Originally Posted by Thracks
My name is Robert Hallock (@thracks
). I am AMD's product marketing manager for enthusiast desktop graphics. My product portfolio is Eyefinity, CrossFire and any desktop GPU that's a 7750 or faster.
And yes, I'm a huge gamer.
At this point - My name is Miroslav Kocúr, I work as a small gear in big IT company you surely know. My job is to track down server problems, and propose solutions. My skills are also applicable to hardware and software diagnostics of any kind.
At this point I can only confirm that problem is software based, related to games made for DirectX 9.0c, while specifically related to completely new GCN architecture. The "Flickering" issue is caused by crappy game and DX code, which in pre-GCN drivers was fixed at driver level. Now with new architecture dx library needs new fixes...
To be correct, my technical statements towards GCN and flickering issues are based on game and driver testing under different settings, reading a lot of available documentation from position of observer. I dont use any diagnostic tools.
And yes, I am gamer too, owner of HD 7970 who wants to see his invested money to work fine
At this point:
DX9.0c flickering issue was observed in Skyrim, Civilization 4, Witcher 2 EE and World of Tanks.
Was NOT observed in:
DeusEx: Human Revolution (DX 11), Assassins Creed 1 (DX10), TES: Morrowind (DX8), TES: Oblivion (DX9.0b).
- Different AMD card which is using non-GCN does not have this problem
- Different drivers cause different behaviour of the issue
- Different frequencies does not change behaviour of the issue
These three things combined, with fact that issue was observed only in DX9.0c games points at driver and directX.
Flickering issues which may appear in DX10 or DX11 looks completely different. They usually copy some surfaces = such as road, or floor. DX9 flickering is specific that it looks like a black or white flicker across multiple fields on screen.
Currently there are those problems which I have sucesfully identified:
- Black flickering - looks like a problem with alpha blending. Strongly supressed in newer drivers, but still present. Related to DX9.0c
- White flickering - may contain corrupted textures. Less ocurrence as the black flickering, not fixed yet. Related to DX9.0c
- Z-Fighting issue - may be present in DX10 and later games as flickering floor and surfaces. Can reproduce in Skyrim and World of tanks.
- Windows GUI corruption on refresh rate higher than 60Hz. (cannot reproduce)
- Catalyst window goes black when clicking on video setting
- Textures which are becoming transparent may blink or flash - reproducable in World of Tanks on "Batte start". Previously present in Witcher 2 on "buff" icons.
Edit: And here are HW issues that have been identified
- HD 79x0 may whine when displaying extremely high FPS (more than 1000). Reproducable in Witcher 2 on initial animation, or with 3dmark 2003. Workaround = Vsync
- Image corruption on multimonitor settings - related to Display port to HDMI adapters.
- System lockups, with buzzing sound - minor incompatibility with some mainboards. AFAIK solved with new BIOS for those mainboards.
All the tests I do are on my default configuration which tries to be close to mainstream users.
When I say "Default configuration" it means
Single Gigabyte HD 7970oc with latest bios with factory overclocking to 1000Mhz
Single Samsung PX2370 @ 1920x1080p 60Hz connected via DVI-D
CCC on factory defaults with those exceptions:
Triple buffering ON
Power setting +20 percentEdited by Offler - 1/24/13 at 12:26am