Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Home recording question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Home recording question

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hi folks.

I have been playing the guitar a lot lately and I've been thinking it would be cool to get into recording some music at home. The easiest way to do that of course is USB audio interfacing to my computer and recording that way. I know that sound card requirements can be pretty strenuous and at the moment the only computer I'm working with is my ASUS ROG g74sx desktop replacement. It has integrated sound and I guess what I'm wondering is, will that support some basic home recording and audio editing or is it worth investing in a basic desktop system to make that all happen? Are there external sound card options that would allow me to do this more effectively?

Thanks for any and all input. As a side note, there would be at max 2 inputs happening (hardware wise the interface I'm looking at will make that happen, I'm more curious about whether or not the integrated sound will support that kind of activity.)

smile.gif
ASUS G74sx
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Stock 
Hard DriveOSMouseAudio
Stock Microsoft Windows 7 Home Razer Deathadder 3500DPI Razer Carcharias 
Other
Razer Nostromo 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS G74sx
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Stock 
Hard DriveOSMouseAudio
Stock Microsoft Windows 7 Home Razer Deathadder 3500DPI Razer Carcharias 
Other
Razer Nostromo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
your laptop is more than enough. it's possible to do it with the onboard sound. but it's going to be basic only and you'll have no live effects. you need to spend a little money if you really want to record and get satisfied. do you have a budget for this setup?
A-600
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz (1.28v) ASUS P8Z77-V Palit GTX 770 Jetstream @ 1320/2000MHz 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB WDC Blue, 500GB Hitachi Lite-On iHAS124 Sony VRDVC20 Thermaltake Contac 29 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Windows XP Pro x86 BenQ GW2450, XL2420T Ducky Zero DK2108S Cherry MX Brown NZXT HALE82 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Six Hundred SE Logitech G400 V2 SteelSeries QcK Audio Gearz 
  hide details  
Reply
A-600
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz (1.28v) ASUS P8Z77-V Palit GTX 770 Jetstream @ 1320/2000MHz 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB WDC Blue, 500GB Hitachi Lite-On iHAS124 Sony VRDVC20 Thermaltake Contac 29 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Windows XP Pro x86 BenQ GW2450, XL2420T Ducky Zero DK2108S Cherry MX Brown NZXT HALE82 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Six Hundred SE Logitech G400 V2 SteelSeries QcK Audio Gearz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your response, Croy. At this point I have about 1000 dollars at my disposal right now, with more coming in shortly. I've really debated spending that money to build a dedicated desktop system (i5 atleast, but sacrificing gfx in favor of audio, etc.) the only problem is that a 1k system is hard to do when all the extras aren't needed, and since my laptop is all I have running right now, I am literally building from scratch. no peripherals, no OS, nada. So building from scratch doesn't get me where I'd like to be as fast as I'd like to be there, but at the same time the quality might be worth that wait. I'm totally open to building a rig as then I would hook it up to all my recording equipment, midi controller, studio monitors, etc. and really flesh the system out.
ASUS G74sx
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Stock 
Hard DriveOSMouseAudio
Stock Microsoft Windows 7 Home Razer Deathadder 3500DPI Razer Carcharias 
Other
Razer Nostromo 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS G74sx
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Stock 
Hard DriveOSMouseAudio
Stock Microsoft Windows 7 Home Razer Deathadder 3500DPI Razer Carcharias 
Other
Razer Nostromo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgan View Post

Thanks for your response, Croy. At this point I have about 1000 dollars at my disposal right now, with more coming in shortly. I've really debated spending that money to build a dedicated desktop system (i5 atleast, but sacrificing gfx in favor of audio, etc.) the only problem is that a 1k system is hard to do when all the extras aren't needed, and since my laptop is all I have running right now, I am literally building from scratch. no peripherals, no OS, nada. So building from scratch doesn't get me where I'd like to be as fast as I'd like to be there, but at the same time the quality might be worth that wait. I'm totally open to building a rig as then I would hook it up to all my recording equipment, midi controller, studio monitors, etc. and really flesh the system out.
sorry for the late reply. i fell asleep. how much budget are you willing to spend for the audio gears and how do you want this setup to be? is it just for playing and recording your guitar tracks?
A-600
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz (1.28v) ASUS P8Z77-V Palit GTX 770 Jetstream @ 1320/2000MHz 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB WDC Blue, 500GB Hitachi Lite-On iHAS124 Sony VRDVC20 Thermaltake Contac 29 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Windows XP Pro x86 BenQ GW2450, XL2420T Ducky Zero DK2108S Cherry MX Brown NZXT HALE82 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Six Hundred SE Logitech G400 V2 SteelSeries QcK Audio Gearz 
  hide details  
Reply
A-600
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz (1.28v) ASUS P8Z77-V Palit GTX 770 Jetstream @ 1320/2000MHz 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB WDC Blue, 500GB Hitachi Lite-On iHAS124 Sony VRDVC20 Thermaltake Contac 29 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Windows XP Pro x86 BenQ GW2450, XL2420T Ducky Zero DK2108S Cherry MX Brown NZXT HALE82 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Six Hundred SE Logitech G400 V2 SteelSeries QcK Audio Gearz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by croy View Post

sorry for the late reply. i fell asleep. how much budget are you willing to spend for the audio gears and how do you want this setup to be? is it just for playing and recording your guitar tracks?

