Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Cheapest overclockable Intel Core "i" series CPU
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheapest overclockable Intel Core "i" series CPU - Page 2

post #11 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

Why would he waste money on an amd build? Op a 3570k build is what you want

No, the real question is why would you say something goofy like that? Did you even read the OP? Cost is a concern, if you didnt happen to catch that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascwhitfiel View Post

Comments like this are the reason I feel like there is some good reason I don't know about why NOT to build AMD.

Ignore the troll. His entire argument is about Vishera, which is only 1 CPU out of everything they make. Thatd be like writing off Intel completely because you dont like the 3770. AMD systems are fine. People that are building a budget AMD system dont use 8350s. If you can afford the 3570k, get it. If you dont want to spend that much money, there are AMDs that will be a massive upgrade over your current system but still cost less. A $100 2500K would be perfect if you can find one.
Edited by RX7-2nr - 1/9/13 at 8:45pm
post #12 of 38
Thread Starter 
I was just on the microcenter website again, and after looking for a few minutes, I wonder why they have a friggin website. Anything worth buying is "In-store only". Most of the few items that are actually available for purchase online are selling for the same price as everywhere else like Newegg, etc. What a joke. Not to mention I don't think they'll be opening a MicroCenter in my area (Eufaula, AL) any time soon.
post #13 of 38
Thread Starter 
I can think of a lot of reasons one might want to go to Atlanta but I lived there for ten years so I've pretty much already done all those things. Plus I just don't have the time right now.
post #14 of 38
Thread Starter 
Yes a $100 2500k would be great. I would buy it right now even though I have no motherboard or anything to even put it in. If only there was one available for purchase online (at that price or close to it) or locally...but there's not. Even the cheapest used one on Amazon is $189! What a joke!
post #15 of 38
Is this a gaming PC? If so the only real option is the 2nd or 3rd gen i5, if not that could change.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.7GHz 1.34v Asus P8Z77-V Pro Gigabyte Windforce 7950 8GB Crucial 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial m4 128 GB Samsung BluRay Windows 7 64 Samsung S27A950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Seasonic 760-X Corsair 800D Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k 4.7GHz 1.34v Asus P8Z77-V Pro Gigabyte Windforce 7950 8GB Crucial 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial m4 128 GB Samsung BluRay Windows 7 64 Samsung S27A950D 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Seasonic 760-X Corsair 800D Logitech G9 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12 View Post

Is this a gaming PC? If so the only real option is the 2nd or 3rd gen i5, if not that could change.

Yes, it would be my main computer. Used daily for regular crap like this, and often but not quite daily for gaming such as BF3, SC2, AC3, etc. I can play those games on my current setup fine. Also some light-duty video encoding/decoding. I guess the real reason I want to upgrade is to be able to take advantages of newer technology like USB 3.0, SATAIII, DDR3, etc. I know this is not "BRAND NEW" tech, but they are all things my current rig does not have/support. I just want to step into the new generation of products and get something that will keep me busy for a few years. I just like building computers.
post #17 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascwhitfiel View Post

I was just on the microcenter website again, and after looking for a few minutes, I wonder why they have a friggin website. Anything worth buying is "In-store only". Most of the few items that are actually available for purchase online are selling for the same price as everywhere else like Newegg, etc. What a joke. Not to mention I don't think they'll be opening a MicroCenter in my area (Eufaula, AL) any time soon.

All of the smoking deals are in-store, to get you in the store so that hopefully youll buy more than just the sales.

You could always see if Best Buy (if youve got one local) will match Microcenter's price on the 3570K. It might save you the trip to MC. They do price match now, they just dont advertise it.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1346910/besbuy-will-price-match-microcenter-i5-3570k-169-99/0_50
post #18 of 38
Thread Starter 
I keep thinking about an i3-2120 or i3-3220 if for any reason because they are so cheap. And I see in benchmarks and reviews that even the performance of the 2120 is at minimum a 33% increase from my current CPU (in terms of benchmarks anyway). I just dont want to to sell myself short just to save $50-$100. I guess I could always change my mind later and sell the first stuff and then buy the 2500k or 3570k or whatever, but it seems pointless to do so with that in mind already at this point in time. Plus I like to overclock and things of that nature. I feel like if I got one of those non-K processors I would regret it only because what you see is ALL you get.
post #19 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomascwhitfiel View Post

I keep thinking about an i3-2120 or i3-3220 if for any reason because they are so cheap. And I see in benchmarks and reviews that even the performance of the 2120 is at minimum a 33% increase from my current CPU (in terms of benchmarks anyway). I just dont want to to sell myself short just to save $50-$100. I guess I could always change my mind later and sell the first stuff and then buy the 2500k or 3570k or whatever, but it seems pointless to do so with that in mind already at this point in time. Plus I like to overclock and things of that nature. I feel like if I got one of those non-K processors I would regret it only because what you see is ALL you get.

Having a 3220 in my backup rig I totally agree with you but the I3 is a hell of a chip even for just being a dual core. If you decide to go that route it just gives you more time to overclock the memory and gpu
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 38
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

Having a 3220 in my backup rig I totally agree with you but the I3 is a hell of a chip even for just being a dual core. If you decide to go that route it just gives you more time to overclock the memory and gpu

What do you mean it gives me more time to overclock RAM and GPU? Oh, you mean I won't have the need to mess with the CPU?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Cheapest overclockable Intel Core "i" series CPU