Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software ›  AMD Catalyst 13.1 (9.012.0 December 19) AMD Official WHQL
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Catalyst 13.1 (9.012.0 December 19) AMD Official WHQL - Page 15

post #141 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

just played Red Faction DX9 mode and i did not experience flickering just like DX11. both are smooth. i am using 13.1.

Nice? I don't own that game.
post #142 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post

Everytime I run the uninstaller my monitors go black and I am blind. Happens everytime and have to shut down system and reboot. Anyone else experience this?
Perhaps an eyefinity issue?

Yes! I also have this exact same problem! It's not an eyefinity issue exclusively because I have a single card 7970. The screen goes black like it should when the uninstall process reaches the video driver but the desktop never reappears for the remainder of the uninstall. I've noticed the fan on the video card audibly speeds up at the same moment as the monitor goes dark. The only way to see the desktop again is to restart blind which is a problem because I can't be sure the uninstall actually completed. My monitor is connected via a dual-link displayport and I've also tried a displayport-to-HDMI adapter but no luck, the screen remains dark.

This black screen only started recently for me - I've been uninstalling catalyst drivers for this card just fine until the last two or three versions. I thought the black screen was being caused by corrupt drivers after too many installs and uninstalls but I did a clean install of 64-bit Windows 7 and the 12.11 betas a couple weeks ago. Yesterday was the first uninstall since then and I still had the black screen problem (and I uninstalled with both the new standalone utility and AMD Catalyst Install Manager). I'm not sure it's a driver issue exclusively, I found a thread after some internet searching where someone said a BIOS update solved the problem for him and I do think I upgraded the BIOS on my Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 to version 3603 right around the time the problem started. Still, can AMD please investigate? It's incredibly frustrating.
Edited by ddarko - 1/19/13 at 9:21am
post #143 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

just played Red Faction DX9 mode and i did not experience flickering just like DX11. both are smooth. i am using 13.1.

I own that game. That game doesn't flicker. BTW playing 1 or 2 hours doesn't mean anything. Some game might flicker once in 20 hours some will flicker more frequently.
For some people it might be no big deal, for me it is. A GPU is there to render graphics if it doesn't do that "right" it's just not okay. For example how would you like a sound card which does a nasty sound ever 20-30 Songs?
Some Games show issues and some don't but the ones whith issues are mostly DX9. UT2004 doesn't flicker although it is DX9 for example.

As i told you, if you are interessted: try hedgewars. Play some games (around 2-3 full games) on the map Island and keep your eyes on the screen for that time and see if smth odd happens.I think that game is great for testing because it's free and it should happen every 2-3 games (best seen on the map "island").. although it's a 2d OpenGL game it looks simelar to the DX9 flickering. Keep in mind it's a 7000 Series issue and it doesn't seem to happen on 6000.


@liftthesky
Could you describe your issues with CS:GO? Im not perfectly sure if that game really is flickering or if it is just the game itself. Here it seems like it is only "flicker" at the end of the game or at the "killcam" when it zooms to the guy who shot you. Im not sure but i don't seem to have seen a ingame-flicker in 20 hours of playtime yet. TF2 also doesn't seem to flicker for me *knocking on wood*.
Edited by Stuttergame - 1/19/13 at 10:57am
post #144 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thracks View Post

The same options are now present in the "texture filtering" section. Catalyst AI wasn't really the right name for these options, and we finally had the opportunity in the code to get rid of that legacy name.

That's interesting but thing is before in 12.10 when the texture quality setting in the AI menu was increased from performance to quality in Borderlands 2 gpu scaling in Trifire went from 66 percent to like 90+ percent! Doesn't do it anymore with 13.1 though I still need to investigate why..

Thanks
post #145 of 216
Thracks:
I'm not sure if you will get this in time (with the huge # of posts) but is there a chance you can (kindly) explain to us what exactly is the cause of the DX9 flicker? Since it does NOT seem to affect DX10/11 at all, it almost has to be some sort of hardware issue. But it ALSO does NOT seem to affect DX8 OR DX9A/B titles either...just DX 9.0C. Is this some sort of hardware fault related to the GPU that handles DX9C separately from DX8 or DX9A/B?