Well, so far this is what I had in mind.

I'll be using Reaper as my DAW, and I've got my eye on a Presonus Audiobox USB, having used both of them before with friends and such. Reaper is cost effective for my purposes and like I said I've used it a touch before so I'm atleast moderately familiar with it. The Presonus seems to fit my needs well and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Two channels (for voice and guitar) and it has both MIDI in and out so I won't have to get a separate controller. Not to mention it's USB powered meaning I can take it with if I'm on the road without worrying about power.

As far as my computer goes, I have a couple options. I'm getting more and more tempted to build a dedicated system for all this. That just gives me so many more options in terms of what I'm capable of in the future. Not to mention I've never built a desktop before so doing a project for a project is appealing smile.gif A dedicated system gives me the option to expand both internal hardware and peripherals later which I really like smile.gif The only problem is I know systems with high-level AV in mind aren't cheap! Like I said before though, that system would literally be from the bottom up.

In terms of hardware. That particular interface and DAW will run me about 200. from there I would like to get a nice condenser, but I don't necessarily need an instrument mic - my guitar is an acoustic electric with its own limited eq and both 1/4 and XLR outputs. I had looked at http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-Audiobox-USB-Recording-Package-107617078-i1394696.gc as a package which has both the interface and a basic mic and monitor setup.

What are your thoughts so far? Keep in mind, 1000 is only what I have available, and I'm not opposed at all to building this rig over time. I'm not necessarily needing to go out and buy everything tomorrow. I was thinking maybe getting a rig set up first, and then going from there with the recording gear?
ASUS G74sx
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Stock 
Hard DriveOSMouseAudio
Stock Microsoft Windows 7 Home Razer Deathadder 3500DPI Razer Carcharias 
Other
Razer Nostromo 
  hide details  
Reply
ASUS G74sx
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2630QM G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Stock 
Hard DriveOSMouseAudio
Stock Microsoft Windows 7 Home Razer Deathadder 3500DPI Razer Carcharias 
Other
Razer Nostromo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgan View Post

Well, so far this is what I had in mind.

I'll be using Reaper as my DAW, and I've got my eye on a Presonus Audiobox USB, having used both of them before with friends and such. Reaper is cost effective for my purposes and like I said I've used it a touch before so I'm atleast moderately familiar with it. The Presonus seems to fit my needs well and I've heard nothing but good things about it. Two channels (for voice and guitar) and it has both MIDI in and out so I won't have to get a separate controller. Not to mention it's USB powered meaning I can take it with if I'm on the road without worrying about power.

As far as my computer goes, I have a couple options. I'm getting more and more tempted to build a dedicated system for all this. That just gives me so many more options in terms of what I'm capable of in the future. Not to mention I've never built a desktop before so doing a project for a project is appealing smile.gif A dedicated system gives me the option to expand both internal hardware and peripherals later which I really like smile.gif The only problem is I know systems with high-level AV in mind aren't cheap! Like I said before though, that system would literally be from the bottom up.

In terms of hardware. That particular interface and DAW will run me about 200. from there I would like to get a nice condenser, but I don't necessarily need an instrument mic - my guitar is an acoustic electric with its own limited eq and both 1/4 and XLR outputs. I had looked at http://www.guitarcenter.com/PreSonus-Audiobox-USB-Recording-Package-107617078-i1394696.gc as a package which has both the interface and a basic mic and monitor setup.

What are your thoughts so far? Keep in mind, 1000 is only what I have available, and I'm not opposed at all to building this rig over time. I'm not necessarily needing to go out and buy everything tomorrow. I was thinking maybe getting a rig set up first, and then going from there with the recording gear?
wow that package is a steal and good for the price. i've heard good things about the Presonus interfaces as well. they have good quality preamps. i'd say grab the audio package first since you can still use it on your current system. but it's still up to you. i also have that mic included in the promo and i love it. you might also wanna grab a guitar amplification software like Guitar Rig or Amplitube. i'm not sure if Reaper provides built-in fx for guitars on the fly. cause iirc they only have basic Filters, Dynamic Processors and Reverb.
A-600
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz (1.28v) ASUS P8Z77-V Palit GTX 770 Jetstream @ 1320/2000MHz 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB WDC Blue, 500GB Hitachi Lite-On iHAS124 Sony VRDVC20 Thermaltake Contac 29 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Windows XP Pro x86 BenQ GW2450, XL2420T Ducky Zero DK2108S Cherry MX Brown NZXT HALE82 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Six Hundred SE Logitech G400 V2 SteelSeries QcK Audio Gearz 
  hide details  
Reply
A-600
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.5GHz (1.28v) ASUS P8Z77-V Palit GTX 770 Jetstream @ 1320/2000MHz 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB WDC Blue, 500GB Hitachi Lite-On iHAS124 Sony VRDVC20 Thermaltake Contac 29 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Windows XP Pro x86 BenQ GW2450, XL2420T Ducky Zero DK2108S Cherry MX Brown NZXT HALE82 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec Six Hundred SE Logitech G400 V2 SteelSeries QcK Audio Gearz 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Home recording question