Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › caselabs project
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

caselabs project - Page 3

post #21 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLapiu View Post

Never mind the black bar. I was looking at it wrong, it's just the floor of the top section.

Now here are my views with my case, not telling you how to build yours, just telling you how I will build mine and take what you want out of it.

I will have two rads at the bottom, both will pull in fresh air from the floor and push out the sides.
The two top rads will pull in from the sides and push out to the top.

The reason you don't really want to have air going through a second rad is that the srcondvrad uses warm air from the first rad and you might get maybe 15% of the second rad's performance. Almost as if the second rad wasn't there at all.

Here is a test conducted by Martin about rad sandwiching, or reusing rad air:
Rad Sandwich Test

The amazing part of it is that a single rad with 6 fans in push/pull worked better than two rads sandwiched with 6 fans.

Not sure the point of Martin's test is coming across here. It isn't that the air from the first rad is a little warmer that caused the issue, it is the disruption to the air flow. His final line states

"When stacking rads, the fan pressure requirements increase greatly. Low FPI-rads as well as high-pressure fans should be preffered for such setups."

"Two separate rads perform best"

In Radish's case, the separation between the rads will probably negate the negative effects of actually sandwiching the rads, and I equate his set up to be two separate rads.

Matin's test with the second rad involved in the air flow but not in the loop is fairly conclusive that it is the air flow disruption producing the poor results, not that the second rad is getting "warmer" air.

Just wanted to point that out for clarity. That being said, I think that I would try both rads either pulling air from the middle and exhausting out the case or both pulling from outside the case to the middle. I do not have any testing data to support this approach, it just makes sense to me.
Dad's Beast
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 Asus GTX 590 Patriot Viper Black Mamba 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2 X Corsair Force 3 in RAID 0 2 X Seagate Barracuda in RAID 1 Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray player DVD Burner Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/X... Windows 7 Professional 64bit Optoma HD66 (3D) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rev 1 ad Rev 2 (Dual Locations) OCZ ZX 1250 HAF X Logitech M570 and Microsoft Trackball Explorere... 
AudioOther
Logitech Z5500 with Asus Xonar GS 4 Sets of Nvidia 3D Glasses 
  hide details  
Reply
Dad's Beast
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 Asus GTX 590 Patriot Viper Black Mamba 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2 X Corsair Force 3 in RAID 0 2 X Seagate Barracuda in RAID 1 Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray player DVD Burner Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/X... Windows 7 Professional 64bit Optoma HD66 (3D) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rev 1 ad Rev 2 (Dual Locations) OCZ ZX 1250 HAF X Logitech M570 and Microsoft Trackball Explorere... 
AudioOther
Logitech Z5500 with Asus Xonar GS 4 Sets of Nvidia 3D Glasses 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 60
Of course it is the warmer air that causes the problem! Look at the radiator tests



The air efficiency column is indicating that up to 90% of the cooling capacity of the air is used by the first rad ... that only leaves 10% for the next rad.



Even thin rads have the same problem, just less so.

You can have the same effect even if the rads are separated by the whole case. If you have a front rad intaking and a top rad exhausting your efficency sucks. When they are right next to each other they are sandwiched. Even if you had top fans blowing cool air down between them the air would still be heat poluted by the first rad, the effect would just be lessened.
Edited by Jakusonfire - 2/3/13 at 4:04pm
Kusanagi
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX 780 SC Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2133C11 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB X2 EK Supremacy Aqua Computer Aquaero 6 Pro Aqua Computer D5 USB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Aquacomputer MPS 400 flow meter EK-CoolStream PE 360 EK-Coolstream PE 240 Noiseblocker Eloop B12-PS 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Vardar F2 EK-FC Titan Acetal & Nickel EK-RAM Monarch X4 Clean CSQ - Acetal+Nickel EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit Samsung S27A750d LG E2290V-SN Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750D 
  hide details  
Reply
Kusanagi
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3570K Asus Sabertooth Z77 EVGA GTX 780 SC Corsair Vengeance Pro CMY16GX3M2A2133C11 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB X2 EK Supremacy Aqua Computer Aquaero 6 Pro Aqua Computer D5 USB 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Aquacomputer MPS 400 flow meter EK-CoolStream PE 360 EK-Coolstream PE 240 Noiseblocker Eloop B12-PS 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Vardar F2 EK-FC Titan Acetal & Nickel EK-RAM Monarch X4 Clean CSQ - Acetal+Nickel EK-D5 X-RES 140 CSQ 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit Samsung S27A750d LG E2290V-SN Silverstone Strider Plus 850W ST85F-P 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 750D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakusonfire View Post

Of course it is the warmer air that causes the problem! Look at the radiator tests
The air efficiency column is indicating that up to 90% of the cooling capacity of the air is used by the first rad ... that only leaves 10% for the next rad.
Even thin rads have the same problem, just less so.
You can have the same effect even if the rads are separated by the whole case. If you have a front rad intaking and a top rad exhausting your efficency sucks. When they are right next to each other they are sandwiched. Even if you had top fans blowing cool air down between them the air would still be heat poluted by the first rad, the effect would just be lessened.