I'm sure someone by your work area could at least explain it for us, and if this is something that can only be fixed in the 8000 series, then so be it...but at least throw us a bone?

BTW, someone mentioned over at guru3d that this might have something to do with Vertex shaders and RGB (there's a 4th letter, not sure which) formats and incorrect values being calculated for one frame. Another poster said that these artifacts are *exactly* what the much older video cards did when the GPU or (usually) the DDR Ram was overclocked too high. But as we already know, setting the cards as low as 250/500 does not help.

Is there any chance this could be a timing issue? like CAS or whatever latency values the video RAM Takes...wrong timings could theoretically show an issue like this. But I haven't heard of DDR Vram being timing tweakable since the X800/X1900 days...

And why wouldn't DX10/11 be affected if it WAS a timing issue?
SB Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD5 B3 R9 290X 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 2 TB, WD 1 TB, 250gb Liteon ihbs212 blu-ray burner/reader XP+W7 Benq XL2720Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 69/Year of the Goat/Shine 5 Seasonic Platinum X1000 Corsair 760T Logitech G502 with r0ach approved ™ sensor 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
SB Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD5 B3 R9 290X 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 2 TB, WD 1 TB, 250gb Liteon ihbs212 blu-ray burner/reader XP+W7 Benq XL2720Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 69/Year of the Goat/Shine 5 Seasonic Platinum X1000 Corsair 760T Logitech G502 with r0ach approved ™ sensor 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #146 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post

I'm sure someone by your work area could at least explain it for us, and if this is something that can only be fixed in the 8000 series, then so be it...but at least throw us a bone?

i first thought that this could be hardware related. But i think then the 8000 series wouldn't be just a rebrand. So it should be fixable.
post #147 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddarko View Post

Yes! I also have this exact same problem! It's not an eyefinity issue exclusively because I have a single card 7970. The screen goes black like it should when the uninstall process reaches the video driver but the desktop never reappears for the remainder of the uninstall. I've noticed the fan on the video card audibly speeds up at the same moment as the monitor goes dark. The only way to see the desktop again is to restart blind which is a problem because I can't be sure the uninstall actually completed. My monitor is connected via a dual-link displayport and I've also tried a displayport-to-HDMI adapter but no luck, the screen remains dark.

This black screen only started recently for me - I've been uninstalling catalyst drivers for this card just fine until the last two or three versions. I thought the black screen was being caused by corrupt drivers after too many installs and uninstalls but I did a clean install of 64-bit Windows 7 and the 12.11 betas a couple weeks ago. Yesterday was the first uninstall since then and I still had the black screen problem (and I uninstalled with both the new standalone utility and AMD Catalyst Install Manager). I'm not sure it's a driver issue exclusively, I found a thread after some internet searching where someone said a BIOS update solved the problem for him and I do think I upgraded the BIOS on my Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 to version 3603 right around the time the problem started. Still, can AMD please investigate? It's incredibly frustrating.

At least I'm not the only one. Also Eyefinity has nothing to do with number of cards but how many monitors there are. This system its happening on is an x58 and nothing to do with bios versions. Wish AMD would investigate this one. Major annoyance!

PS: Whats this flickering issue you guys are getting? Someone want to post a youtube video? FWIW I also get crazy flickering in half the games I play and only fix is to enable vsync. My feeling is that its a monitor DVI - DP timing issue...

Thanks
Edited by davidm71 - 1/19/13 at 1:11pm
post #148 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttergame View Post

I own that game. That game doesn't flicker. BTW playing 1 or 2 hours doesn't mean anything. Some game might flicker once in 20 hours some will flicker more frequently.
For some people it might be no big deal, for me it is. A GPU is there to render graphics if it doesn't do that "right" it's just not okay. For example how would you like a sound card which does a nasty sound ever 20-30 Songs?
Some Games show issues and some don't but the ones whith issues are mostly DX9. UT2004 doesn't flicker although it is DX9 for example.

