Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver Overclocking Guide - Asus Motherboard
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver Overclocking Guide - Asus Motherboard - Page 63

Poll Results: Was this helpful?

 
  • 96% (405)
    Yes
  • 3% (13)
    No
418 Total Votes  
post #621 of 4095
Before someone reads below i need to make a statement that i am no expert
and that the info i have gathered is from various posts and some friends advice.

D.O.C.P is an ''overclocking'' feature provided only in asus m/bs.
It is similar to xmp profiles for intel platforms, but it also supports
ram without xmp, like mine for example. It tries to identify an
''overclocking profile'' for ram, given that any speed above 1333mhz
is considered as such.
From what i have gathered, it performs a quick compatibility check and
assigns ram values.
The info i have so far is that it is conservative but rather stable.
In fact in an intel platform paired with xmp ram it will load the exact
same settings as using xmp profiles.

In my case it autodetected 1600mhz ram speed and 9-9-9-24-2T timings.
Also it reverted the ram voltage from 1.65v to Auto (1.48v bios reading, 1.5v cpu-z reading).
The strange thing is that my ram is advertized as 1600 9-9-9-27-2T.

Manually setting what d.o.c.p picked changes nothing.

*note*
I read somewhere in this forum that my ram can operate at the advertized timings
and speed @1.5v and 1.65v is not needed.

As far as the imc is conserned i had only a few hours to check (so no prime95)
but so far it seems that i can achieve higher cpu clock @stock cpu/nb voltage
with only 2 ram modules.


As a conclusion one thing seems certain. Either from d.o.c.p magical abilities or
by my ram's ability to run @1.5v, less power came through the imc.
I have come to believe that, its not the frequency that matters when populating
all memory banks, but the fact that too much power is passing through the imc.

Most people using 4 ram nodules reduce their ram speed or cpu/nb speed
to have acceptable cpu/nb voltage whereas reducing ram voltage (when possible ofcourse)
could give better yields/stability.
Pilerider Mk8
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 @4.4ghz M5A99FX PRO R2.0 GTX 670 @1162Mhz max 4x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2xSamsung 830 128GB Raid0 Western Digital Caviar green 1TB Sata3 Lg optical dvd rw +r Corsair H80i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Winf 7 pro Samsung S27B370H 60hz 1080p Microsoft X4 Nexus 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Sharkoon  Razar DeathAdder 3.5g Roccat Taito Creative Labs Recon 3D 
OtherOther
M-AUDIO AV-40 Aerocool Touch 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
Pilerider Mk8
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 @4.4ghz M5A99FX PRO R2.0 GTX 670 @1162Mhz max 4x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2xSamsung 830 128GB Raid0 Western Digital Caviar green 1TB Sata3 Lg optical dvd rw +r Corsair H80i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Winf 7 pro Samsung S27B370H 60hz 1080p Microsoft X4 Nexus 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Sharkoon  Razar DeathAdder 3.5g Roccat Taito Creative Labs Recon 3D 
OtherOther
M-AUDIO AV-40 Aerocool Touch 1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #622 of 4095
Looks like my newest upgrade was the right choice to compliment the success of this guide for me. I have been folding stable with my fx-8120 @ 4.5GHz at 59*C core since the first time I followed this guide. Which was ok but I was uncomfortable with being so close to the max @ 61*C core. and 4.5GHz is a nice round number is all I ever wanted and needed. I wasn't sure what my next upgrade would be but I decided I would center on cooling. Whether fans or coolers I decided to upgrade my H80 with a H100 on clearance for $65 (no open box). I was optimistic about the results I would get. I added my H80 fans to push/pull. Anyway without going too far out of topic I can just say this guide and H100 made a huge improvement. I still do not want to go higher in frequency so I stuck with resolving temps for 4.5GHz. With H100 at medium speed I am now folding at 51*C load compared to H80 at 59*C load I was at before. Huge margin for overclocking further if I like (especially since I am only on H100's medium setting) but I am satisfied enough with the better temps that this guide got me to

Keep on foldin'! thumb.gif.
post #623 of 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusXXX View Post

Before someone reads below i need to make a statement that i am no expert
and that the info i have gathered is from various posts and some friends advice.

D.O.C.P is an ''overclocking'' feature provided only in asus m/bs.
It is similar to xmp profiles for intel platforms, but it also supports
ram without xmp, like mine for example. It tries to identify an
''overclocking profile'' for ram, given that any speed above 1333mhz
is considered as such.
From what i have gathered, it performs a quick compatibility check and
assigns ram values.
The info i have so far is that it is conservative but rather stable.
In fact in an intel platform paired with xmp ram it will load the exact
same settings as using xmp profiles.

