Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Bottlenecking Graphics cards
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bottlenecking Graphics cards

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
What exactly does this mean? If your CPU is bottlenecking the graphics, that means the graphics isn't able to work at its full potential. If a CPU does bottleneck a GPU, then does the GPU perform poorly, or just not to its full potential? Now if you keep getting faster CPUs and they no longer bottleneck the card, you're still gonna get more performance, right? Say a card is bottlenecked by a CPU @ 2.0GHz but not at 2.3GHz. Anything above 2.3 is still a performance gain? And anything below is gonna make performance bad or just not as good as it can be?
post #2 of 6
means the GPU is working faster than the CPU. causeing the GPU to wait for work while the CPU catches up. speeding up the CPU will make the GPU wait less, and thus increasing performance on both areas
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T8100 Acer 7702-6604 8600M 512mb 4gb 667 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardMouse
64 SSDnow! + 320gb WDBEVT Windows 7 Home Premium S510 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
T8100 Acer 7702-6604 8600M 512mb 4gb 667 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardMouse
64 SSDnow! + 320gb WDBEVT Windows 7 Home Premium S510 G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner View Post
What exactly does this mean? If your CPU is bottlenecking the graphics, that means the graphics isn't able to work at its full potential. If a CPU does bottleneck a GPU, then does the GPU perform poorly, or just not to its full potential? Now if you keep getting faster CPUs and they no longer bottleneck the card, you're still gonna get more performance, right? Say a card is bottlenecked by a CPU @ 2.0GHz but not at 2.3GHz. Anything above 2.3 is still a performance gain? And anything below is gonna make performance bad or just not as good as it can be?
Yup and also depend what GPU,monitor.Example I have 2 7950GT and was a big bottleneck even @ 2.7.I remove 1 for my son system and now work a lot better.Now I have 2 system with 1 7950GT volt mod on each one.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6850 SLA,G0,@3.7 P5N32 SLi/680iSB=Jing ting/nb=spirit II[1203]bios] MSI 470 GTX[order on his way] 4 gig ocz Reapers pc 8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 WD 250gig 16mb/raid 0\1 WD640 AALS 32MB win xp pro sp3/Windows 7 Beta LCD,22"=Samsung 2MS,226BW,52"samsung LN5A550 Thermaltake xaser 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
oczgamexstream700 wtt x blade/modded Razor deathadder thermaltake gamer pad/led 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6850 SLA,G0,@3.7 P5N32 SLi/680iSB=Jing ting/nb=spirit II[1203]bios] MSI 470 GTX[order on his way] 4 gig ocz Reapers pc 8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 WD 250gig 16mb/raid 0\1 WD640 AALS 32MB win xp pro sp3/Windows 7 Beta LCD,22"=Samsung 2MS,226BW,52"samsung LN5A550 Thermaltake xaser 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
oczgamexstream700 wtt x blade/modded Razor deathadder thermaltake gamer pad/led 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisd View Post
Yup and also depend what GPU,monitor.
Monitor?? what does that have to do with anything? Unless you mean the resolution your running then that would be right...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D E6600 Week 28A Asus P5B Deluxe eVGA 8800GTX 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 250gb Seagate 7200.10 (RAID 0) + 250gb backup DVD-RW Window XP Acer AL2216W 22" WS LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Multimedia PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Lian Li PC-V1200B Plus II Modded Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
FUNC 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel C2D E6600 Week 28A Asus P5B Deluxe eVGA 8800GTX 2gb Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x 250gb Seagate 7200.10 (RAID 0) + 250gb backup DVD-RW Window XP Acer AL2216W 22" WS LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Multimedia PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Lian Li PC-V1200B Plus II Modded Logitech MX518 
Mouse Pad
FUNC 1030 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicfission92 View Post
Monitor?? what does that have to do with anything? Unless you mean the resolution your running then that would be right...
Yes resolution.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6850 SLA,G0,@3.7 P5N32 SLi/680iSB=Jing ting/nb=spirit II[1203]bios] MSI 470 GTX[order on his way] 4 gig ocz Reapers pc 8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 WD 250gig 16mb/raid 0\1 WD640 AALS 32MB win xp pro sp3/Windows 7 Beta LCD,22"=Samsung 2MS,226BW,52"samsung LN5A550 Thermaltake xaser 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
oczgamexstream700 wtt x blade/modded Razor deathadder thermaltake gamer pad/led 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6850 SLA,G0,@3.7 P5N32 SLi/680iSB=Jing ting/nb=spirit II[1203]bios] MSI 470 GTX[order on his way] 4 gig ocz Reapers pc 8500 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2 WD 250gig 16mb/raid 0\1 WD640 AALS 32MB win xp pro sp3/Windows 7 Beta LCD,22"=Samsung 2MS,226BW,52"samsung LN5A550 Thermaltake xaser 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
oczgamexstream700 wtt x blade/modded Razor deathadder thermaltake gamer pad/led 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexisd View Post
Yup and also depend what GPU,monitor.Example I have 2 7950GT and was a big bottleneck even @ 2.7.I remove 1 for my son system and now work a lot better.Now I have 2 system with 1 7950GT volt mod on each one.
Wait, yes to what? Do you mean that since your CPU is bottlenecking SLI 7950GTs, it would run better on one 7950GT by itself that is not bottlenecked?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Bottlenecking Graphics cards