Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › DIY RGB AmbiLight
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

DIY RGB AmbiLight - Page 8

post #71 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast View Post

I've got a big box of parts and a breadboard - I'm hoping it won't be too tricky, but it might take a while.  I figure if I start off with a few pure red, green & blue test screens I should be able to get the resistor values set up, then use some fading black-colour-white images to sort out the caps.

I know that VGA will do 1080p - as it's how I used to have to hook my laptop up to my TV anyway.  Many 1080p TVs won't allow that resolution over VGA though for some reason (father in law's Sony LCD is like that, although it will do 1080p over HDMI without problem).  I don't know about scart, but my cable box will output 1080p over HDMI and standard def pictures over scart simultaneously - so I intend to sample the scart signal for the LED but watch the HDMI signal on screen.

I tried doing a full screen average, it's nice for movies and TV, took a bit of fine tuning to find a good number of frames to do a running average on, without it being too slow but also not too lively, I use 10 frames now (from 30 fps capture). But I think I'm getting close to a preferred movie setting with every 2nd or 3rd LED showing detail average and the rest showing full average, that gives a nice subtle effect without being distracting.

Another observation with these LEDs is that they are not very linear in brightness adjustment, it's mostly a problem with very low values in a dark room, even with 8 bits per color precision the difference between 0-1-2-3... up to around 10 is noticeable.

I'll post a few more videos at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast View Post

I'm trying to prepare myself for that by sleeping lots now - only trouble is I have a couple of bedrooms I have to paint first!

I'm not sure that's how it works biggrin.gif .. but good luck
post #72 of 234
I'm patiently waiting for a parts list smile.gif
post #73 of 234
Thread Starter 
Made a small PCB so I can get rid of the breadboard. It's nowhere near final PCB design, but it does get rid of the bulky breadboard for now.

I'm very happy with the quality I can make on the old DIY CNC, it's got good precision in the center when I tighten everything up and don't go too fast. Tracks are about 0.6mm wide and most holes are 0.8mm. Done using a 1/8" 45 degree engraving bit, single pass.

post #74 of 234
Thread Starter 
Here a quick video using full screen average, used the same video as earlier to make comparison easier. It does give a much more subtle effect compared to detailed edge averages. I'm using a running average of 10 frames out of ~30 fps capture. So about 330ms for a full change, I find that to give me nice smooth transition effects without being behind or too lively.



It was recorded with my phone, so colors are not that accurate, it appears to make all bright colors washed out.

Anyway, my, so far, preferred effect for movies is using detail average for every 2nd or 3rd LED and then the full average for the rest. I'll do a video of that at some point.

Videos are not great for this kind of thing, they don't look as impressive as it really looks IRL, but they give a general idea, the rest you just have to imagine.
post #75 of 234
So much progress you made smile.gif how much parts has lowered weight of your wallet? smile.gif
post #76 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr one View Post

So much progress you made smile.gif how much parts has lowered weight of your wallet? smile.gif

Thanks, yeah it's not that hard to do. Of course I did kind of end up making ambilight on steroids, and I'm not done yet biggrin.gif

Most expensive are the LEDs, I paid something like $30/meter for these (60 LEDs per meter) I think they can be found cheaper by shopping around a bit more.

For the control electronics, total cost is probably around $50-$75 including hdmi cable, sockets and various bits and pieces. Had about half the parts lying around already.

Not exactly cheap, but since it kept me from going out to party last weekend, I've probably spent less than I usually would biggrin.gif

I've got it hooked up now so it goes between the HDMI output on my surround receiver and my TV, working as a pass though. It should work with DVI and DP as well, they are basically the same signals as HDMI, would just need a couple of small plug converters. I'm not sure if it works above 1920x1080 resolution, but I have tested lower resolutions and those were fine.
post #77 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvjessen View Post

Thanks, yeah it's not that hard to do. Of course I did kind of end up making ambilight on steroids, and I'm not done yet biggrin.gif

Most expensive are the LEDs, I paid something like $30/meter for these (60 LEDs per meter) I think they can be found cheaper by shopping around a bit more.

