Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver Overclocking Guide - Asus Motherboard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver Overclocking Guide - Asus Motherboard - Page 20

Poll Results: Was this helpful?

 
  • 96% (404)
    Yes
  • 3% (13)
    No
417 Total Votes  
post #191 of 4087
Does switching the CPU and CPU/NB Voltages to Offset Mode changes the values back to stock?
PolaRyz
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus Crosshair VI Hero AMD Sapphire RX 470 OC Hyper X Predator 3000Mhz 32gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 GB Seagate ST1000DM003 Toshiba DC01ACA300 Phanteks TC14PE 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 23MP68VQ LG 23MP68VQ SeaSonic S12G 750w 80+ Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury Steelseries Qck Mass 
  hide details  
Reply
PolaRyz
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus Crosshair VI Hero AMD Sapphire RX 470 OC Hyper X Predator 3000Mhz 32gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 GB Seagate ST1000DM003 Toshiba DC01ACA300 Phanteks TC14PE 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 LG 23MP68VQ LG 23MP68VQ SeaSonic S12G 750w 80+ Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury Steelseries Qck Mass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #192 of 4087
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashura View Post

Does switching the CPU and CPU/NB Voltages to Offset Mode changes the values back to stock?

It depends. Offset Mode with Auto settings will actually increase the voltage based on Overclock. If you are at Stock CPU settings and you change to Offset Mode, then it will change them to stock.

Also take note that it will increase the CPU/NB voltages as well based on Overclock. I've seen it set up to 1.4v for CPU/NB
post #193 of 4087
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRestore View Post

Johnyboy is right. It's just that you can't set the Secondary Turbo lower than the Primary - so it'll default to a Minimum of 20.5. I'm still not sure why Turbo is not activating for you. (Primary Turbo uses a 20.5 Ratio)

I'd Load Optimal Defaults, and then just change the FSB only. Then manually set your HTT, CPU/NB and DRAM. Leave CPU and CPU/NB Voltages on Auto and on Offset Mode.

Ahhh I was misunderstanding.

First Turbo is 20.5, it is not manually set multiplier + 0.5. Which is what you both (Johnnyboy and Computer Restore) mean when you say it cannot be changed. It is set at 20.5 not an application of + 0.5.
Moneypit
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370E ASUS Sabertooth MSI 7950 G SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Agility 2 Agility 3 Western Digital Black  Custom Loop 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Pro Corsair 750W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
Moneypit
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370E ASUS Sabertooth MSI 7950 G SKILL Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Agility 2 Agility 3 Western Digital Black  Custom Loop 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Pro Corsair 750W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #194 of 4087
Nice post.

I have 2 main questions regarding to the "recommended setting" section.

1st is the C1E Support
According to the manual -when enabled, the CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced during system halt state to decrease power consumption.
Also I've done a lot of readings on overclocking and they all recommend this setting to be disable as i thought so.
Is the any reason that OP enabling this setting?

2nd is HPC mode
This is high performance computing mode if i am right. -enable prevents the CPU frequency from being lowered during system halt state.
I set it disable as you recommended but it downclocked my multiplier underload from 200x20=4Ghz to 200x15=3Ghz. So I leave it enable and it gives me 4Ghz constantly.
Is there any benefit to disable this setting?

Again this guide helps me a lot, thanks.

PS:I've been using ASUS board for years, just swtiched to gigabyte 990FXA-UD3. (I think C1E and HPC work in the same way on both boards?)
post #195 of 4087
Thread Starter 
Hi, glad you like my guide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdeng47 View Post

Nice post.

I have 2 main questions regarding to the "recommended setting" section.

1st is the C1E Support
According to the manual -when enabled, the CPU core frequency and voltage will be reduced during system halt state to decrease power consumption.
Also I've done a lot of readings on overclocking and they all recommend this setting to be disable as i thought so.
Is the any reason that OP enabling this setting?

The power saving features don't generally effect Overclocking now, compared to when they were first being introduced. In my experience they have never caused instability on these new Asus Boards, so I recommend leaving them enabled. Feel free to disable them, if you feel it's effecting your Overclock performance though.
Quote:
2nd is HPC mode
This is high performance computing mode if i am right. -enable prevents the CPU frequency from being lowered during system halt state.
I set it disable as you recommended but it downclocked my multiplier underload from 200x20=4Ghz to 200x15=3Ghz. So I leave it enable and it gives me 4Ghz constantly.
Is there any benefit to disable this setting?

