Overclock.net banner

Good RAM for OCing?

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  oneluvballer21 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Dunno what type of chips its using but IMO, I wouldn't buy it just because its Ultra.

#5 ·
I beleive those ultras have BH5 and selected CH5 chips, said so on ddr ram list. I've heard little about them, being a ddr2 guy, but that should point in the right direction when you google the types...

EDIT: that is for the extreme versions...

#6 ·
Well thats actually the ram i have in my rig currently. But its 512x2 sticks, not a single 1 gb stick. it does 255mhz stable... havent pushed any further... Its pretty good for a value ram... but thats about it. TCCD and BH-5, (if you have high voltage output on your mobo, ~34-3.6vram) Is the best overclocking DDR. Though nowadays its very expensive

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1 View Post
Well thats actually the ram i have in my rig currently. But its 512x2 sticks, not a single 1 gb stick. it does 255mhz stable... havent pushed any further... Its pretty good for a value ram... but thats about it. TCCD and BH-5, (if you have high voltage output on your mobo, ~34-3.6vram) Is the best overclocking DDR. Though nowadays its very expensive

2x512MB????waaaa

#8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbzhnsr1 View Post
I beleive those ultras have BH5 and selected CH5 chips, said so on ddr ram list. I've heard little about them, being a ddr2 guy, but that should point in the right direction when you google the types...

EDIT: that is for the extreme versions...
Dude i can assure you they are not BH-5! And why would yo tell him to get D9? Thats DDR2, not DDR.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FearSC549 View Post
2x512MB????waaaa
Ya, 2x512mb

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6829&CatId=147

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1 View Post
Dude i can assure you they are not BH-5! And why would yo tell him to get D9? Thats DDR2, not DDR.

Ya, 2x512mb

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...6829&CatId=147
Check his link. It states BH5 for ultra edition, thus the edit on the bottom of my post. Check ddr ram list under google, and the last option is ultra extreme ddr pc3200, and states bh5 or selected ch5.

As for the d9, I had yet to check his specs or his link, I had commented on the legitimacy of d9 chips. Get off your horse and read the posts.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcbzhnsr1 View Post
Check his link. It states BH5 for ultra edition, thus the edit on the bottom of my post. Check ddr ram list under google, and the last option is ultra extreme ddr pc3200, and states bh5 or selected ch5.

As for the d9, I had yet to check his specs or his link, I had commented on the legitimacy of d9 chips. Get off your horse and read the posts.
I did, and he linked Ultra's value ram. Not their ultra editions... so when you said they were BH-5's, you were incorrect.

#12 ·
I'm so tired of you post jockeys. Take no offense pbasil, but why do you insist on being correct and then shoving it about? I tried helping someone who requested good ram. And it's not Ultra's ultra edition, it's their extreme edition. And as you can see, I edited that post at the bottom a while ago. Thank you for correcting me pbasil, will you hold my hand now?
Notice I said check this link, never posted the link, but also claimed that the site stated... Get over it.

#14 ·
Last night it stated 499. You kids are absolutely ridiculous. I'm done even trying to help. Tell you what Fearsc, get two sticks of string cheese and try those out, I hear they get up to great speeds.

#15 ·
To dig this thread up and answer the question, I have four 1gb sticks of Ultra RAM, product code ULT31664, and they all came with Hynix D43 chips (HY5DU12822CTP-D43) on brainpower PCB (BP MLL E186014). If you are running an intel system, this is a VERY good buy!! I would say with certainty that for 1gb sticks, this is about the best deal out there, as this PCB has allowed massive OCs with TCCD ICs, and the D43 ICs have likewise been known to reach above 280MHz, albeit in 512mb modules. Now I bought mine about a year ago, so who knows if they are still using the same "ingredients", but there's only one way to find out. But I'll give a forewarning that these do not come with heat spreaders, so you may wish to make such an investment at the same time you order the RAM. Or, if you are running a liquid cooling system, and you so choose to do this, since they don't come with heat spreaders installed they are a good option to use liquid cooling blocks on. I'll report back later with some overclock results as soon as I get some other kinks worked out in the rig. I've read a lot about D43 ICs being overclocked very well in 512mb modules, but have yet to see anything when it comes to the 1gb modules. Anyway, stop reading this and go buy the damn sticks! But search around first, because Ultra has been running lots of different deals on this RAM for a while now, just trying to get its foot in the door with the overclocking community.

#16 ·
I will update and add that I saw a review of the ULT31664 sticks and they had different ICs that didn't OC very well, albeit on brainpower PCB. So I can no longer recommend buying these, as I'm now going to jump to the conclusion that Ultra bought a bunch of the D43 ICs when they were cheaper and before they had a nice reputation, and now Ultra has resorted to cheaper ICs. Buy at your own risk. I, on the other hand, will enjoy being one of the few to buy their sticks at a cheap price, not knowing exactly what I would get, but getting a nice deal in the end. I'll report back later with overclocks, just so other 1gb D43 module users can have an idea of what they can do, but it'll be alittoe while until I can get around to that... there are other things further up on my computer to-do list.

#17 ·
I just asked a seller on eBay about his ULT31664 stick he is selling, and he basically reported its a Micron -5B F on brainpower PCB, although he didn't know how to interpret the information himself (and probably wouldn't know what it meant anyway). That auction in particular still has a day plus left on it, but its only one stick. But the main point being that Ultra has also used the 5B F ICs which can get up to 300MHz with 3-3-3-x timings. If I had the extra cash I would buy that stick just in hopes of finding another one to match it later (no one has bid on it and the auction is sitting at $80 + $7 shipping, which will likely be its final price).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.