In my case it autodetected 1600mhz ram speed and 9-9-9-24-2T timings.
Also it reverted the ram voltage from 1.65v to Auto (1.48v bios reading, 1.5v cpu-z reading).
The strange thing is that my ram is advertized as 1600 9-9-9-27-2T.

Manually setting what d.o.c.p picked changes nothing.

*note*
I read somewhere in this forum that my ram can operate at the advertized timings
and speed @1.5v and 1.65v is not needed.

As far as the imc is conserned i had only a few hours to check (so no prime95)
but so far it seems that i can achieve higher cpu clock @stock cpu/nb voltage
with only 2 ram modules.


As a conclusion one thing seems certain. Either from d.o.c.p magical abilities or
by my ram's ability to run @1.5v, less power came through the imc.
I have come to believe that, its not the frequency that matters when populating
all memory banks, but the fact that too much power is passing through the imc.

Most people using 4 ram nodules reduce their ram speed or cpu/nb speed
to have acceptable cpu/nb voltage whereas reducing ram voltage (when possible ofcourse)
could give better yields/stability.

Sort of how i inderstand it, i didnt think to check you had manually set your ram.... facepalm on my part, yeah the imc doesnt like the higher voltage so thus reducing it with the 4 banks still populated seems to have done the trick for you, glad you got it stable, just added some blue ccfl strips to my clear acrylic case, need to do some major cable management now :-)
post #624 of 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRestore View Post

If you could verify what this does outside of automatically setting the DRAM Profile based on DRAM frequency, I will definately add it to the guide.
I've seen this mentioned on other motherboard forums (not in a guide) such as Gigabyte.

As far as I know it's the same as setting your stock settings for your Ram, (correct me if I'm wrong).

I will definately list it as an option seeing as it's assisted in your Prime Stability, but I would also like to list the reason that it works.
If you manually set it to what D.O.C.P. set, will it retain it's stability
- verify if due to lower DRAM Voltage it assists in stability

Thanks very much if you could offer any insight to this, as I no longer have either of my Bulldozer/Piledriver setups for testing.

Something interesting is that I didn't have any Prime issues outside of needing extra cpu voltage. (on my 2nd Piledriver CPU as the first was defective). But I also run low voltage Samsung Green Ram @ 1.3v and never higher than 1.475v

I had to set my ram to its rated speeds and timings manually using d.o.c.p. when i first started or my g.skills ripjaws were running at 1333mhz, think its something bout amd and xmp, samsung low profile ram is fantastic for oc'ing
post #625 of 4095
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusXXX View Post

Before someone reads below i need to make a statement that i am no expert Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
and that the info i have gathered is from various posts and some friends advice.

D.O.C.P is an ''overclocking'' feature provided only in asus m/bs.
It is similar to xmp profiles for intel platforms, but it also supports
ram without xmp, like mine for example. It tries to identify an
''overclocking profile'' for ram, given that any speed above 1333mhz
is considered as such.
From what i have gathered, it performs a quick compatibility check and
assigns ram values.
The info i have so far is that it is conservative but rather stable.
In fact in an intel platform paired with xmp ram it will load the exact
same settings as using xmp profiles.

In my case it autodetected 1600mhz ram speed and 9-9-9-24-2T timings.
Also it reverted the ram voltage from 1.65v to Auto (1.48v bios reading, 1.5v cpu-z reading).
The strange thing is that my ram is advertized as 1600 9-9-9-27-2T.

Manually setting what d.o.c.p picked changes nothing.

*note*
I read somewhere in this forum that my ram can operate at the advertized timings
and speed @1.5v and 1.65v is not needed.

As far as the imc is conserned i had only a few hours to check (so no prime95)
but so far it seems that i can achieve higher cpu clock @stock cpu/nb voltage
with only 2 ram modules.


As a conclusion one thing seems certain. Either from d.o.c.p magical abilities or
by my ram's ability to run @1.5v, less power came through the imc.
I have come to believe that, its not the frequency that matters when populating
all memory banks, but the fact that too much power is passing through the imc.

Most people using 4 ram nodules reduce their ram speed or cpu/nb speed
to have acceptable cpu/nb voltage whereas reducing ram voltage (when possible ofcourse)
could give better yields/stability.

Thanks for the info +1.

I will update the guide to reflect the benefits of using lower voltage for the Ram modules.
post #626 of 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRestore View Post

Thanks for the info +1.

