Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Sub 70$ air cooler
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sub 70$ air cooler - Page 3

post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elohim View Post

That's a good choice for the money, if you dont mind the fact that you cant change the fans!

Other than that:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835709020
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=75787&vpn=HE01&manufacture=Silverstone%20Technology

i'd probably get on of these two, if you want some high quality stuff!

Yeah, I don't care for that whole fan thing, but it's a steal at $40 and will beat pretty much anything out there except an NH-D14, Silver Arrow, Phanteks TC14PE, or Archon with two fans.
Work in Progress
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 Windforce G.Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin Chronos  WD Caviar Blue WD Caviar Black Lite-On iHas 124 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme Windows 7 Ultimate Asus VH236H Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X750 Fractal Design Arc Midi Mionix Naos 5000 Ratpadz XT 
AudioAudio
HT Omega Striker Audio Technica ATH-AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
Work in Progress
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 Windforce G.Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Mushkin Chronos  WD Caviar Blue WD Caviar Black Lite-On iHas 124 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme Windows 7 Ultimate Asus VH236H Cooler Master Quickfire Rapid 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X750 Fractal Design Arc Midi Mionix Naos 5000 Ratpadz XT 
AudioAudio
HT Omega Striker Audio Technica ATH-AD700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 32
I usually agree with you Elohim but not this time.
The Silverstone HE01 is good but TC12DX is just a 4x 6mm pipe 120mm fan cooler... and $60 makes it very expensive one.


Thermalright True Spirit 140 is $49.99 140mm
TY-140 fan is one of the best fans there is and 6x 6mm pipes. .. and $10 cheaper than TC12DX
http://www.amazon.com/True-Spirit-140-testing-officially/dp/B00629G1PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359578002&sr=8-1&keywords=true+spirit+140
post #23 of 32
^ It's Canada mate.
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Reply
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

I usually agree with you Elohim but not this time.
The Silverstone HE01 is good but TC12DX is just a 4x 6mm pipe 120mm fan cooler... and $60 makes it very expensive one.


Thermalright True Spirit 140 is $49.99 140mm
TY-140 fan is one of the best fans there is and 6x 6mm pipes. .. and $10 cheaper than TC12DX
http://www.amazon.com/True-Spirit-140-testing-officially/dp/B00629G1PG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359578002&sr=8-1&keywords=true+spirit+140

1. I said if you want some "high quality stuff" smile.gif

2. You cant just look at the number of heatpipes. The type of heatpipe makes a difference, too as well as the build quality, number of fins, fin area, thickness of fins, soldered/not soldered, mounting mechanism with enough pressure?, etc...

and from what i've seen in a few reviews it seems to perform pretty damn good
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cooling/heatsinks/32334-phanteks-12dx?showall=&start=5
(see: better than 6 heatpipe Mugen 3 and CM V6GT)
http://www.hardwaremax.net/reviews/kuehler/605-test-thermalright-macho-120.html?showall=0&start=4

The 4 Heatpipes will most likely only be a limiting factor if you really turn up the heat beyond usual limits (if we talk Ivy/Sandy Bridge
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4,6GHz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Sapphire 7870XT @1,2GHz 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial Noctua U14S & Prolimatech MK26 (+1x Noctua A15) Antec HCP 1300 Lian Li X1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4,6GHz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Sapphire 7870XT @1,2GHz 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial Noctua U14S & Prolimatech MK26 (+1x Noctua A15) Antec HCP 1300 Lian Li X1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elohim View Post

1. I said if you want some "high quality stuff" smile.gif

2. You cant just look at the number of heatpipes. The type of heatpipe makes a difference, too as well as the build quality, number of fins, fin area, thickness of fins, soldered/not soldered, mounting mechanism with enough pressure?, etc...

and from what i've seen in a few reviews it seems to perform pretty damn good
http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cooling/heatsinks/32334-phanteks-12dx?showall=&start=5
(see: better than 6 heatpipe Mugen 3 and CM V6GT)
http://www.hardwaremax.net/reviews/kuehler/605-test-thermalright-macho-120.html?showall=0&start=4

The 4 Heatpipes will most likely only be a limiting factor if you really turn up the heat beyond usual limits (if we talk Ivy/Sandy Bridge
1. Is Thermalright True Spirit not a high quality cooler?
2. Yes. Never said otherwise. No idea what the difference in heat pipes is but I doubt they are much if any different in design. I think TS140 has everything need to be just as good or better than TC12DX

TC12DX is a good cooler. TS 140 has better fan. Reviews give very limited comparisons.

TS 140 is $10 cheaper with at least as good a cooler and only one fan, but a better fan.