For the control electronics, total cost is probably around $50-$75 including hdmi cable, sockets and various bits and pieces. Had about half the parts lying around already.

Not exactly cheap, but since it kept me from going out to party last weekend, I've probably spent less than I usually would biggrin.gif

I've got it hooked up now so it goes between the HDMI output on my surround receiver and my TV, working as a pass though. It should work with DVI and DP as well, they are basically the same signals as HDMI, would just need a couple of small plug converters. I'm not sure if it works above 1920x1080 resolution, but I have tested lower resolutions and those were fine.

So you no party that weekend? biggrin.gif joking, ok i figured out that in my country thoose leds would cost maybe a bit more than 30 per meter, they should be like 45-50 per meter smile.gif
post #78 of 234
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr one View Post

So you no party that weekend? biggrin.gif joking, ok i figured out that in my country thoose leds would cost maybe a bit more than 30 per meter, they should be like 45-50 per meter smile.gif

Yeah, I was being a sad nerd at home, only kept company by my solder iron, scope and compiler biggrin.gif

$45/meter is very expensive eek.gif, there must be cheaper options unless you got a heavy tax on imported electronics. I'm hoping to find them at less than $20/m for small quantities, I would like to try some for ceiling up lights. I think I can print some rails and mounting system so they are not directly visible, but just spreads light on the ceiling.
post #79 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvjessen View Post

Yeah, I was being a sad nerd at home, only kept company by my solder iron, scope and compiler biggrin.gif

$45/meter is very expensive eek.gif, there must be cheaper options unless you got a heavy tax on imported electronics. I'm hoping to find them at less than $20/m for small quantities, I would like to try some for ceiling up lights. I think I can print some rails and mounting system so they are not directly visible, but just spreads light on the ceiling.
Warning: economical things! (Click to show)
Our VAT is 20% and on most electronics, pc parts and even a SOAP has a 50% overpricing without vat included because almost all shops here get items from the thirdt person supplier biggrin.gif so its kinda tricky but we end up getting a higher minimal paychech and even more higher prices next month as i remember biggrin.gif

Oh im thinking maybe start to order parts next month or something like that because this month i get some water cooling thingies and pc parts so no more bugdet room fot ambilight mad.gif
post #80 of 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvjessen View Post

Yeah, I was being a sad nerd at home, only kept company by my solder iron, scope and compiler biggrin.gif

$45/meter is very expensive eek.gif, there must be cheaper options unless you got a heavy tax on imported electronics. I'm hoping to find them at less than $20/m for small quantities, I would like to try some for ceiling up lights. I think I can print some rails and mounting system so they are not directly visible, but just spreads light on the ceiling.

Isn't a soldering iron the best company one could ask for? Only takes a second to turn on, not to mention she's quite hot. band.gif

Jokes aside, really neat work you're doing. HDMI passthrough and all. Genius! Embed the LEDs in a keyboard with illuminated keycaps, and sample the bottom of your monitor.
I'm so cheap
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 ASUS Rampage Formula Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pi... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Black Vertex 3 Hyper T4 Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Syncmaster 2233 Soyo 20" Logitech G15 Antec 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Tempest Razer Naga 2014 Rocketfish RBH Bookshelfs 
AudioAudio
Velodyne 10" Yamaha RX-V2600 
  hide details  
Reply
I'm so cheap
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 ASUS Rampage Formula Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pi... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Black Vertex 3 Hyper T4 Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Syncmaster 2233 Soyo 20" Logitech G15 Antec 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Tempest Razer Naga 2014 Rocketfish RBH Bookshelfs 
AudioAudio
Velodyne 10" Yamaha RX-V2600 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Other Hardware Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Other Hardware Mods › DIY RGB AmbiLight