Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Building my first computer. Any help or ideas?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Building my first computer. Any help or ideas?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
Hey everyone, this is my first ever computer build so I decided to look to the forms for some input on my components, and any tips I may need to know. So far this is what I have for the build, price is not an obstacle, so fastest is better. I am aiming for a price point around 3,000-4,000 as a limit.

Main Components:

Case: CM Storm Stryker

Motherboard:Asus Rampage IV Extreme

Processor: i7-3970x Extreme Edition

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon 7970 OC 3GB

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz

Power Supply: Corsair HX 1050

SSD: Crucial M4 256GB

HDD: Seagate ST2000DM001 Barracuda 7200RPM 2 TB SATA 6 GB/s

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit


Water Cooling Loop:

CPU Water Block: EK Supreme hf - Nickel Plexi, OR, Copper Plexi?

Pump: Swiftech MCP655

Radiator: Black Ice GT Stealth 240 - Does the x - flow version make a difference?

Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES Micro Revision 2 Reservoir OR EK Bay spin reservoir?

Tubing: Red Tubing G1/4 I think for ID - Any suggestions?

Fittings: Compression Fittings - G1/4 ID I think.

Thanks in advance for your Help! thumb.gifsmile.gif
post #2 of 21
3930k and more GPUs...lol.

Also, not a super computer.
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 21
Came in here expecting something legendary, now I am disappointed. Thanks OP frown.gif
5820k
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820k ASUS x99 Sabertooth Zotac 980Ti AMP! 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Samsun SM951 Corsair H100i CentOS Windows 10 Pro KVM 
CaseMouseAudio
CM Storm Stryker Corsair SABRE Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
5820k
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5820k ASUS x99 Sabertooth Zotac 980Ti AMP! 2 x G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB DDR4 2400 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Samsun SM951 Corsair H100i CentOS Windows 10 Pro KVM 
CaseMouseAudio
CM Storm Stryker Corsair SABRE Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 21
If you really want to go all out, then I've got a few suggestions:
- add a few more GPUs
- more SSD space (at least 512gb) and RAID those bad boys
- put the HDD in something like a RAID 1 or 5
- get 3 2560x1440 monitors for eyefinity
- drop down to a 3930k (the 3970x is not worth the price difference)

And for your loop, why not water cool the GPUs? I am assuming you aren't because you didn't list any GPU blocks. If you end up doing that, get a better radiator with more surface area. The X-Flow radiators aren't as good because they only make a single pass rather than two. Everything else in your loop looks good though thumb.gif
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouGotJaked View Post

If you really want to go all out, then I've got a few suggestions:
- add a few more GPUs
- more SSD space (at least 512gb) and RAID those bad boys
- put the HDD in something like a RAID 1 or 5
- get 3 2560x1440 monitors for eyefinity
- drop down to a 3930k (the 3970x is not worth the price difference)

And for your loop, why not water cool the GPUs? I am assuming you aren't because you didn't list any GPU blocks. If you end up doing that, get a better radiator with more surface area. The X-Flow radiators aren't as good because they only make a single pass rather than two. Everything else in your loop looks good though thumb.gif

Wow, thanks for the input, the plan for the graphics cards is to eventually get more and water cool them, but I just want to get the machine up and running. But will definitely happen in the future!
Thanks again for your input!
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblakeman9 View Post

Wow, thanks for the input, the plan for the graphics cards is to eventually get more and water cool them, but I just want to get the machine up and running. But will definitely happen in the future!
Thanks again for your input!
No problem and good luck with the build! biggrin.gif
post #7 of 21
If you really want to go all out... wink.gif

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($138.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($480.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($480.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($312.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Gun Metal) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.84 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $4343.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 03:52 EST-0500)
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayFrosty View Post

If you really want to go all out... wink.gif

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($138.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($480.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($480.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($312.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Gun Metal) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.84 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $4343.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 03:52 EST-0500)

This is a MONSTER but way too much Storage. With the money save i would a good mechanical keyboard and a 2560x1440 monitor, which is more important since you can add a SSD any time and the keyboard will be used more then a empty SSD just sitting there
post #9 of 21
You can never have too much of anything. wink.gif
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayFrosty View Post

If you really want to go all out... wink.gif

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme EATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($138.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($480.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($480.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital WD Black 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($312.48 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card (3-Way SLI) ($529.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (Gun Metal) ATX Full Tower Case ($179.84 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($214.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $4343.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 03:52 EST-0500)

I like this computer idea, I will definitely downgrade to the 3930k. It seems to be a much better buy then the 3970x. But on the video card, what is better? the Radeon 7970 or the GTX 680?

Also, when you said to get multiple drives, did you mean to put them into a RAID setup?
Edited by theblakeman9 - 1/16/13 at 6:51am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Processor Discussions
Overclock.net › Forums › General Hardware › General Processor Discussions › Building my first computer. Any help or ideas?