Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Comparing Heatsink
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Comparing Heatsink

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
This my sound crazy but, I'm tired of watching video on youtube that tell me air cooling is better than water cooling. I have been told by several builders who are my buddies that air cooling is better than a system like the corsair h100i. Please help me figure it out.

Compare two coolers: Corsair H100i (Water) Vs. COOLER MASTER V6 GT

Or what is the best air cooling available??? What is the water cooling unit that does not include making my own loop???

My System Is

-CPU FX8350 I only want this to be cooled as my graphics cards has an extreme cooler on it.


Thanks
Edited by jrccomputer - 1/14/13 at 3:29pm
RED Death
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula-Z XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW Lite-On 124B Swiftech H220 Windows 8 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG EB2442T-BN Logitech K800 Cougar CMX 1000 NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseAudio
Mamba 2012 Elite OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
RED Death
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula-Z XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW Lite-On 124B Swiftech H220 Windows 8 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG EB2442T-BN Logitech K800 Cougar CMX 1000 NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseAudio
Mamba 2012 Elite OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 11
H100 isn't the best Cpu Cooler around but it isn't bad, and it's surely not bad enough to warrant dropping it for another non custom loop or air cooler. Try push and pull if you're dissapointed.
 
Rebeccas Dator
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Asus P8P67 Pro  6950 DCII G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 330 Seagate Barracuda WD Green OCZ Vertex 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H212 W7 21.5 Sidewinder x4/Lenovo with Trackpoint 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 900w Define r2 MX518 Qpad 1.5mm 
Audio
Edifier R1900TII 2.0 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Sapphire 5770 DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500gb DVD H212 windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Benq 21.5 inch X4 chieftec 650w Define mini 
Mouse
mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Rebeccas Dator
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Asus P8P67 Pro  6950 DCII G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 330 Seagate Barracuda WD Green OCZ Vertex 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H212 W7 21.5 Sidewinder x4/Lenovo with Trackpoint 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 900w Define r2 MX518 Qpad 1.5mm 
Audio
Edifier R1900TII 2.0 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Sapphire 5770 DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500gb DVD H212 windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Benq 21.5 inch X4 chieftec 650w Define mini 
Mouse
mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzzbutt View Post

H100 isn't the best Cpu Cooler around but it isn't bad, and it's surely not bad enough to warrant dropping it for another non custom loop or air cooler. Try push and pull if you're dissapointed.

So you would go with the H100i???
RED Death
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula-Z XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW Lite-On 124B Swiftech H220 Windows 8 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG EB2442T-BN Logitech K800 Cougar CMX 1000 NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseAudio
Mamba 2012 Elite OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
RED Death
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula-Z XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW Lite-On 124B Swiftech H220 Windows 8 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG EB2442T-BN Logitech K800 Cougar CMX 1000 NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseAudio
Mamba 2012 Elite OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=34&lng=en

no on the corsair liquid cooler you will have nothing but troubles.
click on the link i posted and go with air cooling.
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
If I already had the corsair cooler i would stick with it, If i were to buy something new i would go with the poster aboves choice.
And no you will not have "nothing but troubles"
 
Rebeccas Dator
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Asus P8P67 Pro  6950 DCII G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 330 Seagate Barracuda WD Green OCZ Vertex 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H212 W7 21.5 Sidewinder x4/Lenovo with Trackpoint 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 900w Define r2 MX518 Qpad 1.5mm 
Audio
Edifier R1900TII 2.0 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Sapphire 5770 DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500gb DVD H212 windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Benq 21.5 inch X4 chieftec 650w Define mini 
Mouse
mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Rebeccas Dator
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 2500K Asus P8P67 Pro  6950 DCII G.skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Intel 330 Seagate Barracuda WD Green OCZ Vertex 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H212 W7 21.5 Sidewinder x4/Lenovo with Trackpoint 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 900w Define r2 MX518 Qpad 1.5mm 
Audio
Edifier R1900TII 2.0 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
II X4 965 Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H Sapphire 5770 DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x 500gb DVD H212 windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
3x Benq 21.5 inch X4 chieftec 650w Define mini 
Mouse
mx518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
There are many coolers as good as NH-D14 and some better. A lot depends on where you are located on our big blue marble. If in America right now the best available for the money is DeepCool Assassin for $39.95
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33412

It's a Alpenfohn K2 in Europe and costs $88

Other twins to consider are
Phanteks PH-TC14PE*
Silver Arrow SB-E*
Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme**
Siilverstone HE01
Dark Rock Pro
*better than NH-D14
** better than SA SB-E and TC-14PEwor

And I won't even start on single towers as good or almost as good as twins
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

There are many coolers as good as NH-D14 and some better. A lot depends on where you are located on our big blue marble. If in America right now the best available for the money is DeepCool Assassin for $39.95
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33412

It's a Alpenfohn K2 in Europe and costs $88

Other twins to consider are
Phanteks PH-TC14PE*
Silver Arrow SB-E*
Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme**
Siilverstone HE01
Dark Rock Pro
*better than NH-D14
** better than SA SB-E and TC-14PEwor

And I won't even start on single towers as good or almost as good as twins

You saying the Deep Cool ASSASSIN 8-Heatpipe, 200 Watt CPU Cooler would beat Cooler Master V6 GT???
RED Death
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula-Z XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW Lite-On 124B Swiftech H220 Windows 8 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG EB2442T-BN Logitech K800 Cougar CMX 1000 NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseAudio
Mamba 2012 Elite OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
RED Death
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula-Z XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW Lite-On 124B Swiftech H220 Windows 8 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG EB2442T-BN Logitech K800 Cougar CMX 1000 NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseAudio
Mamba 2012 Elite OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Yes, by a significant margin. Assassin cools about same as NH-D14.. and NH-D14 is way better than V6..

