Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › This is going to be my first water cooled rig, can you help me please ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

This is going to be my first water cooled rig, can you help me please ? - Page 3

post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLapiu View Post

Is this your first time water cooling or your first time building a pc?

Water cooling does not really require any tools. The screws for the rads/fans are already included iwith the rads you are buying.
Some prefer to buy a tube cutter because the tubes need to be cut perfectly straight, but you can do the same with a really sharp blade.

Actually, that's incorrect regarding screws and tools. While it is true that all rads come with screws, they typically do NOT have enough screws for mounting all fans in a push/pull configuration if you want that. Usually, they have enough for one set of fans only. Also, be sure to note the size of the screws included or find out. If you put the wrong size through a hole without a fan, like a 30mm, it will damage your radiator. Every design is different and will depend on your case, how your rads mount in the case, etc. Be sure to pay close attention when mounting the rads to your case. Screw sizes range from 5mm-35mm depending upon application needed. Once you know the specific screw sizes for your rads, a hardware store like Lowes and such may have them.

While at the hardware store, you will want a tool to cut through screws, that way if you don't have the right length in stock, say an M3 0.5 thread 30mm but you need 6mm, just cut them down to size. Also, as others said, a tube cutter, anything good for cutting cable or plastic pipes. You want to make sure it is strong and sharp enough to make a CLEAN cut. Most of the time screws are just stainless steel, so a good can of spray paint will let you match screws to any color you want for the build.

There are other items too, but I'm sure you get the idea. Best of luck in your build.
post #22 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLapiu View Post

For rad fans, the most popular, with the best noise to static pressure ratio is the Gentle Typhoon fans. AP-14 and AP-15 being the most popular ones.

They are good, but I would also highly recommend Noiseblocker Black SilentPro model PL-2 for the rads. If the rads are smaller in size or not as thick as the high end models, then go with something higher like the PL-3 or "e loop" models at 2000 RPM. I use the Noiseblockers and love them.
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLapiu View Post

You are good to go in my book.

Some ppl are scared of EK because their nickel plating used to peel off. But if you are going with bare copper without nickel plating, then EK is not a problem in my book.

Yes, EK use to have issues, but all their newer items seem to have solved those issues. I have EK blocks on my CPUs and GPU with no problems, but they are the most recent models (i.e. "full nickel" and GTX FTW+ water blocks). I would recommend EK too, no trouble so far.
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTekJeff View Post

If you put the wrong size through a hole without a fan, like a 30mm, it will damage your radiator.

The Alphacool full copper rads come with screw protectors so you wont damage your fins or tubes with too long a screw.
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLapiu View Post

The Alphacool full copper rads come with screw protectors so you wont damage your fins or tubes with too long a screw.

Actually, that's not correct and there is no mention I can find about any sort of "screw protectors". Yes, I see the photos on frozencpu and others where you can see the thread holes for the screws. These so called "screw protectors" you can see in the photos too. That is not the case however as they are only there for mounting guide. You can indeed screw farther than intended going through this mount. In fact, the design of this Alphacool rad is almost the same as the EK XT/XTX models as you can tell. Same with Black Ice SR-1 rads and their screw threads.

Bottom line is you do have to be real careful and the screws that come with the rads may or may not be the right size for mounting in your case. Like I said, it all depends on your case type, location of mount, etc. That's why you need small to large screws to be safe or cut them.
post #26 of 31
Thread Starter 
I was checking rad details and you are right they do come with screws and they also mention size of them on the package so i can replace them with different ones if i want to cheers smile.gif

About EK issue. I don't know.. Aquacomputer's block also looks nice but it has a different color so i can't decide what to pick here. There is no doubt i wouldnt like to experience those EK plating issues smile.gif
post #27 of 31
Personally, I dont like to mix metals in the same loop if I dont have to. So to me, nickel plating and silver coil are out of the question. Copper only. Thought copper will tarnish over time, you can paint it. You can even paint it with copper metallic paint and that wont tarnish. Or any other color you please. Just paint the parts that are visible, dont paint the part of it that makes contact with your cpu or gpu. Acetal too can be easily painted.
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTekJeff View Post

Actually, that's not correct and there is no mention I can find about any sort of "screw protectors". Yes, I see the photos on frozencpu and others where you can see the thread holes for the screws. These so called "screw protectors" you can see in the photos too. That is not the case however as they are only there for mounting guide. You can indeed screw farther than intended going through this mount. In fact, the design of this Alphacool rad is almost the same as the EK XT/XTX models as you can tell. Same with Black Ice SR-1 rads and their screw threads.

Bottom line is you do have to be real careful and the screws that come with the rads may or may not be the right size for mounting in your case. Like I said, it all depends on your case type, location of mount, etc. That's why you need small to large screws to be safe or cut them.
I own 6 Alphacool radiators and let me assure you you can not damage the fins or tubes with the screws. Look to Martin's site for more details.
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
Dark Vader
(6 items)
 
  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
39 X AP-45 2150 rpm Gentle Typhoon fans Lamptron CW611 FrozenQ Dual Bay Reservoir 2x XT45 480. 1x UT60 480 ~ 1x UT60 360 ~ 1x UT... 
OSCase
Linux Ubuntu CaseLabs STH10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLapiu View Post

I own 6 Alphacool radiators and let me assure you you can not damage the fins or tubes with the screws. Look to Martin's site for more details.

You certainly can still damage rad fins. If you have a screw that is too long you will push the back plate against the fins at an angle and can potentially cut into the tube with enough pressure. It is harder to cause damage, but still check your screw depths carefully!
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkdead View Post

You certainly can still damage rad fins. If you have a screw that is too long you will push the back plate against the fins at an angle and can potentially cut into the tube with enough pressure. It is harder to cause damage, but still check your screw depths carefully!

You are precisely correct and what I have been trying to convey all along. All of those brands are good rads, but you have to know the screw sizing and adjust to where and how you are mounting them, with or without fans, etc. As I point out, look at the pictures and you can see no difference in how these mount with the screw mount holes on those brands. As you said, you can push them through the rad and must check the depths often and carefully.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › This is going to be my first water cooled rig, can you help me please ?