Overclock.net › Forums › Volt Mods › General Volt Mods › Motherboard Volt Mods › Manual voltage setting not being met?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Manual voltage setting not being met?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
So this is my first post on here so sorry if I dont get it right the first time. I have a MSI Z68A-G45 (B3) Intel Z68 Motherboard and a i5-2500k with 24Gb of ram. My problem seems to be that when i go into the Bios and set my voltage manually because i want to run my CPU at 4.5 That even tho i set the CPU voltage to 1.35, it only goes to 1.225. Im not sure why this is, but maybe someone will be able to help me out?

Im running my CPU at 4.5Ghz right now however when i tried a stress test with Prime95 it lasted the 10 min i watched it but then i want to bed and when i woke up in the morning i had a very pretty color bule screen of text. So im assuming its because of the low voltage. but i could be wrong.

Anyone got any help?
post #2 of 15

What voltage does CPU-Z show when you're running Prime95?

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
CPU-Z shows 1.320-1.328 bounces back and forth.

However i do have Core Temp and it shows that its at 1.3661v but im not sure how accurate that is, I just use it for a way to monitor my temps.
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike59 View Post

So this is my first post on here so sorry if I dont get it right the first time. I have a MSI Z68A-G45 (B3) Intel Z68 Motherboard and a i5-2500k with 24Gb of ram. My problem seems to be that when i go into the Bios and set my voltage manually because i want to run my CPU at 4.5 That even tho i set the CPU voltage to 1.35, it only goes to 1.225. Im not sure why this is, but maybe someone will be able to help me out?

Im running my CPU at 4.5Ghz right now however when i tried a stress test with Prime95 it lasted the 10 min i watched it but then i want to bed and when i woke up in the morning i had a very pretty color bule screen of text. So im assuming its because of the low voltage. but i could be wrong.

Anyone got any help?

When you say it only goes to 1.225v .... is this in BIOS? In Windows? If Windows, I assume that's idle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike59 View Post

CPU-Z shows 1.320-1.328 bounces back and forth.

However i do have Core Temp and it shows that its at 1.3661v but im not sure how accurate that is, I just use it for a way to monitor my temps.

Sounds like vDroop; look it up
Edited by dmanstasiu - 1/29/13 at 2:57pm
Feed The Dada
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600k Asrock Z77e-itx MSI 7970 Samsung 30nm 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 250GB SSD H100 w/ 2x SP120 Antec Kuhler 920 w/ 1x SP120 Linux Ubuntu 10.10 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Seasonic X650 Bitfenix Prodigy E07K HFI-580 
  hide details  
Reply
Feed The Dada
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-2600k Asrock Z77e-itx MSI 7970 Samsung 30nm 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 250GB SSD H100 w/ 2x SP120 Antec Kuhler 920 w/ 1x SP120 Linux Ubuntu 10.10 
PowerCaseAudioAudio
Seasonic X650 Bitfenix Prodigy E07K HFI-580 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike59 View Post

CPU-Z shows 1.320-1.328 bounces back and forth.

 

The reason I asked is, this is the actual core voltage that is powering the CPU.  So, always go by what CPU-Z says when idling and under load.  The reason it's lower than the 1.35V setting is a combination of vDrop and vDroop.  VDrop results in the idle voltage, and vDroop results in the full load voltage.  Both are normal and are an intentional design.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike59 View Post

However i do have Core Temp and it shows that its at 1.3661v but im not sure how accurate that is, I just use it for a way to monitor my temps.

 

That's the VID and it's purely informational.  It is supposed to be the approximate voltage needed in order to keep the CPU stable at that multiplier.  Each multiplier has its own VID too.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
I have my VDroop set to Low
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike59 View Post

I have my VDroop set to Low

 

Oh, ok.  That's not bad.  I feel that there's no setting that's too low, so having it set to Low is fine as long as you're getting the full-load voltage you want.  To be honest, the only usefulness I see of this setting for vDroop control is to eliminate vDroop.  This can make it so that the idle voltage doesn't have to be quite as high in order to achieve the full-load voltage that you want.  Or if you're trying to calculate an Offset, then the math can be more straight forward if there's no vDroop.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
On my MOBO the only settings i have is auto and LowVdroop so i figured id just set it at low. But i guess Im trying to get it to be 100% stable at 4.5, I was able to run a stress test for 45 min without it crashing so im sure its mostly ok. But idk why it wont run at the 3.5 i set it at. Also 3.5 is the highest setting I can get on my mobo.. i think thtas kinda bad but idk. this whole thing has me puzzled because it also took meforever to get my Consar Vengance ram to run at the 1600mhz they where suppose to, Long story short i screwed up on my timeings and have 2 sticks running 9-9-9-24 and 2 running 10-10-10-27. for some reasons it would work now and then and then not at all so i flashed my bios and updated then re set everything to what i wanted and now im running it fine all the time. But im still unable to get this voltage thing worked out. I was going to try for 4.8 but im thinking that will be impossible.
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike59 View Post

On my MOBO the only settings i have is auto and LowVdroop so i figured id just set it at low. But i guess Im trying to get it to be 100% stable at 4.5, I was able to run a stress test for 45 min without it crashing so im sure its mostly ok.

 

45 minutes is almost as good as not doing a stress test at all.  12+ hours is always recommended.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike59 View Post

But idk why it wont run at the 3.5 i set it at.

 

This is due to a combination of vDrop and vDroop.  VDrop results in the idle voltage and it's normal.  VDroop results in the full load voltage, and this is normal too.  Both are intentional designs created by Intel.  So, this is the way it is.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike59 View Post

Also 3.5 is the highest setting I can get on my mobo.. i think thtas kinda bad but idk.

 

Wait.... seriously?  1.35V is the highest for the core voltage that you can set in the BIOS?  What happens if you try to set a higher voltage?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike59 View Post

this whole thing has me puzzled because it also took meforever to get my Consar Vengance ram to run at the 1600mhz they where suppose to, Long story short i screwed up on my timeings and have 2 sticks running 9-9-9-24 and 2 running 10-10-10-27. for some reasons it would work now and then and then not at all so i flashed my bios and updated then re set everything to what i wanted and now im running it fine all the time. But im still unable to get this voltage thing worked out. I was going to try for 4.8 but im thinking that will be impossible.

 

The reason they didn't run at 1600 MHz is due to the native support of the 2500K of DDR3-1066 and DDR3-1333.  So, it's up to the motherboard manufacturer to say what the default speed is if using any memory above DDR3-1333.  Some motherboards default it to DDR3-1600, others do what yours did.

 

Regarding the timings, I would recommend using Auto if that ever happens again.  After using Auto, then you can just re-enter the timings that you want.

It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 15
Thread Starter 
Haha yea, i know its kinda a sucky board. Built the whole comp on a super cheap budget. Just working with what i got, trying to get the best performance i can get out of it. Just dont understand why the Voltage isnt what i set it to.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Motherboard Volt Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Volt Mods › General Volt Mods › Motherboard Volt Mods › Manual voltage setting not being met?