Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Other Cooling Discussions › The BitFenix Recon - any good?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The BitFenix Recon - any good?

post #1 of 4
Thread Starter 
Hi!



I'm shifting my hardware into a BitFenix Shinobi XL White w/ window soon, and I wish to change my current Scythe fan controllers to a single BitFenix Recon fan controller, and I therefore need to know, if it can handle 3x Noctua fans on a single channel?

My setup would be (as of now):

3x 120 mm. front fans connected to channel 01
1x 120 mm. side fan connected to channel 02
1x 120 mm. rear fan connected to channel 03
2x 120 mm. + 1x 140 mm. CPU-cooler fans connected to channel 04
2x 230 mm. top fans connected to channel 05

Would it work?


Any help is appreciated smile.gif
Main
(29 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 ASRock 990FX Extreme4 Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X Crucial BallistiX Sport 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital "Elements" 3.5" 7200rpm [External] 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital 2.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Samsung 840 Series SSD 
Optical DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Pioneer DVR-115 DVD+/-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 2x BenQ 24" G2420HDB LG 50PK250N 50" Plasma TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 1070W Projector Logitech K200 XFX ProSeries Black Edition 850W Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Kone+ SteelSeries 4D Cerwin Vega XLS-6 speakers Fronts Cerwin Vega CLSC-6C Center 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Jamo cornet 40 II Rears Pioneer VSX-421 Surround Receiver Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage Wireless LG HX906SB 3D Home Cinema system 
Other
Scythe Kaze Master II 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(29 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 ASRock 990FX Extreme4 Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X Crucial BallistiX Sport 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital "Elements" 3.5" 7200rpm [External] 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital 2.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Samsung 840 Series SSD 
Optical DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Pioneer DVR-115 DVD+/-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 2x BenQ 24" G2420HDB LG 50PK250N 50" Plasma TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 1070W Projector Logitech K200 XFX ProSeries Black Edition 850W Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Kone+ SteelSeries 4D Cerwin Vega XLS-6 speakers Fronts Cerwin Vega CLSC-6C Center 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Jamo cornet 40 II Rears Pioneer VSX-421 Surround Receiver Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage Wireless LG HX906SB 3D Home Cinema system 
Other
Scythe Kaze Master II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitePrQjser View Post

Hi!
I'm shifting my hardware into a BitFenix Shinobi XL White w/ window soon, and I wish to change my current Scythe fan controllers to a single BitFenix Recon fan controller, and I therefore need to know, if it can handle 3x Noctua fans on a single channel?
My setup would be (as of now):
3x 120 mm. front fans connected to channel 01
1x 120 mm. side fan connected to channel 02
1x 120 mm. rear fan connected to channel 03
2x 120 mm. + 1x 140 mm. CPU-cooler fans connected to channel 04
2x 230 mm. top fans connected to channel 05
Would it work?
Any help is appreciated smile.gif

Yeah it'll handle 3 fans on one channel as long as it's kept under 10W for all of the fans on that single channel. I had a quick look and 1.2W is the max output for the NF-S12B FLX (it was the highest wattage one)

Only things that bug me about the Recon are that if you disconnect the temp probes then you lose the ability to control the fan speed, when you first turn on your PC all the fans are at max and then settle down to the set speed and that the cables aren't sleeve (would have thought that they'd have use their Alchemy sleeving)
Black Z170
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 6600K MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X 8GB 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black P... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB Samsung 750 EVO 500GB Samsung 750 EVO Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 6x 20mm EK Vardar F4-120ER Cooling Fans in Black 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Thermaltake Commander FP Windows 10 Pro 64-bit QPAD MK-90 RGB Pro 850W EVGA Supernova P2 with EVGA Black Braided ... 
CaseMouseOther
Fractal Design Define C QPAD 8K Pro 3x 30cm Silverstone Ultra Slim SATA cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Z170
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 6600K MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON MSI GeForce GTX 1080 SEA HAWK X 8GB 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black P... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB Samsung 750 EVO 500GB Samsung 750 EVO Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2 6x 20mm EK Vardar F4-120ER Cooling Fans in Black 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
Thermaltake Commander FP Windows 10 Pro 64-bit QPAD MK-90 RGB Pro 850W EVGA Supernova P2 with EVGA Black Braided ... 
CaseMouseOther
Fractal Design Define C QPAD 8K Pro 3x 30cm Silverstone Ultra Slim SATA cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay88 View Post

and that the cables aren't sleeve (would have thought that they'd have use their Alchemy sleeving)
a 24 pin costs $11.. There's more than 24 cables on the Recon and they're much longer. Doubling the cost of the unit to sleeve it? That would be a high cost, low return for the user.
post #4 of 4
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulgarDisplay88 View Post

Yeah it'll handle 3 fans on one channel as long as it's kept under 10W for all of the fans on that single channel. I had a quick look and 1.2W is the max output for the NF-S12B FLX (it was the highest wattage one)
Only things that bug me about the Recon are that if you disconnect the temp probes then you lose the ability to control the fan speed, when you first turn on your PC all the fans are at max and then settle down to the set speed and that the cables aren't sleeve (would have thought that they'd have use their Alchemy sleeving)

Well, it doesn't matter to me if the fans are at max when I turn the machine on. As long as they are controlable when I use it. I don't really care about sleeving, so that doesn't matter. It's a bit annoying that you can't control the fans without having the temp probes plugged in as well, but I'll manage smile.gif

Thanks for the wattage clarification smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbournex View Post

a 24 pin costs $11.. There's more than 24 cables on the Recon and they're much longer. Doubling the cost of the unit to sleeve it? That would be a high cost, low return for the user.

That's a good reason for not sleeving. That and I don't care much for sleeving anyway, so it doesn't matter much smile.gif
Main
(29 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 ASRock 990FX Extreme4 Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X Crucial BallistiX Sport 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital "Elements" 3.5" 7200rpm [External] 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital 2.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Samsung 840 Series SSD 
Optical DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Pioneer DVR-115 DVD+/-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 2x BenQ 24" G2420HDB LG 50PK250N 50" Plasma TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 1070W Projector Logitech K200 XFX ProSeries Black Edition 850W Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Kone+ SteelSeries 4D Cerwin Vega XLS-6 speakers Fronts Cerwin Vega CLSC-6C Center 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Jamo cornet 40 II Rears Pioneer VSX-421 Surround Receiver Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage Wireless LG HX906SB 3D Home Cinema system 
Other
Scythe Kaze Master II 
  hide details  
Reply
Main
(29 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 ASRock 990FX Extreme4 Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri-X Crucial BallistiX Sport 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Hitachi Deskstar 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital "Elements" 3.5" 7200rpm [External] 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital 2.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Western Digital 3.5" 7200rpm [Internal] Samsung 840 Series SSD 
Optical DriveOSMonitorMonitor
Pioneer DVR-115 DVD+/-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1 2x BenQ 24" G2420HDB LG 50PK250N 50" Plasma TV 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 1070W Projector Logitech K200 XFX ProSeries Black Edition 850W Phanteks Enthoo Pro 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Roccat Kone+ SteelSeries 4D Cerwin Vega XLS-6 speakers Fronts Cerwin Vega CLSC-6C Center 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Jamo cornet 40 II Rears Pioneer VSX-421 Surround Receiver Creative Sound Blaster Tactic3D Rage Wireless LG HX906SB 3D Home Cinema system 
Other
Scythe Kaze Master II 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Cooling Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Other Cooling Discussions › The BitFenix Recon - any good?