Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Cheaper alternative to buying windows?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Cheaper alternative to buying windows?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I need a couple copies of windows 7. I'm wondering what is a cheaper alternate way of buying it rather than 100 from newegg.

my GF is a student at college, isn't there something she can sign up with to get cheaper software?

What about MSDN, i heard of it but not sure what it is.

Thanks in advance.
Obelisk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 720BE @3.2Ghz Gigabyte US2H EvGa 450 GTS GSkill 1066 3GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160 GB Cav Lite-on DVD Burner Windows Vista 32bit SP2 21' Sony Trinitron 85Hrz RR 
PowerCase
400W Corsair NZXT BETA Evo 
  hide details  
Reply
Obelisk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 720BE @3.2Ghz Gigabyte US2H EvGa 450 GTS GSkill 1066 3GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160 GB Cav Lite-on DVD Burner Windows Vista 32bit SP2 21' Sony Trinitron 85Hrz RR 
PowerCase
400W Corsair NZXT BETA Evo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
If you don't absolutely need Windows 7, you can get a copy of Windows 8 OEM 64-bit from NCIXUS for $87.99 with free shipping and handling.

Source


If you do need Windows 7 you can get a 3-pack for ~ $289.99 according to listings on PCPartPicker

Source

Also browse through the Microsoft Student page and see if they offer any special discounts for eligible students.

Hope this helped.
Edited by CS14 - 1/13/13 at 6:02pm
post #3 of 10
It depends on her college and how they handle it, check here for more info https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Default.aspx

They may even offer a steep discount on windows at the book store, once again she is going to have to ask.

If none of that is available you can grab Win 8 for $40 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_DIS_ShopHP_FPP_Light
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAslanX View Post

It depends on her college and how they handle it, check here for more info https://www.dreamspark.com/Student/Default.aspx

They may even offer a steep discount on windows at the book store, once again she is going to have to ask.

If none of that is available you can grab Win 8 for $40 http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_DIS_ShopHP_FPP_Light


The Windows 8 you linked is an upgrade, hence the reason it's so cheap. Unless he already has one of the listed operating systems for the requirements of that upgrade (Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview. If your PC is running Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview) he is going to need to buy it full.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Thanks, i'll see if she qualifies for dreamspark. Ty for the replies.
Obelisk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 720BE @3.2Ghz Gigabyte US2H EvGa 450 GTS GSkill 1066 3GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160 GB Cav Lite-on DVD Burner Windows Vista 32bit SP2 21' Sony Trinitron 85Hrz RR 
PowerCase
400W Corsair NZXT BETA Evo 
  hide details  
Reply
Obelisk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 720BE @3.2Ghz Gigabyte US2H EvGa 450 GTS GSkill 1066 3GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
160 GB Cav Lite-on DVD Burner Windows Vista 32bit SP2 21' Sony Trinitron 85Hrz RR 
PowerCase
400W Corsair NZXT BETA Evo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS14 View Post


The Windows 8 you linked is an upgrade, hence the reason it's so cheap. Unless he already has one of the listed operating systems for the requirements of that upgrade (Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview. If your PC is running Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview) he is going to need to buy it full.

 

 

False, I got a copy for 40$ without owning any other version of windows and it's working.

 

EDIT : Actually I got mine on release, maybe they changed it since them. I'm quite sure that what I purchased was an «upgrade» too and it worked anyway.

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterize View Post


False, I got a copy for 40$ without owning any other version of windows and it's working.

EDIT : Actually I got mine on release, maybe they changed it since them. I'm quite sure that what I purchased was an «upgrade» too and it worked anyway.


How/where did you manage to get it that cheap? headscratch.gif
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS14 View Post


How/where did you manage to get it that cheap? headscratch.gif

 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/buy?ocid=GA8_O_WOL_DIS_ShopHP_FPP_Light

 

Here, actually. I know that it's stated to be an «upgrade» but i'm quite sure that I dont own windows 7 / vista / xp etc.

post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS14 View Post

The Windows 8 you linked is an upgrade, hence the reason it's so cheap. Unless he already has one of the listed operating systems for the requirements of that upgrade (Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview. If your PC is running Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows 8 Release Preview) he is going to need to buy it full.

You can do a full fresh install with the upgrade copy. Just have to rearam the activation and it works perfect.
post #10 of 10
Business/volume licensing?

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/how-volume-licensing-works.aspx
Bandaids
(15 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsHard DriveOptical Drive
Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 GTX 580 WD 10EALX ASUS DRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Havik 140 Windows 7 Ultimate ASUS VH228T Toshiba 32RV600A 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Compaq S2021a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Aero Cool Strike X 1100w Asus Antec 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Mionix Ensis 320 Creative 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Bandaids
(15 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsHard DriveOptical Drive
Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 GTX 580 WD 10EALX ASUS DRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Havik 140 Windows 7 Ultimate ASUS VH228T Toshiba 32RV600A 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Compaq S2021a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Aero Cool Strike X 1100w Asus Antec 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Mionix Ensis 320 Creative 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Cheaper alternative to buying windows?