Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Asus HD7950 having issues with certain games
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus HD7950 having issues with certain games

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
Hello people,

I just got myself a new build with the following specs:
+ i5-3750K
+ Asus M8Z77-M
+ 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance LP
+ XFX Pro 550W
+ Asus HD7950 (DC2T)
+ Crucial M4 128 GB
+ Seagate 2GB SATA600 7200RPM
+ some other parts

These are components in a new Win 8 64b build. Everything is installed as-is, no overclocks yet, accept for the Asus card GPU of course, which
comes clocked to 900Mhz in stead of 800Mhz. The Asus mobo was recently flashed to the latest BIOS (version 1806) and so are both drives.

The problem I run into, occurs with a few specific games tested by myself. This occurs with Catalyst 12.10 drivers installed and Catalyst 12.11 beta drivers installed. I did both these driver installs on a clean Win 8 64b install.

Now the problem itself:
Saints row the third; launcher turns into a white/grey square, nothing happens. When using the approach per this topic, I can launch the game, but after the AMD video it crashes to desktop.

Supreme commander: whenever exiting the game or alt-tabbing, the entire desktop turns white/grey. The taskbar is visible, but unclickable. I can open task manager, but it opens behind the grey surface, and my mouse dissappears when I mouse over the grey surface, so killing the game is impossible (the game icon doesn't dissappear from the taskbar).

I've ran OCCT and Prime95 benchmarks (GPU/CPU), Something strange happens when running OCCT, the 12V rail runs on a constant 7ish Volts. I've googled a bit and this seems to be an CPUID problem. My system shouldn't even be running when the 12V rail delivers a mere 7V...

Strange thing is, that other games, like Portal 2, Sniper Elite V2, Empire: Total war and a few other games run like a charm.

I would really like to now what the problem is.... It doesnt seem GPU related because I've also tested this setup (the first day I got it) with a Gigabyte HD7950 WF3, which kinda had the same problems. This card was returned and swapped for the Asus. The entire system has been re-installed (clean install) to prevent any strange driver issues for the Asus HD7950.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
Edited by erikz - 1/15/13 at 11:50pm
post #2 of 22
Windows 8 problem with AMD cards / drivers I believe. Try putting Windows 7 on and see then.
post #3 of 22
13.1 drivers should be out soon, and the beta's shortly after. Give it a week. I too am a 7950 / Win8 user, playing the waiting game.
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by S333N View Post

13.1 drivers should be out soon, and the beta's shortly after. Give it a week. I too am a 7950 / Win8 user, playing the waiting game.
Are you having the same problems then? If not, it might be some hardware incompatibility - which is strange, als my mobo and HD 7950 are both Asuses.
post #5 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikz View Post

Are you having the same problems then? If not, it might be some hardware incompatibility - which is strange, als my mobo and HD 7950 are both Asuses.

Sadly I don't have either of those games. I do have random issues in BF3/Far Cry 3/Dota2 because of the drivers. Windows 8 driver isn't as polished as we would like, but I believe the driver coming out real soon is going to help us out.

I own the GB Windforce3 7950, and ASUS P9X79 Deluxe mobo.
post #6 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by S333N View Post

Sadly I don't have either of those games. I do have random issues in BF3/Far Cry 3/Dota2 because of the drivers. Windows 8 driver isn't as polished as we would like, but I believe the driver coming out real soon is going to help us out.

I own the GB Windforce3 7950, and ASUS P9X79 Deluxe mobo.
I'll wait before getting windows 7 then.

I just did a 12hr memtest run and 0 errors were returned. Seems my RAM being faulty is out of the question.

When I booted my computer and ran into the lock screen, everything was good @1920x1080p. I had some breakfast and then returned, finding my monitor in sleep mode, I moved my mouse and found my lock screen back @ a square resolution of about 800x800p?

Getting really frustrated here...
post #7 of 22
Try installing the drivers again (not fresh, just on top), and download: http://www.radeonpro.info

Play around in that program while waiting for newer drivers. That sleep issue is strange. Does your event viewer have any abnormal Errors/Warnings around the time the machine sleeps & awakes?
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by S333N View Post

Try installing the drivers again (not fresh, just on top), and download: http://www.radeonpro.info

Play around in that program while waiting for newer drivers. That sleep issue is strange. Does your event viewer have any abnormal Errors/Warnings around the time the machine sleeps & awakes?
Thanks for the tip.

Ill get back on my event viewer when I'm back from work (in 8 hours or so). I hope the 13.1 drivers fix some stuff, they should be out today, but probably wont...
post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 
I found the following error, but it seems windows update related?

(It's in Dutch, sorry)

Fout 17-1-2013 07:24:51 WindowsUpdateClient 20 Windows Update-agent
Fout 17-1-2013 07:12:24 Service Control Manager 7023 Geen


Seems they arent video related?
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikz View Post

I found the following error, but it seems windows update related?

(It's in Dutch, sorry)

Fout 17-1-2013 07:24:51 WindowsUpdateClient 20 Windows Update-agent
Fout 17-1-2013 07:12:24 Service Control Manager 7023 Geen


Seems they arent video related?

Sound pretty generic. Lets give the new drivers a try: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=373737
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Asus HD7950 having issues with certain games