Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD FX-4170 ZAMBEZI OVERCLOCKING
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD FX-4170 ZAMBEZI OVERCLOCKING - Page 2

post #11 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclocker1 View Post

ComputerRestore guide after when step 3 is ready what are CPU/NB votage? CPU voltage? what i should use when starting rising CPU frequensy?

I'd recommend setting the CPU/NB voltage to 1.25v as it helps with stabilty.

The CPU voltage is the one you increase as you increase the CPU frequency.
Find out far you can overclock on the stock voltage. If the CPU starts to fail stress testing, then you can start to increase the CPU voltage a little bit.
post #12 of 59
Thread Starter 
1,25v is my stock CPU/NB voltage so i dint do nothing with that.Highest frequensy with stock voltage are 4600mhz it seems to be stable and highest frequensy what i can get is 4700mhz seem to be stable only with rising voltage 0,0250v but i cant go to 4800mhz even i rising CPU voltage 1,56v that isnt stable. I have deside to stay 4600mhz that is very close maximum 4700mhz what are not 100% sure stable with all use but 4600mhz is stable like stock CPU. CPU voltage i deside decrease little because 4600mhz with 1,4125v can running prime95 without fails but i want be sure that my CPU can get enought power what needs so i will give 1,4875v that is under maximum safe voltage 1,5v and i belive that is better voltage for 4600mhz than what i using before 1,5125v what is very high voltage for FX-4170 with 400mhz boost.Let see now how FX-4170 works with new settings 4600mhz 1,4875v but i belive this is fine. smile.gif
Gaming Computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4170 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 GTX-560 TI G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Samsung Alpenföhn Matterhorn Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP Steel Series Corsair Antec three hundred 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Ultimat Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4170 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 GTX-560 TI G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Samsung Alpenföhn Matterhorn Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP Steel Series Corsair Antec three hundred 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Ultimat Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRestore View Post

Here's the best way to start overclocking a PIledriver CPU (general guide)
From the BIOS
1: Load Optimal Defaults
2: Disabled Turbo, Disable Power Saving features, C'n'C, APM, C1e, C6, put LLC to 75% or Ultra High, set the CPU/NB Voltage to 1.25v, save settings and exit the BIOS
3: Back into the BIOS - find what your stock CPU voltage is with turbo disabled (it will be lower now)

I don't think Gigabyte has a Manual Mode for CPU or CPU/NB voltages. But if yours does, then manually set the voltage to whatever it is for the CPU.
Once you have all that set, then you should try and find your max overclock with the stock voltage. It will probably be around an extra 400-500Mhz.

I recommend to test with Prime95, because it will show you if an individual core fails stability. If that happens, then increase the CPU voltage a little.

Each time you increase the CPU Multiplier after you find your max overclock at stock voltages, just increase the cpu voltage by a couple notches and re-test.

If the computer BSOD's then it needs a couple more notches. If just a single core fails, then just increase one notch.

Good Luck

I didnt find from my bios C"n"C settings what is that C"n"C and is that important to be disable?
Gaming Computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4170 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 GTX-560 TI G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Samsung Alpenföhn Matterhorn Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP Steel Series Corsair Antec three hundred 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Ultimat Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4170 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 GTX-560 TI G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Samsung Alpenföhn Matterhorn Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP Steel Series Corsair Antec three hundred 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Ultimat Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 59
Thread Starter 
CPU voltage is set from bios to 1,4875v and tested with CPU-Z and that showing CPU voltage 1,536v what that mean? why CPU-Z showing higher voltage for CPU than what is set from bios?
Gaming Computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4170 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 GTX-560 TI G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Samsung Alpenföhn Matterhorn Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP Steel Series Corsair Antec three hundred 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Ultimat Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4170 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 GTX-560 TI G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Samsung Alpenföhn Matterhorn Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP Steel Series Corsair Antec three hundred 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Ultimat Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclocker1 View Post

I didnt find from my bios C"n"C settings what is that C"n"C and is that important to be disable?

