Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Failed Alienware now with BeastModeON - mATX watercooled build.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Failed Alienware now with BeastModeON - mATX watercooled build. - Page 3

post #21 of 63
Thread Starter 




Here is the 690 with the heatkiller heatsink on.

And here is what my system looks like frown.gif It has to stay a mess until I get all parts and can get it all setup and working


post #22 of 63
...you should not have any problems with the memory. I'm just fine-tuning a build of several I7 3770s (report in this forum), and am running 32 GB of G.Sill Trident X 2400 MHz on a Sabertooth Z77 with a 3770K at between 4.8 GHz and 5 GHz. No problems whatsoever with the memory. In an earlier version, I tried this memory on both the Sabertooth and even an Asus P8Z77-V LK with overclocked BCLK and it ran fine at DDR3 2520 thumb.gif (mind you, I leave the DDR voltage and timing completely stock).

...a quick note on your two GTX 690ies: I am using two Asus Direct CU ii 670ies in SLI oc'ed, and after reading about a lot of folks recommending the EVGA Precision X software instead of the Asus GPU Tweak, I just starting to use that since yesterday - too early for a full report, but so far a real improvement, mostly due to much better fan control (GPU Tweak let the cards get hotter, even with custom 'user-define' profiles). Just remember that you first have to completely uninstall Asus GPU Tweak software before using Precision X
post #23 of 63
Thread Starter 
Sounds like a positive review on the trident x smile.gif will definitely be seeking a lot of help on the OC though.

I don't think the Asus fan settings will be an issue. I'll be running a liquid cooling system because of the board not allowing the cards to go in PCI 1 and 3 leaving no space between the cards.
post #24 of 63
Quote:
Sounds like a positive review on the trident x smile.gif will definitely be seeking a lot of help on the OC though. I don't think the Asus fan settings will be an issue. I'll be running a liquid cooling system because of the board not allowing the cards to go in PCI 1 and 3 leaving no space between the cards.

...re water-cooled SLI Asus GTX 690ies, you're right - I responded to an earlier post on P1 which did not have those pics. That said, there are folks who use 'Precision X' in lieu of 'GPU Tweak' even with water-cooled SLI 670/680/690ies. Their point being that it just is a better GPU control software all-around. I am just starting to run comparisons and cannot comment on that yet. Eventually, I hope to get water-blocks for my SLI setup also, so I am going to watch your build smile.gif

...re OCing, I did a quick scan of this thread but cannot find what CPU you are using..?. Also, are you thinking of OCing the memory (sounds like it) ? Per BIOS 'DDR / XMP' setting or per BCLK ? Referring to the I7 3770 / K builds I just did, I find that once past 4.6 GHz, it gets trickier with non-stock BCLK above 105.x (not impossible, but trickier, like too many variables per equation to soundly keep track of, with less fine control). 4.85 GHz was the fastest with non-stock BCLK I got, and I only went for multiplier OC for daily 4.8 GHZ to 5 GHz.

In any case, there are lot's of good OC guides on this site (sorted by CPU), though for my own technical / productivity reasons, I prefer a mix of a little Bios tuning and a lot of Asus AI Win software OCing (most folks here just go for the Bios-only method, but I need Intel speed-step, low idle CPU vCore, sleep-states fully functional etc). It took a few frustrating days / week of fine tuning mad.gif ( freezes and the odd BSOD) before I got 4.8GHz as my daily base, with CPU vCore now at idle 1.16v, load (ie Prime95) at 1.336v and 'spikes' at no more than 1.368v, all in my comfort zone. 5 Ghz values are still just a tad too high for daily stuff, but I'll keep on chipping away (pardon the pun)

I am sure you going to reach some decent speeds with the cooling setup you have; besides, if this is more used as a 'gamer', than water-cooled SLI Asus GTX 690 setup is far more important than 4.5 GHz vs 4.8 GHz+ CPU speeds
post #25 of 63
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joa3d43 View Post

