Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › [Build thread] My first 4P (and first build ever!)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Build thread] My first 4P (and first build ever!)

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
OK, so I have not built up a computer since the early 1990's, so it seems the brave place to start was with a 4P config. The original reason was that I need it for research, but I will fold on it since it will not be in use at work all the time. Background: I'm a Ph.D. computational biologist, have been doing HPC for 22 years. Have not done folding but do docking and modeling, and collaborate with Dr. Pande on an NIH-funded project for drug screening. So, good with software, Unix/Linux, and algorithms, heavy consumer of cpu cycles, no recent experience with hardware builds.
Here is what I've purchased so far:

Supermicro H8QGL-IF+ motherboard -Received
4 x 6128 CPU (eventually to be upgraded) - Received
4 x Noctua NH-U9DO Heat sink - Shipped
Cooler Master Silent Pro M - 1000W 80 PLUS Bronze - Shipped

I have an extra 1Tb drive and 16gb of Crucial memory (1x16 DDR3). I expect to upgrade the memory once I get the system running.

Here are my naive questions:

1. Am I missing any cables needed to provide power?
2. I have not ordered a case but it will need to be in a case. Since this will be in an office and eventually a server room once stable, any recommendations?

Am I missing anything?
post #2 of 34
Depends. If your PSU has 2 8-pins EPS then you should be good to go. Otherwise, just buy the PCIe-to-EPS adaptor ..
post #3 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRunsPhilly View Post

I have an extra 1Tb drive and 16gb of Crucial memory (1x16 DDR3). I expect to upgrade the memory once I get the system running.

Here are my naive questions:

1. Am I missing any cables needed to provide power?
2. I have not ordered a case but it will need to be in a case. Since this will be in an office and eventually a server room once stable, any recommendations?

Am I missing anything?

Are you running ECC memory?
Also, how memory do you expect to need? For large amounts, you will need registered memory.

Motherboard has a 24-pin ATX plug and three 8-pin EPS plugs. Your PSU only has two EPS plugs so you will need a "8-pin PCIe to EPS adapter".

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/SR56x0/MNL-H8QGL-(6)(i)F+.pdf
Quote:
A 24-pin main power supply connector(JPW1) and three 8-pin CPU/Memory PWR connectors (JPW2/JPW3/JPW4) on the motherboard.


For a case, you plan to rack this eventually or just stick it in the corner of a server room?
Edited by DuckieHo - 1/11/13 at 10:06am
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 34

looks like a good build to me! :-D

post #5 of 34
Thats one heck of a PC to get back into things.

There are some case options here, which I'm guessing you may have seen already:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1212613/guide-building-a-2p-4p-from-start-to-finish-along-with-ppd-benchmarks-gallery/0_30

[H] also has a similar thread over there about 4p with some parts that work/don't work.

Looks like 300k PPD smile.gif
post #6 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Are you running ECC memory?
Also, how memory do you expect to need? For large amounts, you will need registered memory.

Motherboard has a 24-pin ATX plug and three 8-pin EPS plugs. Your PSU only has two EPS plugs so you will need a "8-pin PCIe to EPS adapter".

http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/SR56x0/MNL-H8QGL-(6)(i)F+.pdf
For a case, you plan to rack this eventually or just stick it in the corner of a server room?

64gb memory is apparently a minimum for the application. I guess this will be a big expense. Not sure how I should proceed here, ECC or non-ECC, since 64gb is the limit for non-ECC.

I don;t need to rack this, it can sit on a shelf with some of the other non-rackmount servers.

Thanks for the tip on the adapter. That would have been frustrating!

One other really stupid question - do I need a power button? I can yank one out if a junk machine if necessary until I put it in a case.
Edited by BrianRunsPhilly - 1/12/13 at 9:01am
post #7 of 34
I've used a screw driver before to touch the 2 pins on the motherboard smile.gif On one PC thats open on my desk now I have a 2 pin connector plugged in but the ends of the wires are open. I just tap them together and it starts haha.
post #8 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianRunsPhilly View Post

64gb memory is apparently a minimum for the application. I guess this will be a big expense. Not sure how I should proceed here, ECC or non-ECC, since 64gb is the limit for non-ECC.

I don;t need to rack this, it can sit on a shelf with some of the other non-rackmount servers.

Thanks for the tip on the adapter. That would have been frustrating!

One other really stupid question - do I need a power button? I can yank one out if a junk machine if necessary until I put it in a case.

It is up to you ..but power button would make your life easier biggrin.gif
post #9 of 34
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbinh View Post

It is up to you ..but power button would make your life easier biggrin.gif

I suppose it would at that! OK, ordered a case - NORCO RPC-470 Black 4U Rackmount Server Case. It was on the list of working cases and since it will eventually move to a server room, it was the least expensive option.

Everything but the case will be here by tomorrow, so Wednesday I can start the actual build and will take photos as I go along. I'll sort out the memory issue next week once this is working and stable.
post #10 of 34
You need lots of memory... get registered ECC RAM.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net Folding@Home Team
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › [Build thread] My first 4P (and first build ever!)