Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Can i submerge fans into a dishwasher?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Can i submerge fans into a dishwasher? - Page 2

post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABuckeye View Post

Electronics and water don't mix. I'm not sure if this is a troll thread or a case of serious inexperience.

heatsink isn't electronic
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz Z77X UD3H GTX 780 Classified GTX 780 Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8gb Trident X 2400MHZ Samsung 840 PRO 128GB NH-D14 Windows 8 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
VG248QE QNIX QX2710 Ducky Shine 3 EVGA 1300W G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Mionix Avior Puretrak Talent RX 467V/Titanium HD 
Other
HE-400 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz Z77X UD3H GTX 780 Classified GTX 780 Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8gb Trident X 2400MHZ Samsung 840 PRO 128GB NH-D14 Windows 8 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
VG248QE QNIX QX2710 Ducky Shine 3 EVGA 1300W G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Mionix Avior Puretrak Talent RX 467V/Titanium HD 
Other
HE-400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 23
Yeah, I would personally advise against running anything in your computer through a dishwasher. Your dishwasher could potentially reach temps of 140-150 degrees fahrenheit. You also don't really know what impurities are in your tap water, and some of the heavier metals could create enough potential for electricity to travel from one point to another. So, I'm not saying you CAN'T run things like your mobo through a dishwasher, but I'd probably laugh at anyone who told me they did it in person.

As for the fans, once again, impurities in the water could collect inside of the fan creating resistance which could eventually cause your fans to burn up. You're also going to need to relubricate them, which means there is NO GAURANTEE that they are going to work again once your dishwasher has removed the oil.

Use isopropyl alchohol to clean your components. If you care about trying to salvage them without damaging them, don't use the dishwasher. I wouldnt even advise submerging them in water at all.

If you've created this thread just to argue with everyone who is trying to tell you not to do it, then why did you ask the question to begin with? You asking the question should tell you that you aren't confident enough in your own answer from the get go. I'm not saying your fans wont work anymore, but I can't promise you that they will if you toss them in your dishwasher. If you clean them up properly by either removing the fan blades from the housing and cleaning only the blades in such a fashion, or simply clean them using isopropyl, I'm confident that the fans should be operable barring any other damage you could potentially cause dismantling them without knowing what you're doing. Also, don't reapply lubricant liberally. The last thing you want is oil being flung all over everything in your nice clean case the moment you power it back on.

Edit: On second thought, if the OP insists on being right here, then to you I say go ahead and do it. I'd love to see a youtube post of the whole thing. To any inexperiened reading this whom sincerely came here looking for a good answer, DON'T PUT ANY COMPUTER COMPONENTS INTO THE DISHWASHER. Your dishwasher is for dishes, not motherboards and computer fans.
Edited by Arimis5226 - 1/30/13 at 7:36am
post #13 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimis5226 View Post

Yeah, I would personally advise against running anything in your computer through a dishwasher. Your dishwasher could potentially reach temps of 140-150 degrees fahrenheit. You also don't really know what impurities are in your tap water, and some of the heavier metals could create enough potential for electricity to travel from one point to another. So, I'm not saying you CAN'T run things like your mobo through a dishwasher, but I'd probably laugh at anyone who told me they did it in person.

As for the fans, once again, impurities in the water could collect inside of the fan creating resistance which could eventually cause your fans to burn up. You're also going to need to relubricate them, which means there is NO GAURANTEE that they are going to work again once your dishwasher has removed the oil.

Use isopropyl alchohol to clean your components. If you care about trying to salvage them without damaging them, don't use the dishwasher. I wouldnt even advise submerging them in water at all.

If you've created this thread just to argue with everyone who is trying to tell you not to do it, then why did you ask the question to begin with? You asking the question should tell you that you aren't confident enough in your own answer from the get go. I'm not saying your fans wont work anymore, but I can't promise you that they will if you toss them in your dishwasher. If you clean them up properly by either removing the fan blades from the housing and cleaning only the blades in such a fashion, or simply clean them using isopropyl, I'm confident that the fans should be operable barring any other damage you could potentially cause dismantling them without knowing what you're doing. Also, don't reapply lubricant liberally. The last thing you want is oil being flung all over everything in your nice clean case the moment you power it back on.