On two of the boards that I've tried (M5A99FX Pro and M5A99X Evo) enabling HPC mode would cause the system to freeze while Overclocking. That's the reason I recommend to disable it. From users of the Gigabyte Motherboards, this setting apparenlty prevents the CPU from throttling when the VRM's get hot. I imagine that's also what it's meant for on the Asus boards, but I've never got it to work properly.[/quote]

I hope that helps to answer your questions. Remember too that this is just a guide, so if there is a setting you'd rather use, or maybe a new BIOS update changes things, then go for it. thumb.gif
post #196 of 4087
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRestore View Post

Hi, glad you like my guide.
The power saving features don't generally effect Overclocking now, compared to when they were first being introduced. In my experience they have never caused instability on these new Asus Boards, so I recommend leaving them enabled. Feel free to disable them, if you feel it's effecting your Overclock performance though.
On two of the boards that I've tried (M5A99FX Pro and M5A99X Evo) enabling HPC mode would cause the system to freeze while Overclocking. That's the reason I recommend to disable it. From users of the Gigabyte Motherboards, this setting apparenlty prevents the CPU from throttling when the VRM's get hot. I imagine that's also what it's meant for on the Asus boards, but I've never got it to work properly.

I hope that helps to answer your questions. Remember too that this is just a guide, so if there is a setting you'd rather use, or maybe a new BIOS update changes things, then go for it. thumb.gif

Great, thank you.

I'm still tweaking to get max stable clock at around 1.4v, hopefully i can hit 4.4Ghz - 4.5Ghz.

So when you were working on ASUS board with HPC disable, did you get any "multiplier drop problem"?
post #197 of 4087
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by akdeng47 View Post

Great, thank you.

I'm still tweaking to get max stable clock at around 1.4v, hopefully i can hit 4.4Ghz - 4.5Ghz.

So when you were working on ASUS board with HPC disable, did you get any "multiplier drop problem"?

I never had any multiplier drop issues while stress testing with HPC disabled. Under normal usage I would see the multiplier drop, but I assume that's because of the power saving features.
On the M5A99FX Pro and M5A99X Evo boards, there seems to be issues with getting past 4.7-4.8Ghz stable, which HPC might help with, as I've heard of the system throttles at those frequencies.
I was able to get 4.7Ghz stable with HPC disabled (Fan on socket and a fan on the VRMs), but 4.8Ghz is too high for my system cooling (65-70C Core temp on Prime) to test accurately.
post #198 of 4087
Hi and thanks alot for this thread...thumb.gif
finally got my 6100 at least stable for the first 10 min small fft test without scarring the turds outta my bum....(cpu:54°,vcore 60°during prime after 11 min)
one Thing is weird: with youre recomended Settings my RAM Timings adjusted themselves way different to rated specs...is that o.k. or should i Change them manually?
ruderig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990FX  Gigabyte 610 GT silent Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 corsair h 60 win 7 pro 2x 19" hanns g 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Bquiet 430 CM Silencio 550 External Focusrite 1xUAD solo 
  hide details  
Reply
ruderig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990FX  Gigabyte 610 GT silent Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 corsair h 60 win 7 pro 2x 19" hanns g 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Bquiet 430 CM Silencio 550 External Focusrite 1xUAD solo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #199 of 4087
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fohtecki View Post

Hi and thanks alot for this thread...thumb.gif
finally got my 6100 at least stable for the first 10 min small fft test without scarring the turds outta my bum....(cpu:54°,vcore 60°during prime after 11 min)
one Thing is weird: with youre recomended Settings my RAM Timings adjusted themselves way different to rated specs...is that o.k. or should i Change them manually?

you should manually set your DRAM to their rated specs and voltages, for proper performance. biggrin.gif
post #200 of 4087
Thanks for answering, but what i really meant was: is 9-9-9-24 (Specs) any better than 10-x-x-24 (x=because i sadly didn´t note what the Auto had set it to...i think it was 10-6-10-24).
would 10 oposed to 9 mean something like 1 more, therefor faster or would it mean: 1 more, therefore slower? rolleyes.gif
i have had a lot of Trouble with These RAMs, had to decrease from 4x4GB to 2x4, to finally get rid of BSOD´s, but still dont know what caused them, because memtest says they all where ok...still have to check the two spare ones now in single mode to find out if the Problem Comes back doh.gif
Edited by fohtecki - 3/20/13 at 7:33pm
ruderig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990FX  Gigabyte 610 GT silent Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 corsair h 60 win 7 pro 2x 19" hanns g 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Bquiet 430 CM Silencio 550 External Focusrite 1xUAD solo 
  hide details  
Reply
ruderig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990FX  Gigabyte 610 GT silent Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 corsair h 60 win 7 pro 2x 19" hanns g 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Bquiet 430 CM Silencio 550 External Focusrite 1xUAD solo 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver Overclocking Guide - Asus Motherboard