Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Install win7 from External HDD, Check...install windows updates offline?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Install win7 from External HDD, Check...install windows updates offline?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
So basically im at a lose i dont know why maybe to many games and brain is fried from war gaming today...
But
I have a 500 GB external hard drive.
I have a All In One windows 7 disk

I would like to create a partition on the external disk for the windows 7 AIO disk and make that partition bootable so i can boot it for fresh install

Do i create a partition under admin tools disk manager
Format to NTFS about 5 GB
then just drag and drop the windows 7 AIO disk files to that partition/??
Or what im lost now

Any help i know this sounds stupid but im ya trying to find a guide and i did it before just dont remember how i did it....

I just need that portion to be bootable for windows seven so my brother can install it on his computer along side windows while over seas..(he is currently using NP6110 sager) so he wants windows 7 really bad cuz windows 8 is pissing him off

EDIT: Thanks to feltadox133 for the use google its your friend help biggrin.gif
IT worked in my favor to do what i needed now he will have all windows versions of win7 so he can pick one and go with it on his machine..


NOW its time to figure how to install all updates off line so he can be up to date there and such

On the larger portion will have his new music movies new games to install and other programs he needs for what he wants to do....
Edited by odin2free - 1/24/13 at 1:42am
LIttle Banshee
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4700MQ W230ST/NP7330 GTX 765m HyperX Black Impact 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Evo Win7 Chi Mei Innolux 13" IPS 
Mouse Pad
G440 
  hide details  
Reply
LIttle Banshee
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4700MQ W230ST/NP7330 GTX 765m HyperX Black Impact 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Evo Win7 Chi Mei Innolux 13" IPS 
Mouse Pad
G440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
From what I understood, you want to be able to boot from and install windows 7 from this partition right?

If so, I google'd this Install Windows 7 from USB Guide. Went through it, and its legit.

Just follow the above steps, use the 5GB partition on your external HDD as the selected disk for the guide, and you should be good to go.
Red Fireball
(13 items)
 
Asus G55
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS Maximus Formula HD4890 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Titanium PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB(7200.12)+ 2 x 1TB(7200.12) LG Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Dell E228WFP 22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-15 Corsair 650TX Lian Li V2000 Painted Black Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
fUNC Industries Surface 1030 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveHard Drive
i7 3630QM Nvidia GTX660M 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 500GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 1080P Matte  
  hide details  
Reply
Red Fireball
(13 items)
 
Asus G55
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS Maximus Formula HD4890 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Titanium PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB(7200.12)+ 2 x 1TB(7200.12) LG Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Dell E228WFP 22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-15 Corsair 650TX Lian Li V2000 Painted Black Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
fUNC Industries Surface 1030 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveHard Drive
i7 3630QM Nvidia GTX660M 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 500GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 1080P Matte  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by feltadox1337 View Post

From what I understood, you want to be able to boot from and install windows 7 from this partition right?

If so, I google'd this Install Windows 7 from USB Guide. Went through it, and its legit.

Just follow the above steps, use the 5GB partition on your external HDD as the selected disk for the guide, and you should be good to go.

^ What he said.
post #4 of 7
Thread Starter 
Ok
did it and boom worked
now time to fill up the main partition with tons of goodies for my brother and then yup give the drivers he needs and such

I am also looking at how to get every update i can for windows 7 on another iso file or something where he can update it with out having internet..

He does have internet just its so random when he is able to use it and its only good enough for emailing really

So is there some place that allows me to get all the windows 7 updates in one giant folder so he can just launch it offline and install that way?

EDIT:
http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/

would this be what im looking for so it can download all the updates outside of driver updates for windows base Operating system....
The drivers and software for his sager machine i have already downloaded so not worried about that part specially the graphics drivers are important for him...
Edited by odin2free - 1/24/13 at 2:12am
LIttle Banshee
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4700MQ W230ST/NP7330 GTX 765m HyperX Black Impact 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Evo Win7 Chi Mei Innolux 13" IPS 
Mouse Pad
G440 
  hide details  
Reply
LIttle Banshee
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4700MQ W230ST/NP7330 GTX 765m HyperX Black Impact 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Evo Win7 Chi Mei Innolux 13" IPS 
Mouse Pad
G440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin2free View Post

Ok
did it and boom worked
now time to fill up the main partition with tons of goodies for my brother and then yup give the drivers he needs and such

I am also looking at how to get every update i can for windows 7 on another iso file or something where he can update it with out having internet..