Edit: On second thought, if the OP insists on being right here, then to you I say go ahead and do it. I'd love to see a youtube post of the whole thing. To any inexperiened reading this whom sincerely came here looking for a good answer, DON'T PUT ANY COMPUTER COMPONENTS INTO THE DISHWASHER. Your dishwasher is for dishes, not motherboards and computer fans.

I decided not to do the fans, just the heatsink. lol i've done mobo in the sink though before though
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz Z77X UD3H GTX 780 Classified GTX 780 Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8gb Trident X 2400MHZ Samsung 840 PRO 128GB NH-D14 Windows 8 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
VG248QE QNIX QX2710 Ducky Shine 3 EVGA 1300W G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Mionix Avior Puretrak Talent RX 467V/Titanium HD 
Other
HE-400 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k @ 4.5ghz Z77X UD3H GTX 780 Classified GTX 780 Classified 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8gb Trident X 2400MHZ Samsung 840 PRO 128GB NH-D14 Windows 8 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
VG248QE QNIX QX2710 Ducky Shine 3 EVGA 1300W G2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair Carbide Air 540 Mionix Avior Puretrak Talent RX 467V/Titanium HD 
Other
HE-400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 23
you can.
anytime i fix a computer i strip everything down and toss it into the dishwasher to save time.. including the heatsinks.
more so when the computer comes to me and stinks of smoke.

i give fans about 3 days to dry.. but you'll want to strip down the fan from the body so that it can dry faster.
Ivy League
(10 items)
 
Kids PC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3770k Z77 MPower (MS-7751) AMD Radeon HD 7950 Samsung 830 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung LED 32" 4003 Logitech K750 
PowerMouse
Seasonic 520w Logitech G700S 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy League
(10 items)
 
Kids PC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3770k Z77 MPower (MS-7751) AMD Radeon HD 7950 Samsung 830 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung LED 32" 4003 Logitech K750 
PowerMouse
Seasonic 520w Logitech G700S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimis5226 View Post

You also don't really know what impurities are in your tap water, and some of the heavier metals could create enough potential for electricity to travel from one point to another.

you dont just magically get electric from impure water.
Ivy League
(10 items)
 
Kids PC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3770k Z77 MPower (MS-7751) AMD Radeon HD 7950 Samsung 830 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung LED 32" 4003 Logitech K750 
PowerMouse
Seasonic 520w Logitech G700S 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy League
(10 items)
 
Kids PC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3770k Z77 MPower (MS-7751) AMD Radeon HD 7950 Samsung 830 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung LED 32" 4003 Logitech K750 
PowerMouse
Seasonic 520w Logitech G700S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyriffic View Post

you dont just magically get electric from impure water.

No, what he's saying is deposits from metals in the water could bridge traces/resistors/etc on the board causing a short.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post

No, what he's saying is deposits from metals in the water could bridge traces/resistors/etc on the board causing a short.

oh, gotcha.
yeah if you run it threw the dishwasher you then have to go over the board with alcohol.
i have filtered water so this isn't an issue for me, however i still do it..

my typical cleaning goes
1.) compressed air
2.) dishwasher
3.) alcohol
4.) compressed air
5.) wait 3 - 7 days if it has to be rushed out the door.. otherwise just get to it w/e i can.

its important to remove the battery from the motherboard and make sure that all capacitors are discharged before introducing water to the system.
as for the dishwasher heat, that's not really an issue because lead free solder melts around 270c. dishwasher is around 65c, pretty low.
Ivy League
(10 items)
 
Kids PC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3770k Z77 MPower (MS-7751) AMD Radeon HD 7950 Samsung 830 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung LED 32" 4003 Logitech K750 
PowerMouse
Seasonic 520w Logitech G700S 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy League
(10 items)
 
Kids PC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
Intel Core i7-3770k Z77 MPower (MS-7751) AMD Radeon HD 7950 Samsung 830 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung LED 32" 4003 Logitech K750 
PowerMouse
Seasonic 520w Logitech G700S 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 23
Dont do it!!....
Black-n-Blue
(16 items)
 