And maybe I'm too skeptical but when I see results of the TC12DX with 4x 6mm pipes in 1x 57x126x157mm being less than1c hotter than the TC14TC 5x 8mm pipes in 2x 54x140x160mm towers I have to wonder why. Same company, same fin design, same kind of base, same mount with about twice pipe surface area and fin area with 120mm fans compared to 140mm fans and less than 1c difference on a i5-3570K at 4.4GHz? Sorry my jury is still out.

Right now I would get the Thermalright True Spirit 140 over the TC12DX for less money and a long tried and proven track record.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I think you are one of the most knowledgeable people around. I'm only saying why I don't see it the same as you do in this case.

Oh, here's Hardwaremax/s PE-TC12DX review
http://www.hardwaremax.net/reviews/kuehler/601-test-phanteks-ph-tc12dx.html
Edited by doyll - 1/30/13 at 4:57pm
post #26 of 32
If the TS140 is any indication from how frickin good my TS120 was then I would definitely take that over anything else.
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-6600K @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon ASUS Radeon R9 390 (1200/1650) 2x4GB 2666MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 128GB Phobya Custom Water Windows 10 QNIX QX2710 @ 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
QPAD MK-50, Blue Switches Rosewill TACHYON 650W Xigmatek Elysium G400 
Mouse PadAudio
MSI Gaming Xonar U7 + AKG Q701 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-6600K @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon ASUS Radeon R9 390 (1200/1650) 2x4GB 2666MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 128GB Phobya Custom Water Windows 10 QNIX QX2710 @ 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
QPAD MK-50, Blue Switches Rosewill TACHYON 650W Xigmatek Elysium G400 
Mouse PadAudio
MSI Gaming Xonar U7 + AKG Q701 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

1. Is Thermalright True Spirit not a high quality cooler?
2. Yes. Never said otherwise. No idea what the difference in heat pipes is but I doubt they are much if any different in design. I think TS140 has everything need to be just as good or better than TC12DX

TC12DX is a good cooler. TS 140 has better fan. Reviews give very limited comparisons.

TS 140 is $10 cheaper with at least as good a cooler and only one fan, but a better fan.

And maybe I'm too skeptical but when I see results of the TC12DX with 4x 6mm pipes in 1x 57x126x157mm being less than1c hotter than the TC14TC 5x 8mm pipes in 2x 54x140x160mm towers I have to wonder why. Same company, same fin design, same kind of base, same mount with about twice pipe surface area and fin area with 120mm fans compared to 140mm fans and less than 1c difference on a i5-3570K at 4.4GHz? Sorry my jury is still out.

Right now I would get the Thermalright True Spirit 140 over the TC12DX for less money and a long tried and proven track record.

I'm not saying you are wrong. I think you are one of the most knowledgeable people around. I'm only saying why I don't see it the same as you do in this case.

Oh, here's Hardwaremax/s PE-TC12DX review
http://www.hardwaremax.net/reviews/kuehler/601-test-phanteks-ph-tc12dx.html


It might not be the best bang for you buck option, thats why i said: "if you want some quality stuff".
And the Phanteks is way superiour to the True Spirit if we talk solely about build quality. The TS is as simple as it gets, while the Phanteks has the best build quality of any air cooler. Just look at it: Every fin layer consists of four different fin-parts, wich are laced together in the middle and soldered to the heatpipes. The heatpipes are nickle plated, the fins are powdercoated, laced on the outside at 8 different points. And they use a different top fin for aesthetics. Also the mounting mechanism is way more sturdy.

The TS consists of just pure alu fins with holes in it wich are just tucked onto the heatpipes. So that's a lot less amount of work to do smile.gif

Not saying that it's incredibly important though... biggrin.gif
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4,6GHz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Sapphire 7870XT @1,2GHz 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial Noctua U14S & Prolimatech MK26 (+1x Noctua A15) Antec HCP 1300 Lian Li X1000 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4,6GHz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Sapphire 7870XT @1,2GHz 16GB DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
Crucial Noctua U14S & Prolimatech MK26 (+1x Noctua A15) Antec HCP 1300 Lian Li X1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 32
I hear what your are saying. Phanteks are very well built. But nickel plated pipes don't improve cooling.. I count 2 pieces for each fin layer.. unless you are counting both radiator towers as one layer. In that case the TC12DX is on 2 pieces per layer. I much prefer the Phanteks mount as it's much easier to assemble having crossbar mounted to cooler, retaining clips and springs on crossbar mounting screws, etc. But I don't think Thermalright mount is any less sturdy.

Too bad you don't have a TC12DX to review for us. It many well be as good as HardwaremAx says. I like there reviews.
post #29 of 32
I saw an NH-D14 on the classifieds for $55 a couple days ago, you could see if it's still there.
post #30 of 32
OP, unless you've completely pulled the trigger and you're getting an H60, I strongly advise against it.


Get an H80 at the very least, or listen to one of the suggestions already shown here for quality heatsinks. The h60 just isn't that good.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Sub 70$ air cooler