Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Help me choose my 670s 4gb SLI.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me choose my 670s 4gb SLI.

Poll Results: Which of these two cards should I buy?

 
  • 77% (7)
    EVGA GTX 670 4Gb Superclocked+ Backplate
  • 22% (2)
    GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-4GD
9 Total Votes  
post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
( EDIT: Forget it lol. I didn't see that the Gigabyte was 3-slot.. Stupid me. )


Hi folks,

So I hesitate beween these two models.

- EVGA GTX 670 4Gb Superclocked+ Backplate
- GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-4GD

Both are exactly the same price. Roughly same clock speed.

EVGA:
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif : reference cooler
thumb.gif backplate (I LOVE backplates!), black PCB, design & colors

GIGABYTE
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif : no backplate, blue PCB, design
thumb.gif : Aftermarket Cooler with 3 fans!

*** Bear in mind that I buy a pair to use them in SLI ***.

I love a product to be pleasing to my eyes (My case has a window so I see the cards); so I'd go with the EVGA, but I also love a silent card, so I' d go for the Gigabyte, though I never tested this cooler. Anyone in the room own a Gigabyte card with this 3-fans cooler? Is it cool and silent?

Vote! But please if you vote, tell me your reasons in this thread.

Thank you.
Edited by DaGoat - 1/12/13 at 10:53pm
post #2 of 21
I would weigh how their support is in France as the deciding factor for me. Personally I hate Giga so I would go with the EVGA and I have! But that's my bias so I won't force it on you. Which do you think will be easier to deal with if it came to that?
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Support in France just plain sucks, with all brands lol. Though I do think EVGA lives up to its reputation and is slightly better Their support website is much, much more detailed and "well-kept" than Gigabyte's, which is very minimal.

I had a very bad experience with Gigabyte once, I know it's probably bad luck and it was a motherboard anyway, not a graphics card.

I guess I can't go wrong with either of those but... The GB has an aftermarket cooler, I may be very happy in the long run to avoid whiny fans and enjoy lower temps. But it doesn't have a backplate, and I hate when there's no backplate, it's a mess to handle and to clean up.

Still hesitating a bit between 7970 and 670 too, but I'll buy these cards just for waiting like 6 months until a good 780 card comes out, like a Lightning or something.
Edited by DaGoat - 1/12/13 at 10:05pm
post #4 of 21
Since you're planning on going SLI, i would say go with the reference cooler on the EVGA. That way even if the two are together, the hot air is exhausted to the back and doesn't build up inside. Buuuuuuuut that could also be louder. If you have good airflow in the case, go with Gigabyte and see if you can find a backplate to cover up the blue PCB.
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmana View Post

Since you're planning on going SLI, i would say go with the reference cooler on the EVGA. That way even if the two are together, the hot air is exhausted to the back and doesn't build up inside. Buuuuuuuut that could also be louder. If you have good airflow in the case, go with Gigabyte and see if you can find a backplate to cover up the blue PCB.

Sorry I don't get it... Cooler fans on GFX cards are intake... what do you mean, " the hot air is exhausted to the back and doesn't build up inside"? You mean thanks to the backplate?

I don't know if my case has a good airflow, it's a Corsair 600T SE, it is known to have a decent airflow, but no that much compared to other Cooler Master etc. Though I will improve the airflow by replacing the stock 200mm fans with Bitfenix Spectre pro, and tryi to seneak a couple of other 120mm fans into the case. And maybe - maybe - add the mesh panel with 4x120mm good fans..
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoat View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmana View Post

Since you're planning on going SLI, i would say go with the reference cooler on the EVGA. That way even if the two are together, the hot air is exhausted to the back and doesn't build up inside. Buuuuuuuut that could also be louder. If you have good airflow in the case, go with Gigabyte and see if you can find a backplate to cover up the blue PCB.

Sorry I don't get it... Cooler fans on GFX cards are intake... what do you mean, " the hot air is exhausted to the back and doesn't build up inside"? You mean thanks to the backplate?

I don't know if my case has a good airflow, it's a Corsair 600T SE, it is known to have a decent airflow, but no that much compared to other Cooler Master etc. Though I will improve the airflow by replacing the stock 200mm fans with Bitfenix Spectre pro, and tryi to seneak a couple of other 120mm fans into the case. And maybe - maybe - add the mesh panel with 4x120mm good fans..


In SLI you want to EXPEL the hot air. Open fan coolers like the GIga will punish you in SLI because they don't expel the air and instead recirculate the hot air.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 21
Thread Starter 
Oh my, I just realized something! That damn Gigabyte is a 3-slot card lol!!

And that's precisely why I upgrade, I have two 3-slot cards and they're sandwiched so I'm getting insane temps on the top card !

I didn't even see this doh.gif

Okay guys, this deal is settled now, forget it lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

In SLI you want to EXPEL the hot air. Open fan coolers like the GIga will punish you in SLI because they don't expel the air and instead recirculate the hot air.

Okay but how do you control it then? You can't control the spin direction of your fan on the graphics card...And it spins intake... How you exhaust air within your case is another story. You exhaust air through the top as heat rise. Intake at the bottom front, exhaust at the top.
post #8 of 21
The ref evga cooler will exhaust hot air out the back of the case.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoat View Post

Okay but how do you control it then? You can't control the spin direction of your fan on the graphics card...And it spins intake... How you exhaust air within your case is another story. You exhaust air through the top as heat rise. Intake at the bottom front, exhaust at the top.

It intakes it where the fan is... brings the cooler air over the board and then.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

The ref evga cooler will exhaust hot air out the back of the case.
post #10 of 21
I would get the 670 FTW+ over the Superclocked+, it's a bit better of a card and uses the 680 pcb/cooler. Although I'm not sure if it comes with a backplate.
 
ThinkPad W520
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 3.7 GHz 1.32v Asus P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP @n MSI GTX 680 Lightning 4GB Corsair XMS3 DHXNV DDR3-1454 9-9-9-24-2T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB Asus DVD-RW Zalman 9700 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC MultiSync PA271W 2560x1440 Logitech MK320 Silverstone ZM1200M Lian-Li PC-V2110 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 2720QM @ 2.2 GHz Quadro 1000M 8GB DDR3-1333 500GB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 1920x1080 Matte 15.6" 170W Brick 
Mouse
Microsoft Ergonomic Potato 
CPURAMHard DriveHard Drive
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz 48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066 250 GB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 7200 RPM 2 TB Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
3 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM Ubuntu Server 13.04 650W Delta PSU 1U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
 
ThinkPad W520
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 3.7 GHz 1.32v Asus P5E3 Premium/WiFi-AP @n MSI GTX 680 Lightning 4GB Corsair XMS3 DHXNV DDR3-1454 9-9-9-24-2T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
OCZ Vertex 4 256 GB Asus DVD-RW Zalman 9700 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
NEC MultiSync PA271W 2560x1440 Logitech MK320 Silverstone ZM1200M Lian-Li PC-V2110 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 2720QM @ 2.2 GHz Quadro 1000M 8GB DDR3-1333 500GB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
DVD-RW Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 1920x1080 Matte 15.6" 170W Brick 
Mouse
Microsoft Ergonomic Potato 
CPURAMHard DriveHard Drive
Dual Intel Xeon L5520 2.26 GHz 48 GB Samsung DDR3-1066 250 GB Seagate Barracuda ES.2 7200 RPM 2 TB Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
3 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM Ubuntu Server 13.04 650W Delta PSU 1U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Help me choose my 670s 4gb SLI.