C'n'C is Cool ' n ' Quiet

It's recommended that you disable it while looking for your highest stable overclock. Once you find your Overclock settings you can turn it back on. It will reduce your frequency and voltage at idle to save some power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclocker1 View Post

CPU voltage is set from bios to 1,4875v and tested with CPU-Z and that showing CPU voltage 1,536v what that mean? why CPU-Z showing higher voltage for CPU than what is set from bios?

Is it showing 1.536v with the CPU under load or at idle.

If it's under load, it could be that the LLC Function is increasing the voltage too much.
Edited by ComputerRestore - 1/28/13 at 6:42am
post #16 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRestore View Post

C'n'C is Cool ' n ' Quiet

It's recommended that you disable it while looking for your highest stable overclock. Once you find your Overclock settings you can turn it back on. It will reduce your frequency and voltage at idle to save some power.
Is it showing 1.536v with the CPU under load or at idle.

If it's under load, it could be that the LLC Function is increasing the voltage too much.

I disable now cool n quiet but nothing changes voltage and frequensy staying same. I decrease overvoltage for CPU it is now only 0,05v extra so idle voltage is 1,47v and max load 1,50v. LLC was reason why CPU voltage in bios was lower than CPU voltage in CPU-Z anyway i will keep LLC setting ultra high. Now everything overclock settings are like your guide except 0,05v overvoltage boost for CPU.
Gaming Computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4170 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 GTX-560 TI G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Samsung Alpenföhn Matterhorn Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP Steel Series Corsair Antec three hundred 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Ultimat Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4170 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 GTX-560 TI G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Samsung Alpenföhn Matterhorn Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP Steel Series Corsair Antec three hundred 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Ultimat Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclocker1 View Post

I disable now cool n quiet but nothing changes voltage and frequensy staying same. I decrease overvoltage for CPU it is now only 0,05v extra so idle voltage is 1,47v and max load 1,50v. LLC was reason why CPU voltage in bios was lower than CPU voltage in CPU-Z anyway i will keep LLC setting ultra high. Now everything overclock settings are like your guide except 0,05v overvoltage boost for CPU.

Well, your voltage still seems kind of high, but if you have your temps under control, and it passes some stability testing, it looks like you have a decent overclock. thumb.gif
post #18 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRestore View Post

Well, your voltage still seems kind of high, but if you have your temps under control, and it passes some stability testing, it looks like you have a decent overclock. thumb.gif

Computer works fine but with Prime95 CPU max temperature go to 64˚C showing by Core Temp is that much? air dont easily cooled 125w overclocked CPU like i have powerfull air cooler and powerfull case fans but i cant go far with overvoltage when overclocking temperature start rising fast. smile.gif
Gaming Computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4170 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 GTX-560 TI G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Samsung Alpenföhn Matterhorn Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP Steel Series Corsair Antec three hundred 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Ultimat Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-4170 Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 GTX-560 TI G.SKILL 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital Samsung Alpenföhn Matterhorn Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP Steel Series Corsair Antec three hundred 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Ultimat Integrated 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclocker1 View Post

Computer works fine but with Prime95 CPU max temperature go to 64˚C showing by Core Temp is that much? air dont easily cooled 125w overclocked CPU like i have powerfull air cooler and powerfull case fans but i cant go far with overvoltage when overclocking temperature start rising fast. smile.gif

That temp is a bit high for that Overclock. You should see if you can get that Overclock stable with less voltage. You probably wont see those kinds of temperatures in just gaming so it's fine if you can't lower the cpu voltage.
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerRestore View Post

That temp is a bit high for that Overclock. You should see if you can get that Overclock stable with less voltage. You probably wont see those kinds of temperatures in just gaming so it's fine if you can't lower the cpu voltage.

Is this chip not running massive vcore comps? I have an fx4170 in my wifes rig, Stock vid is 1.35 and its clocked@4.6 with stock volts. It will run stock round 1.2 something
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › AMD FX-4170 ZAMBEZI OVERCLOCKING