Let's speak in hypotheticals for a minute...lets say I got my computer as part of a barebones purchase which came preassembled with motherboard, processor, CD/DVD optical drive, and psu all wired up and ready to go inside of a case. Perhaps this was all purchased from (http://www.ascendtech.us/
) and I had trouble with them from the get-go, having to go so far as to submit a report to the BBB because they took so long to send the unit/didn't communicate why they were delayed.
Actual order: (Cost = $430.60) [http://www.ascendtech.us/amd-fx-eight-core-am3-custom-pc-builder_i_dtam3pluscstcnf.aspx
- FX-4100 CPU (~3.6GHz)
- Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 motherboard
- "Recommended upgrade: Heavy Duty Cooler"
- 500GB Serial ATA SATA 7200rpm HDD (note: they "upgraded the HDD to a WDC WD6400AAKS-22A7B0 ATA Device," with no notice until the unit shipped)
- Dual-fan high speed cooler for one drive (HDD)
- DVD RW optical drive
- Black ATX Midtower Case w/400W PSU
- Upgrade: 650W ATX PSU*
- High-speed case cooling fan 80mm
- Standard assembly 3-7 business days (ordered 12/29/11,they claimed shipped on 1/12/12, received unit ~1/17/2012; C.S. was terrible, no communication whatsoever, which is what forced the BBB complaint. I don't mind a delayed order if you communicate such, not too much to ask for.)
Then I bought RAM (1x4GB Pareema 1333), video card (AMD Radeon HD 6570 1GB), and OEM Windows 7 Home Premium OS from Newegg because I got a great deal and Newegg is awesome. (Total for these parts =$190; Grand total of $620, but also got Mail-in Rebate for video card that brings it to ~$600.)
Unfortunately, I was still partially ...ripped off (can't find a better word choice sorry). Where was I ...misled? The tower and the PSU. The tower is cheaply made with flimsy metal, but I was just excited to have it - the unit. I was tired of dealing with the company and their lack of communication and certainly didn't want to deal with sending the unit back at my expense because of aesthetics. The other part was the PSU, I spent an extra $60 or $70 to upgrade to the 650W PSU knowing that I would be making changes over time. Well, it turns out they went ultra-cheap on me. (http://chiefmax.com/page.php?name=powersupplies/v2-650
). I don't know if it's the exact one in the picture, but it is a ChiefMax 650W PSU.
Why did I buy from them? A 98.9% feedback rating on eBay. I didn't buy through eBay, I bought through their website directly instead. (eBay profile= http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=ascendtech&ftab=AllFeedback
Relevance: Could I have a bad PSU thwarting the progress of getting the RAM to work as it should? It has handled going from Pareema 4GB to 2x4GB 1333, and it still runs my G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 2x8GB, but only @1333. It also handled going from my AMD Radeon HD 6570 to my current AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB. Now I know that is not maxing out the required wattage, but my curiosity is if it is having an effect?Edited by General Mars - 1/27/13 at 3:12pm