROM Windows 98 SE LG 23" Flatron 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft PS/2 Lite-On Digital Venturis 466 Logitech PS/2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 72
PERC cards use LSI chips, so the LSI MegaRAID Storage Manager should work just fine. That's what I use with my LSI card, and I love it.
post #67 of 72
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabytes View Post

No issue doing anything through Windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonbob View Post

PERC cards use LSI chips, so the LSI MegaRAID Storage Manager should work just fine. That's what I use with my LSI card, and I love it.

Thanks guys, it did initialize just fine. Still waiting on my PCI video card from killa though because as soon as I plug my old RAID array in my computer won't boot. I've had this issue in the past where if I unplug it and plug it back in the BIOS automatically sets my RAID array as the #1 priority drive to boot off of instead of my OS drive. Obviously I can't change that until I have video biggrin.gif.
post #68 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffinMyLye View Post

Thanks guys, it did initialize just fine. Still waiting on my PCI video card from killa though because as soon as I plug my old RAID array in my computer won't boot. I've had this issue in the past where if I unplug it and plug it back in the BIOS automatically sets my RAID array as the #1 priority drive to boot off of instead of my OS drive. Obviously I can't change that until I have video biggrin.gif.

Yeah, that won't work lol. As soon as you have that Video card, you should be all set!
post #69 of 72
Thread Starter 
Alright I've got my server up and running. I wound up borrowing a friend's PCI card until Killa's arrives biggrin.gif Anyone have suggestions for good streaming software? I've heard about Subsonic for music, I'm going to check that out because I like the ability to stream to mobile. I've just used PS3 Media Server in the past for LAN media streaming but I'm looking for other options not only for LAN streaming but for WAN as well.
post #70 of 72
Serviio and Plex. I use both (which overlap) to serve media to just about anything. If your frontend device is an HTPC, Plex Media Server on your server and Plex Media Center on your HTPC would be perfect. Serviio is a DLNA software which is great to stream to other devices such as WD TV devices, Roku, Smart TVs, etc, etc.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › Looking to upgrade my home fileserver.