...re water-cooled SLI Asus GTX 690ies, you're right - I responded to an earlier post on P1 which did not have those pics. That said, there are folks who use 'Precision X' in lieu of 'GPU Tweak' even with water-cooled SLI 670/680/690ies. Their point being that it just is a better GPU control software all-around. I am just starting to run comparisons and cannot comment on that yet. Eventually, I hope to get water-blocks for my SLI setup also, so I am going to watch your build smile.gif
...re OCing, I did a quick scan of this thread but cannot find what CPU you are using..?. Also, are you thinking of OCing the memory (sounds like it) ? Per BIOS 'DDR / XMP' setting or per BCLK ? Referring to the I7 3770 / K builds I just did, I find that once past 4.6 GHz, it gets trickier with non-stock BCLK above 105.x (not impossible, but trickier, like too many variables per equation to soundly keep track of, with less fine control). 4.85 GHz was the fastest with non-stock BCLK I got, and I only went for multiplier OC for daily 4.8 GHZ to 5 GHz.
In any case, there are lot's of good OC guides on this site (sorted by CPU), though for my own technical / productivity reasons, I prefer a mix of a little Bios tuning and a lot of Asus AI Win software OCing (most folks here just go for the Bios-only method, but I need Intel speed-step, low idle CPU vCore, sleep-states fully functional etc). It took a few frustrating days / week of fine tuning mad.gif ( freezes and the odd BSOD) before I got 4.8GHz as my daily base, with CPU vCore now at idle 1.16v, load (ie Prime95) at 1.336v and 'spikes' at no more than 1.368v, all in my comfort zone. 5 Ghz values are still just a tad too high for daily stuff, but I'll keep on chipping away (pardon the pun)
I am sure you going to reach some decent speeds with the cooling setup you have; besides, if this is more used as a 'gamer', than water-cooled SLI Asus GTX 690 setup is far more important than 4.5 GHz vs 4.8 GHz+ CPU speeds

I will have to try the other software myself. So far the Asus one has been adequate.

It should be in the first post, but I am using an intel core I7 3930k. it was clocked at 4.1 before I lost my motherboard due to cooling.

I'm not sure exactly how I will go about it, I know I can probably use the Bios for most of the clock but pushing the levels is always going to make it interesting. I don't know enough yet to make a choice. But soon I will know I guess.

I am excited to see what I can do with this system smile.gif
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MME1122 View Post

The memory is mirrored in SLI. Both GPUs need access to the same data at the same time to work together. Usable memory = total vram/# of GPUs.

Total memory is: the memory of the card which have the lowest memory,

if you have 4 cards, 3 of them have 4gb, and 1 of them have 1 gb, guess what? You have a total of 1gb memory.
post #27 of 63
Quote:
It should be in the first post, but I am using an intel core I7 3930k. it was clocked at 4.1 before I lost my motherboard due to cooling.

I'm not sure exactly how I will go about it, I know I can probably use the Bios for most of the clock but pushing the levels is always going to make it interesting. I don't know enough yet to make a choice. But soon I will know I guess.

...have you seen this re OCing a 3930k: http://www.overclock.net/t/1189242/sandy-bridge-e-overclocking-guide-walk-through-explanations-and-support-for-all-x79-overclockers ?
post #28 of 63
Thread Starter 
I will have a read of it. Should have all parts by monday biggrin.gif Woot!

Can't wait to finish this rebuild.
post #29 of 63
Thread Starter 
Okay, so my power supply is ready, case is cleaned and emptied out, my GTX 690's have their waterblocks on. All plumbing is ready. Just waiting for my xspc raystorm cpy cooler and my motherboard for the whole system to get connected biggrin.gif

I'll put some pictures of my dual GPU's on the old board.

Not sure when the Ram will be here though, it is still on order.
post #30 of 63
Where are you going to fit the rad/rads, pump, and reservoir?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Failed Alienware now with BeastModeON - mATX watercooled build.