Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Just picked up the HD598 for gaming.... never been so dissapointed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just picked up the HD598 for gaming.... never been so dissapointed. - Page 3

post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkbluffgrown View Post

I honestly believe that the OP has probably been listening to bass-heavy headphones in the past and expected something similar in the HD598 headphones. The first time I used a pair of ATH-AD700 headphones, I found them very light on bass, but once I played appropriate genres of music, I liked them very much.
People in this forum rag on gaming headsets through thread after thread, but honestly, gaming headsets are designed with mid-range and high frequency reproduction as their priority to aid in pinpointing enemies and to provide directionality. For music, they sound anemic and people write them off as crappy for music when they were never designed for it.
The Sennheiser set is designed for music playback and is an open pair of headphones. I think the op should simply use them for forty to fifty hours and just give them a chance.

People write them off because they sound like dog poo, not because they're bass light. In fact some headsets have OK bass and even bass that destroys the AD700s, yet clearly the AD700s are praised much more than gaming headsets. So I disagree, that's not the reason people hate on headsets.
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post

People write them off because they sound like dog poo

Wow, that was a less than eloquent way to express that. Thanks.
post #23 of 32
First thing I thought when I read the OP is that it sounds like he has the gain setting maxed out in his sound card software.

Make sure it's set to off or 60ohm or whatever the lowest setting is, and not 600.
COST EFFECTIVE
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz 1.24v Asus P8P67 Vanilla ASUS GTX660Ti DirectCU OC @ 1,250MHz/7,000MHz G.Skill Eco 1600Mhz 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1TB (WD10EZEX) Intel 520 120GB LG SuperMulti CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ E2420HD Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless w/ MX blues Seasonic SS-650HT 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 500R Logitech G400 Steelseries QCK Asus Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Fiio E17 Alpen Beyerdynamic DT770 + Zalman clip-on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
COST EFFECTIVE
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz 1.24v Asus P8P67 Vanilla ASUS GTX660Ti DirectCU OC @ 1,250MHz/7,000MHz G.Skill Eco 1600Mhz 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1TB (WD10EZEX) Intel 520 120GB LG SuperMulti CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ E2420HD Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless w/ MX blues Seasonic SS-650HT 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 500R Logitech G400 Steelseries QCK Asus Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Fiio E17 Alpen Beyerdynamic DT770 + Zalman clip-on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 32
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunex View Post

First thing I thought when I read the OP is that it sounds like he has the gain setting maxed out in his sound card software.
Make sure it's set to off or 60ohm or whatever the lowest setting is, and not 600.

My sound card is supposed to have a setting under headphone that can change between high gain (600 ohm) and normal gain 20-300 ohm. When i go into my drivers that setting is not present and many otherpeople dont have it aswell, im starting to think creative removed it or forgot about it completley.

Could the sound card be damagig all my headphones? Cause right now with the hd598 the thing at 100% is unbearably loud. If the soundcard is damaging my cans it is going straight back to the store and im getting the essence STX.
Edited by gabsonuro - 1/9/13 at 5:51am
post #25 of 32
I didn't read whole post but I used to own HD598s and in my Realtek HD settings it sounded extremely awful and muddy or whatever on stereo settings but it was awesome and crystal clear on 5.1 with only front speakers and bass thingy enabled.
A computer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte GTX780ti 4x4GB Kingston Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB Don't have Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Dell U2713HM Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair 650W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 300R Logitech G502 SS Qck Cheap 5.1 speakers/HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
A computer
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3 Gigabyte GTX780ti 4x4GB Kingston Fury 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Western Digital Green OCZ Vertex 4 - 128 GB Don't have Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Dell U2713HM Steelseries 6GV2 Corsair 650W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 300R Logitech G502 SS Qck Cheap 5.1 speakers/HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 32
Thread Starter 
I just exchanged it for the DT880's and they sound absolutely incredible....... cant imagine what they are gonna sound like after burn in. Maybe my sound card just does not like sennheiser.
post #27 of 32
Thread Starter 
im getting so paranoid about my sound card now because there is no gain option. Im worried that the thing could be running at full 600 ohms and be frying my headphones right now. Should i return it for an essence STX?

EDIT: there is a setting in my eq settings called LEVEL - goes from -12db to +12 db. could that be the gain setting?
Edited by gabsonuro - 1/9/13 at 11:57am
post #28 of 32
You are not "Frying" your headphones. I really believe you may have gotten a faulty pair of headphones with the Sennheiser pair to begin with.

Maxim made the headphone amplifier for the sound card. Here are the specs.
http://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/ver/C/id/7138/t/qv?ver=C&utm_expid=50713806-2&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.maximintegrated.com%2Fdatasheet%2Findex.mvp%2Fver%2FC%2Fid%2F7138%2Ft%2Fdo%3Fver%3DC
The amp is self-adjusting, thus no gain setting in the Creative control panel.
post #29 of 32
Thread Starter 
thanks for the clarification. I was freaking out because before in a preview i saw of the z series the drivers had a gain setting between 600 ohm and 30-300 ohm. anyways the beyers sound unbelievable in CS:GO

EDIT: i just tried it through my android and it also sounds great. i was worried i wasnt gonna be able to drive it with just an android but it reaches the perfect listening volume for me with the volume turned to max
Edited by gabsonuro - 1/9/13 at 2:55pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkbluffgrown View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simca View Post

People write them off because they sound like dog poo

Wow, that was a less than eloquent way to express that. Thanks.




That HD598 doesn't sound right at all, shouldn't sound that bad. rolleyes.gif

Enjoy the DT880 instead though. It's a better headphone than the 598.
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Gig
(24 items)
 
Sayonara
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Asus M4A79T Deluxe NVIDIA GTX 670 FTW OCZ Platinum 4GB 1600 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 90GB & Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Scythe MUGEN-2 Microsoft Windows 8 Professional Dell UltraSharp u2410 & Samsung 2333SW 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 OCZ GameXStream 700w HAF 932 Advanced Logitech G300 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Denon AVR-1912 Harman Kardon Infinity Primus P153  HIFIMAN HE-400 Vsonic GR07 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Shure SE-535 Limited Edition Beyerdynamic DT880 ODAC/Objective 2 Amplfiier Audio Technica AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Just picked up the HD598 for gaming.... never been so dissapointed.