Too the max
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX8530 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 NVIDIA GTS 250 NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT  
RAMRAMHard DriveCooling
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR... G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR... 2- OCZ Vertex 4  XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Extreme Universal CPU W... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 4-20" Hannspree's Steeleseries Merc Stealth 750W Ultra 
Case
Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2- Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Sandy Br... EVGA Classified SR-X 270-SE-W888-KR LGA 2011 In... 2 - EVGA 04G-P4-2690-KR GeForce GTX 690 4GB 512... G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 - Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F480GBGT-BK 2.... ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-... 2 - CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
PowerCase
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 120-PG-1500-X... Xigmatek Elysium Black CCC-HSA0DS-U01 All Black... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W... ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SAT...  2- SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-b... G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB S... XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Extreme Universal CPU W... CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-8... IN WIN 904 Black 2mm/4mm Aluminum Tempered Glas... 
  hide details  
Reply
Black-n-Blue
(16 items)
 
Too the max
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX8530 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 NVIDIA GTS 250 NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT  
RAMRAMHard DriveCooling
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR... G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR... 2- OCZ Vertex 4  XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Extreme Universal CPU W... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 4-20" Hannspree's Steeleseries Merc Stealth 750W Ultra 
Case
Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2- Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Sandy Br... EVGA Classified SR-X 270-SE-W888-KR LGA 2011 In... 2 - EVGA 04G-P4-2690-KR GeForce GTX 690 4GB 512... G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 - Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F480GBGT-BK 2.... ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-... 2 - CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Water Cooler  Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
PowerCase
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX1500 Classified 120-PG-1500-X... Xigmatek Elysium Black CCC-HSA0DS-U01 All Black... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W... ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SAT...  2- SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-b... G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin... 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB S... XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Extreme Universal CPU W... CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-8... IN WIN 904 Black 2mm/4mm Aluminum Tempered Glas... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollyriffic View Post

oh, gotcha.
yeah if you run it threw the dishwasher you then have to go over the board with alcohol.
i have filtered water so this isn't an issue for me, however i still do it..

my typical cleaning goes
1.) compressed air
2.) dishwasher
3.) alcohol
4.) compressed air
5.) wait 3 - 7 days if it has to be rushed out the door.. otherwise just get to it w/e i can.

its important to remove the battery from the motherboard and make sure that all capacitors are discharged before introducing water to the system.
as for the dishwasher heat, that's not really an issue because lead free solder melts around 270c. dishwasher is around 65c, pretty low.

^^ This is great advice!
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 870 @ 4.0ghz Asus P7P55D EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk SSD 256GB - OS, WD 500GB - Storage Samsung WriteMaster 16x Antec Kuhler H20 620 Windows 8 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Phillips Blade 21.5 1920x1080 HDMI Saitek Eclipse Coolermaster GX-650W Cooler Master CM-690 II Nvidia Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Steel Series Siberia V2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2.66ghz Apple Nvidia 650m 1GB 8GB On Board 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512 SSD N/A OSX Mountain Lion + W7 Ultimate in Bootcamp 15" 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 870 @ 4.0ghz Asus P7P55D EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk SSD 256GB - OS, WD 500GB - Storage Samsung WriteMaster 16x Antec Kuhler H20 620 Windows 8 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Phillips Blade 21.5 1920x1080 HDMI Saitek Eclipse Coolermaster GX-650W Cooler Master CM-690 II Nvidia Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Steel Series Siberia V2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2.66ghz Apple Nvidia 650m 1GB 8GB On Board 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512 SSD N/A OSX Mountain Lion + W7 Ultimate in Bootcamp 15" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 23
If I have to throw my motherboard in the dishwasher, I would probably be sitting beside the dishwasher until it finishes lol.
Yep, Aeris died
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K @4.8 Ghz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme EVGA GTX 580 SC Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial RealSSD C300 WD Caviar Black Asetek 760GC Windows 7 
OSPowerCaseMouse
FreeBSD Corsair Professional Series HX650 Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
Yep, Aeris died
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-2500K @4.8 Ghz ASUS Maximus IV Extreme EVGA GTX 580 SC Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4 GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial RealSSD C300 WD Caviar Black Asetek 760GC Windows 7 
OSPowerCaseMouse
FreeBSD Corsair Professional Series HX650 Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G700 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Can i submerge fans into a dishwasher?