I will update the guide to reflect the benefits of using lower voltage for the Ram modules.
Also, not sure it's helpful on this particular subject, but on my Kingston HyperX RAM, it says that the voltage needs to be set to 1.65V in order to run its 9-9-9-24 timings at 1600Mhz. I was able to back the voltage down to 1.5 and everything is working exactly the same. No hiccups or anything recorded after a few runs of High and Very High from IBT.
Destrto3
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Radeon R9 270X Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... SanDisk Extreme 240 Western Digital WDC WD10 EARS 1TB Seagate ST2000DM 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB EK Supreme LTx (AMD) Windows 8.1 Sceptre 32" LCD Flat Panel TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Devastator ThermalTake TR2 RX 850W Corsair Obsidian 750D Cooler Master Devastator 
Audio
OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
Destrto3
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Radeon R9 270X Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... SanDisk Extreme 240 Western Digital WDC WD10 EARS 1TB Seagate ST2000DM 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB EK Supreme LTx (AMD) Windows 8.1 Sceptre 32" LCD Flat Panel TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Devastator ThermalTake TR2 RX 850W Corsair Obsidian 750D Cooler Master Devastator 
Audio
OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #627 of 4095
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrto View Post

Also, not sure it's helpful on this particular subject, but on my Kingston HyperX RAM, it says that the voltage needs to be set to 1.65V in order to run its 9-9-9-24 timings at 1600Mhz. I was able to back the voltage down to 1.5 and everything is working exactly the same. No hiccups or anything recorded after a few runs of High and Very High from IBT.

Interesting. I wonder if that would help you push for a higher stable clock too, since the extra CPU voltage wasn't doing anything for it.

There's some people on other threads that complain that Prime95 will fail even at their stock settings so it's not a good stress tool. I will pay more attention to their Rig info to see if there is a connection between 4x DIMMS @ 1.65v, which maybe even at a stock CPU frequency is causing issues for the IMC.
post #628 of 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRestore View Post

Interesting. I wonder if that would help you push for a higher stable clock too, since the extra CPU voltage wasn't doing anything for it.

There's some people on other threads that complain that Prime95 will fail even at their stock settings so it's not a good stress tool. I will pay more attention to their Rig info to see if there is a connection between 4x DIMMS @ 1.65v, which maybe even at a stock CPU frequency is causing issues for the IMC.

I will definitely be testing this theory in the morning. Cant find a save spot in Metro:Last Light just yet haha.
Destrto3
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Radeon R9 270X Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... SanDisk Extreme 240 Western Digital WDC WD10 EARS 1TB Seagate ST2000DM 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB EK Supreme LTx (AMD) Windows 8.1 Sceptre 32" LCD Flat Panel TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Devastator ThermalTake TR2 RX 850W Corsair Obsidian 750D Cooler Master Devastator 
Audio
OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
Destrto3
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Radeon R9 270X Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... SanDisk Extreme 240 Western Digital WDC WD10 EARS 1TB Seagate ST2000DM 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB EK Supreme LTx (AMD) Windows 8.1 Sceptre 32" LCD Flat Panel TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Devastator ThermalTake TR2 RX 850W Corsair Obsidian 750D Cooler Master Devastator 
Audio
OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #629 of 4095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrto View Post

I will definitely be testing this theory in the morning. Cant find a save spot in Metro:Last Light just yet haha.
So I have tested it... Results??


STABLE!!

Just a quick run. I had to bump my voltage up to 1.4V (1.392V in CPU-Z)
My NB temp got a little over the threshold, but it held at 74C, and I was not worried that it was dangerously high.
Destrto3
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Radeon R9 270X Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... SanDisk Extreme 240 Western Digital WDC WD10 EARS 1TB Seagate ST2000DM 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB EK Supreme LTx (AMD) Windows 8.1 Sceptre 32" LCD Flat Panel TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Devastator ThermalTake TR2 RX 850W Corsair Obsidian 750D Cooler Master Devastator 
Audio
OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
Destrto3
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8120 M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Radeon R9 270X Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 ... SanDisk Extreme 240 Western Digital WDC WD10 EARS 1TB Seagate ST2000DM 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB EK Supreme LTx (AMD) Windows 8.1 Sceptre 32" LCD Flat Panel TV 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master Devastator ThermalTake TR2 RX 850W Corsair Obsidian 750D Cooler Master Devastator 
Audio
OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #630 of 4095
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrto View Post

So I have tested it... Results??


STABLE!!

Just a quick run. I had to bump my voltage up to 1.4V (1.392V in CPU-Z)
My NB temp got a little over the threshold, but it held at 74C, and I was not worried that it was dangerously high.

Wow nice. That's really impressive. Good scores on IBT, which usually indicates that it's very stable. So it's very possible that yours just didn't like the high DRAM voltage either.

Too bad you are at the limit of your cooling, cause I'm very curious how much further your CPU would go. Being that most these M5A99FX boards seem to top out at 4.7-4.8Ghz Max, it wouldn't be a good idea to drop $$$ on WCing either though tongue.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD Bulldozer and Piledriver Overclocking Guide - Asus Motherboard