NH-D14 = 53c @ 1300rpm, 55c @ 1100rpm, 56c @ 900rpm
CM V6 . =. 58c @ 2200rpm, 69c @ 1100rpm
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/cooler_master_v6/index6.php

NH-D14 = 52.25 @ 100%
K2 . . = . .54.75c @ 100%
Remember Assassin is aka K2
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/alpenfoehn_k2_cpu_cooler_review,14.html

So K2 is 2.25c warmer than NH-D14 which is 5c cooler than V6 @ 2200rpm, but 16c cooler than V6 @ 1100rpm.. End result at reasonable noise level (1100rpm) K2 (Assassin) is 13.75c cooler.

Put 2x 140mm fans on K2 and it's even better. A mate put TY-140 fans on his K2 and got 5c better cooling. No other changes. That would make it 18.75c cooler than V6. TY-140 series fans also come in black/white color and the TY-143 is 2500RPM version and would probably increase cooling by another 3-5c.. TY-143 fans on Silver Arrow SB-E are 7c cooler than stock TY-141 & TY-151 stock fans.

Silver Arrow SB-E has TY-141 & TY-151
Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme has TY-143 fans
http://www.thermalright.de/CPU+Kuehler/Intel+LGA1155%252F1156/Thermalright/artikel/Thermalright+Silver+Arrow+SB-E+Extreme.html

Sound bites of some top cooler idle and full speed
http://www.hardwaremax.net/reviews/kuehler/420-test-thermalright-silver-arrow-sb-e.html?start=5

Here TY-147 is £5.99
TY-141, TY-143 and TY-147 are available on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/TY-147-ball-bearing-noise-emission/dp/B00A4QB4SW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358271712&sr=1-1&keywords=Thermalright+ty-147

http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-TY-143-High-speed-bearing/dp/B009QGHQ1K

http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-TY-141-bearing-noise-emission/dp/B00767HPYO/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358271848&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=Thermalrigth+ty-140
Edited by doyll - 1/15/13 at 9:46am
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

Yes, by a significant margin. Assassin cools about same as NH-D14.. and NH-D14 is way better than V6..

NH-D14 = 53c @ 1300rpm, 55c @ 1100rpm, 56c @ 900rpm
CM V6 . =. 58c @ 2200rpm, 69c @ 1100rpm
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/cooler_master_v6/index6.php

NH-D14 = 52.25 @ 100%
K2 . . = . .54.75c @ 100%
Remember Assassin is aka K2
http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/alpenfoehn_k2_cpu_cooler_review,14.html

So K2 is 2.25c warmer than NH-D14 which is 5c cooler than V6 @ 2200rpm, but 16c cooler than V6 @ 1100rpm.. End result at reasonable noise level (1100rpm) K2 (Assassin) is 13.75c cooler.

Put 2x 140mm fans on K2 and it's even better. A mate put TY-140 fans on his K2 and got 5c better cooling. No other changes. That would make it 18.75c cooler than V6. TY-140 series fans also come in black/white color and the TY-143 is 2500RPM version and would probably increase cooling by another 3-5c.. TY-143 fans on Silver Arrow SB-E are 7c cooler than stock TY-141 & TY-151 stock fans.

Silver Arrow SB-E has TY-141 & TY-151
Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme has TY-143 fans
http://www.thermalright.de/CPU+Kuehler/Intel+LGA1155%252F1156/Thermalright/artikel/Thermalright+Silver+Arrow+SB-E+Extreme.html

Sound bites of some top cooler idle and full speed
http://www.hardwaremax.net/reviews/kuehler/420-test-thermalright-silver-arrow-sb-e.html?start=5

Here TY-147 is £5.99
TY-141, TY-143 and TY-147 are available on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/TY-147-ball-bearing-noise-emission/dp/B00A4QB4SW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358271712&sr=1-1&keywords=Thermalright+ty-147

http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-TY-143-High-speed-bearing/dp/B009QGHQ1K

http://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-TY-141-bearing-noise-emission/dp/B00767HPYO/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358271848&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=Thermalrigth+ty-140

Ok. But, are any of those better than the Corsair H100i??? And would they as quiet??
RED Death
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula-Z XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW Lite-On 124B Swiftech H220 Windows 8 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG EB2442T-BN Logitech K800 Cougar CMX 1000 NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseAudio
Mamba 2012 Elite OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
RED Death
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair Formula-Z XFX Double D FX-787A-CDBC G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW Lite-On 124B Swiftech H220 Windows 8 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG EB2442T-BN Logitech K800 Cougar CMX 1000 NZXT Phantom 410 
MouseAudio
Mamba 2012 Elite OnBoard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 11
Is H100i better than H100???

Is is 7c better than H100???

Because Silver Arrow SB-E Extreme is 7c better than H100 and just as loud. I've given you lots of data and site to study. Time for you to use your own brain cells and not mine. I know you can do it. thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Comparing Heatsink