As i told you, if you are interessted: try hedgewars. Play some games (around 2-3 full games) on the map Island and keep your eyes on the screen for that time and see if smth odd happens.I think that game is great for testing because it's free and it should happen every 2-3 games (best seen on the map "island").. although it's a 2d OpenGL game it looks simelar to the DX9 flickering. Keep in mind it's a 7000 Series issue and it doesn't seem to happen on 6000.


@liftthesky
Could you describe your issues with CS:GO? Im not perfectly sure if that game really is flickering or if it is just the game itself. Here it seems like it is only "flicker" at the end of the game or at the "killcam" when it zooms to the guy who shot you. Im not sure but i don't seem to have seen a ingame-flicker in 20 hours of playtime yet. TF2 also doesn't seem to flicker for me *knocking on wood*.


mainly notice it where different things overlay. like the radar/minimap area and other parts of the hud/sometimes text. but usually it's by the radar. it's a small flicker/white/or black
post #149 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post

Thracks:
I'm not sure if you will get this in time (with the huge # of posts) but is there a chance you can (kindly) explain to us what exactly is the cause of the DX9 flicker? Since it does NOT seem to affect DX10/11 at all, it almost has to be some sort of hardware issue. But it ALSO does NOT seem to affect DX8 OR DX9A/B titles either...just DX 9.0C. Is this some sort of hardware fault related to the GPU that handles DX9C separately from DX8 or DX9A/B?

I'm sure someone by your work area could at least explain it for us, and if this is something that can only be fixed in the 8000 series, then so be it...but at least throw us a bone?

BTW, someone mentioned over at guru3d that this might have something to do with Vertex shaders and RGB (there's a 4th letter, not sure which) formats and incorrect values being calculated for one frame. Another poster said that these artifacts are *exactly* what the much older video cards did when the GPU or (usually) the DDR Ram was overclocked too high. But as we already know, setting the cards as low as 250/500 does not help.

Is there any chance this could be a timing issue? like CAS or whatever latency values the video RAM Takes...wrong timings could theoretically show an issue like this. But I haven't heard of DDR Vram being timing tweakable since the X800/X1900 days...

And why wouldn't DX10/11 be affected if it WAS a timing issue?

It is not restricted to dx9. Far Cry 3 and Crysis 1 & 2 (not the best example but the texture flashing is there) exhibit texture flashing. Borderlands 2 as well.
Steins Gate
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700 ASUS X370 CH6 Gigabyte R9 290 2x8GB Trident Z @ 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
960 Evo 850 Evo WD Blue 1TB Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2730Z G413 EVGA 750w G2 CM MC5 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G703 SS Qck Onboard Logitech Z906 
Audio
HD518 
  hide details  
Reply
Steins Gate
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
R7 1700 ASUS X370 CH6 Gigabyte R9 290 2x8GB Trident Z @ 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
960 Evo 850 Evo WD Blue 1TB Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2730Z G413 EVGA 750w G2 CM MC5 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
G703 SS Qck Onboard Logitech Z906 
Audio
HD518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #150 of 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftthesky View Post

mainly notice it where different things overlay. like the radar/minimap area and other parts of the hud/sometimes text. but usually it's by the radar. it's a small flicker/white/or black

uhm didn't notice it there yet. But i surely saw some flickering mostly after the game when the scores come up sometimes it seems like smth strange flickers up. Which GPU do you own?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv8000 View Post

It is not restricted to dx9. Far Cry 3 and Crysis 1 & 2 (not the best example but the texture flashing is there) exhibit texture flashing. Borderlands 2 as well.

All this games are DX9 except Far Cry 3 and there the issue seems not related to the typical dx9 flickering.
Edited by Stuttergame - 1/19/13 at 4:27pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software ›  AMD Catalyst 13.1 (9.012.0 December 19) AMD Official WHQL