He does have internet just its so random when he is able to use it and its only good enough for emailing really

So is there some place that allows me to get all the windows 7 updates in one giant folder so he can just launch it offline and install that way?

EDIT:
http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/

would this be what im looking for so it can download all the updates outside of driver updates for windows base Operating system....
The drivers and software for his sager machine i have already downloaded so not worried about that part specially the graphics drivers are important for him...

Yup, that's the right tool.
Red Fireball
(13 items)
 
Asus G55
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS Maximus Formula HD4890 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Titanium PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB(7200.12)+ 2 x 1TB(7200.12) LG Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Dell E228WFP 22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-15 Corsair 650TX Lian Li V2000 Painted Black Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
fUNC Industries Surface 1030 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveHard Drive
i7 3630QM Nvidia GTX660M 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 500GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 1080P Matte  
  hide details  
Reply
Red Fireball
(13 items)
 
Asus G55
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS Maximus Formula HD4890 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Titanium PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB(7200.12)+ 2 x 1TB(7200.12) LG Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Dell E228WFP 22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-15 Corsair 650TX Lian Li V2000 Painted Black Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
fUNC Industries Surface 1030 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveHard Drive
i7 3630QM Nvidia GTX660M 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 500GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 1080P Matte  
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Awesome tested it out and yup works exactly the way i read on the site biggrin.gif
thanks guys
brother is going to be really happy about it all
now just have to finish filling the external drive with stuff and instructions on how to do it all
so he can print it off and have the guides handy biggrin.gif

Now time to figure a good way to have programs that are light weight and minimal on my second hard drive and my main programs on the ssd
Thanks seriously , This site just every morning going to the new section then to computer room pics thread and so forth keeps me happy and then huffington to follow up with politics which has no relation to what im doing at all ha
LIttle Banshee
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4700MQ W230ST/NP7330 GTX 765m HyperX Black Impact 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Evo Win7 Chi Mei Innolux 13" IPS 
Mouse Pad
G440 
  hide details  
Reply
LIttle Banshee
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4700MQ W230ST/NP7330 GTX 765m HyperX Black Impact 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Evo Samsung 850 Evo Win7 Chi Mei Innolux 13" IPS 
Mouse Pad
G440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin2free View Post

Awesome tested it out and yup works exactly the way i read on the site biggrin.gif
thanks guys
brother is going to be really happy about it all
now just have to finish filling the external drive with stuff and instructions on how to do it all
so he can print it off and have the guides handy biggrin.gif

Now time to figure a good way to have programs that are light weight and minimal on my second hard drive and my main programs on the ssd
Thanks seriously , This site just every morning going to the new section then to computer room pics thread and so forth keeps me happy and then huffington to follow up with politics which has no relation to what im doing at all ha

Glad it all worked out. Good luck to your brother! And good on you for being a good brother thumb.gif
Red Fireball
(13 items)
 
Asus G55
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS Maximus Formula HD4890 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Titanium PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB(7200.12)+ 2 x 1TB(7200.12) LG Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Dell E228WFP 22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-15 Corsair 650TX Lian Li V2000 Painted Black Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
fUNC Industries Surface 1030 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveHard Drive
i7 3630QM Nvidia GTX660M 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 500GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 1080P Matte  
  hide details  
Reply
Red Fireball
(13 items)
 
Asus G55
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400 ASUS Maximus Formula HD4890 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Titanium PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2TB(7200.12)+ 2 x 1TB(7200.12) LG Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit Dell E228WFP 22" LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G-15 Corsair 650TX Lian Li V2000 Painted Black Logitech G9x 
Mouse Pad
fUNC Industries Surface 1030 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveHard Drive
i7 3630QM Nvidia GTX660M 128GB Samsung 840 Pro 500GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows 8 1080P Matte  
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › Install win7 from External HDD, Check...install windows updates offline?