Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › DIY RGB AmbiLight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY RGB AmbiLight - Page 13

post #121 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvjessen View Post

Nah, I'm just having fun playing around with my ambient LEDs and I prefer it that way. I've done open source stuff in the past, but my experience wasn't very good, mostly just a lot of work and unfortunately dealing with a lot of people who just wanted stuff without contributing anything.
I haven't had a look at that one, I'm kind of at a position where I'm happy with my solution, but I still want to add remote control features and I just got another 4 meters of the LED strips to experiment with some full room effects.

If you are happy to do another automation project you can look into using one of those leds and create yourself a lightbulb that can change colour and that can be controlled remotely (phone app or remote) like LifeFX on Kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/limemouse/lifx-the-light-bulb-reinvented

Imagine your downlights changing colour as you get a message on your phone, etc.

Apologies for playing devil's advocate here smile.gif
post #122 of 234
I have been anxious to get this going. My current setup with an old laptop works but i'd like to take things a step further. If i stick with the computer setup i want to use the open source of prismatik and create an Air app to control the display functions and colors. However i would really like to get this set up as an HDMI pass through like jvjessen. If i can accomplish this, i want to try and program some tweaks through arduino. I think it would be fun to have a display for either hockey and football games that i can put on a celebration light show on goals and touchdowns. Even taking it a step further to connect it to the web to have it automatically detect changes in score via live scoring feeds. I ordered an HDMI screw terminal, but i fear i may be over my head, but you never learn if you don't try. If jvjessen or anyone is willing to share some insight on how to get that going, i wou.d greatly appreciate it.

Here is my current setup with the overplayed kia commercial, you can see some lag and the colors are better than what the cell phone camera picks up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4yhNOOuivU
post #123 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim View Post

What are you running on the PC to output the data? I tried to get light pack to work, but regardless of what settings I change, it does not output the data to the Arduino. Im using the FastSPI library and the LED control works as it should. If I run the adalight processing code, it works, but has trouble with youtube and several other screen caps where its not stable enough for permanent use. In Lightpack, I've tried changing the device between adalight and ardulight, serial port is set to my USB COM3 with 115200 baud rate.

TIA

Check your DivX, i was exploring between ubuntu, XBMC, and windows xp to windows 7. The current setup i found to work is with windows 7 but my machine is also not very well suited for running windows 7 and just one of the many reasons i want to try and get an HDMI passthrough setup.
post #124 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by poldim View Post

What are you running on the PC to output the data? I tried to get light pack to work, but regardless of what settings I change, it does not output the data to the Arduino. Im using the FastSPI library and the LED control works as it should. If I run the adalight processing code, it works, but has trouble with youtube and several other screen caps where its not stable enough for permanent use. In Lightpack, I've tried changing the device between adalight and ardulight, serial port is set to my USB COM3 with 115200 baud rate.

TIA

Check your DivX, i was exploring between ubuntu, XBMC, and windows xp to windows 7. The current setup i found to work is with windows 7 but my machine is also not very well suited for running windows 7 and just one of the many reasons i want to try and get an HDMI passthrough setup.
post #125 of 234
I love all your projects, not sure how I didn't see this one sooner smile.gif
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #126 of 234
This may have been a dumb move, but i went ahead and ordered an HDMI screw terminal. Now i need to figure out how to pull and analyze the data sent to it. I really want to get this to work as a pass through.
post #127 of 234
Try this page - http://www.keiang.de/Content-pid-32.html
This guy did the same thing but he is documenting what he's done so others can benefit as well. He is still in testing phase with software.
Hardware page might help you understand along with his diagrams what you need to do.
Its still mainly private project so I am not sure if he will be able to answer hundreds of questions but his hardware requirements page.
post #128 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by K G B View Post

If you are happy to do another automation project you can look into using one of those leds and create yourself a lightbulb that can change colour and that can be controlled remotely (phone app or remote) like LifeFX on Kickstarter. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/limemouse/lifx-the-light-bulb-reinvented

Imagine your downlights changing colour as you get a message on your phone, etc.

Apologies for playing devil's advocate here smile.gif

Interesting project smile.gif But I think the whole change lights when receiving a message would get a bit annoying in the long run biggrin.gif

Should be fairly easy to implement though, just using Bluetooth, it would be too much overkill to add wifi in each bulb, although maybe cool biggrin.gif .. would probably better to make that into a thing that screws into the socket and then you screw the light bulb into it. Home automation and mood lighting is an interesting topic.

I hope they got some security on those things, otherwise I want to give some to my neighbors just so I can drive them nuts by remotely controlling their lights at random times biggrin.gif
post #129 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post

I love all your projects, not sure how I didn't see this one sooner smile.gif

Thanks man smile.gif

Yeah, I got way too many projects going, but unfortunately my attention span isn't that great, once I've solved the major challenges I tend to loose interest and move on to the next project smile.gif
post #130 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg3point View Post

I have been anxious to get this going. My current setup with an old laptop works but i'd like to take things a step further. If i stick with the computer setup i want to use the open source of prismatik and create an Air app to control the display functions and colors. However i would really like to get this set up as an HDMI pass through like jvjessen. If i can accomplish this, i want to try and program some tweaks through arduino. I think it would be fun to have a display for either hockey and football games that i can put on a celebration light show on goals and touchdowns. Even taking it a step further to connect it to the web to have it automatically detect changes in score via live scoring feeds. I ordered an HDMI screw terminal, but i fear i may be over my head, but you never learn if you don't try. If jvjessen or anyone is willing to share some insight on how to get that going, i wou.d greatly appreciate it.

Here is my current setup with the overplayed kia commercial, you can see some lag and the colors are better than what the cell phone camera picks up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4yhNOOuivU

Your setup looks nice, but I guess the sample/update rate is a bit low, unless of course that is how you like it smile.gif ..

So the main reason I'm hesitant to share, is that it involves the killing of several unicorns and an extraction method too horrific to detail, but let's just say it involves large hydraulic presses and a lot of gore. biggrin.gif

Nah, that was just a joke, I didn't really kill the unicorns, but the hydraulic presses part is sadly true though.. biggrin.gif .. Nah, the real issue is HDMI and HDCP etc. I do respect that these are not open/free standards, you have to pay like $10K/year to do HDMI development and I'm pretty sure even if you paid that, then doing things with the HDCP will not keep you in good standing, or you might actually get a valid key, not sure about that, but anyway, I have no intention of paying that kind of licence fee to publish a design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg3point View Post

This may have been a dumb move, but i went ahead and ordered an HDMI screw terminal. Now i need to figure out how to pull and analyze the data sent to it. I really want to get this to work as a pass through.

Have fun smile.gif .. there are interesting pieces of information available.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Hardware Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › DIY RGB AmbiLight