Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › advanced window tutorial?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

advanced window tutorial?

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
sup guys, so basically I was looking for a sort of a tutorial on how to make these kind of windows:


this is from XNines Project 12 build, as you can see he took out the mesh and replace it with plexi and it's just like the OG window on top... don't know the proper eglish word for it... well it's worked in or tilted in, i don't know, hope you know what I'm talking about here

I know he used this MNPCTECH ruler to get it like that...


now I do not know how to do this, even with the ruler BUT preferably I'd like to know how I can to the same thing without the ruler smile.gif

hope someone can clear this up for me or link me to some info smile.gif
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Venom View Post

sup guys, so basically I was looking for a sort of a tutorial on how to make these kind of windows:


this is from XNines Project 12 build, as you can see he took out the mesh and replace it with plexi and it's just like the OG window on top... don't know the proper eglish word for it... well it's worked in or tilted in, i don't know, hope you know what I'm talking about here

I know he used this MNPCTECH ruler to get it like that...


now I do not know how to do this, even with the ruler BUT preferably I'd like to know how I can to the same thing without the ruler smile.gif

hope someone can clear this up for me or link me to some info smile.gif


Not sure where the ruler comes into this myself, making a pattern that fits perfectly and then transferring that to the acryilic and cutting it perfectly is what counts.

The key here is to look carefully at the pic with the acrylic installed and notice the thin lip behind the perimeter of the acrylic with the tiny slots in it that originally had the "tabs" of mesh that bent over to secure the mesh thru them.

This kind of a look is only going to work if you have that little lip to work with.

Using thin, 1/16" (1.5mm) acrylic, cut exactly to the size of the major perimeter of hole, and some double sided tape strips, like 3M 4010 VHB series, the acrylic is attached to the thin inner perimeter lip that used to support the mesh.

A little carefull sanding around the perimeter of the outside surface of the acrylic, to effect the beveled look, can make it appear just like the top factory window, especially, if you were to polish it. Although I don't see a bevel attempt here, just enough sanding to break any sharp edges, it might make a slightly more factory lookalike.

Jason has done a super job of getting the acrylic cut just perfectly to fit the cutouts in the side panel.

It's an excellently executed mod from the pics.


Darlene

This is the tabs that hold the mesh in place and you can see the lip I spoke of.





Here's with the mesh removed and it's easy to see the lip you have to adhere the acrylic to. If you remove the fan mount tabs carefully, you'd never be able to tell from the outside that they were ever there, and the lip remains in tact.



Edited by IT Diva - 1/24/13 at 4:57pm
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Diva View Post

The key here is to look carefully at the pic with the acrylic installed and notice the thin lip behind the perimeter of the acrylic with the tiny slots in it that originally had the "tabs" of mesh that bent over to secure the mesh thru them.

This kind of a look is only going to work if you have that little lip to work with.

Using thin, 1/16" (1.5mm) acrylic, cut exactly to the size of the major perimeter of hole, and some double sided tape strips, like 3M 4010 VHB series, the acrylic is attached to the thin inner perimeter lip that used to support the mesh.

A little carefull sanding around the perimeter of the outside surface of the acrylic, to effect the beveled look, can make it appear just like the top factory window, especially, if you were to polish it. Although I don't see a bevel attempt here, just enough sanding to break any sharp edges, it might make a slightly more factory lookalike.

Jason has done a super job of getting the acrylic cut just perfectly to fit the cutouts in the side panel.

It's an excellently executed mod from the pics.


Darlene

wow, ok thanks, I didn't even think about it like that doh.gif

...somehow though he attached the acrylic from the inside and used some kind of tool to shape the area that would 'sink' into the window rolleyes.gif

but thanks again for the reply makes so :thumb:much more sense now
post #4 of 5
I didn't have the time to finish the acrylic, I outsourced it to DWood to cut for me. What I did was have him cut it so it fits ON TOP of the sidepanel.

Because there are metal lips there, the acrylic can go in those spots. I then used "Modder's Tape" that I bought a couple of years ago from MNPCTECH. Those clear areas like on the top window there the tabs are for the acrylic, well, the bottom ones have that same thing, only for mesh.

So, to keep it looking stock, I barely bridget hose tab slots with the modders tape, hence why it looks clean.
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

I didn't have the time to finish the acrylic, I outsourced it to DWood to cut for me. What I did was have him cut it so it fits ON TOP of the sidepanel.

Because there are metal lips there, the acrylic can go in those spots. I then used "Modder's Tape" that I bought a couple of years ago from MNPCTECH. Those clear areas like on the top window there the tabs are for the acrylic, well, the bottom ones have that same thing, only for mesh.

So, to keep it looking stock, I barely bridget hose tab slots with the modders tape, hence why it looks clean.

thanks for the reply wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › advanced window tutorial?