I guess you can believe whatever you want. I doubt very much that just because the efficiency is 90% that it only leaves 10%. It could very well be 80% in the second rad because the air is somewhat warmer, or something like that.

Not knowing where you got your charts, I cannot explain what those charts mean, and I am not prepared to go looking for them. I provided substantiation in my original post. Take from it what you will.
Dad's Beast
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 Asus GTX 590 Patriot Viper Black Mamba 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2 X Corsair Force 3 in RAID 0 2 X Seagate Barracuda in RAID 1 Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray player DVD Burner Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/X... Windows 7 Professional 64bit Optoma HD66 (3D) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rev 1 ad Rev 2 (Dual Locations) OCZ ZX 1250 HAF X Logitech M570 and Microsoft Trackball Explorere... 
AudioOther
Logitech Z5500 with Asus Xonar GS 4 Sets of Nvidia 3D Glasses 
  hide details  
Reply
Dad's Beast
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 Asus GTX 590 Patriot Viper Black Mamba 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2 X Corsair Force 3 in RAID 0 2 X Seagate Barracuda in RAID 1 Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray player DVD Burner Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/X... Windows 7 Professional 64bit Optoma HD66 (3D) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rev 1 ad Rev 2 (Dual Locations) OCZ ZX 1250 HAF X Logitech M570 and Microsoft Trackball Explorere... 
AudioOther
Logitech Z5500 with Asus Xonar GS 4 Sets of Nvidia 3D Glasses 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 60
Thread Starter 
i ordered 6 2150 gentle typhoon fans to help with all this cooling thing. right now im sitting a fairly high 38 idle. ill have to revise my loop some right now i am thinking the fact that the pumps are fighting gravity and pushing water into the rads im getting some kinda performance hit. ill try to run to res right into the res/pump combo i got see if that improves anything. i wonder if there is a better to route the bottom tube from the gpus up to the rads... suggestions are welcome.

quick update. got my sleeved cables for the inside of the case. looks fairly clean. considering that im running 8 drives in this case.


Edited by radish - 2/3/13 at 6:21pm
post #25 of 60
Thread Starter 
Then again i AM running the fans at about 800 - 900 rpm


Edited by radish - 2/3/13 at 6:30pm
post #26 of 60
Loop order is not that relevant. Rads on top is not affecting your flow to any noticeable effect. If I had to guess, I would say bad mount, however, I have read many times that Idle temp is irrelevant. Load temps are the ones to watch. If you read the information provided by the guy who created real temp, the calibration of the temp sensors at idle temps is really poor anyway. I had a dual core that the reported temp never went below 47 C.
Dad's Beast
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 Asus GTX 590 Patriot Viper Black Mamba 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2 X Corsair Force 3 in RAID 0 2 X Seagate Barracuda in RAID 1 Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray player DVD Burner Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/X... Windows 7 Professional 64bit Optoma HD66 (3D) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rev 1 ad Rev 2 (Dual Locations) OCZ ZX 1250 HAF X Logitech M570 and Microsoft Trackball Explorere... 
AudioOther
Logitech Z5500 with Asus Xonar GS 4 Sets of Nvidia 3D Glasses 
  hide details  
Reply
Dad's Beast
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ASROCK Z77 Extreme4 Asus GTX 590 Patriot Viper Black Mamba 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
2 X Corsair Force 3 in RAID 0 2 X Seagate Barracuda in RAID 1 Seagate Barracuda Seagate Barracuda 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu Ray player DVD Burner Thermochill PA120.2 GT AP15 in push, DDC 3.25/X... Windows 7 Professional 64bit Optoma HD66 (3D) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Rev 1 ad Rev 2 (Dual Locations) OCZ ZX 1250 HAF X Logitech M570 and Microsoft Trackball Explorere... 
AudioOther
Logitech Z5500 with Asus Xonar GS 4 Sets of Nvidia 3D Glasses 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 60
Thread Starter 
thanks for the other post... ill properly reply to it once i have done some testing of my own when my fans arrive. but i get what you mean. although i have to note that in the 800D the same setup ran about 8C cooler. its also a possibility that i may of knocked the cpu block while putting in fittings and somehow messed up the mount job. so maybe ill try to apply fresh thermal paste remount and see if that makes a lick o difference.
post #28 of 60
OMG drool.gif

I thought my Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra was big...

I want one of these cases!!!

Beautiful system!!!
Little Green
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820K ASUS X99-M WS Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 G.Skill DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill Phoenix III Silicon Power S60 EK Supremacy Clean CSQ Green Nickle Swifttech MCP655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC 360 Crossflow EK 240XL Primochill Advanced LRT UV Pearl Green 1/2 ID 3... Mod My Toys Carbon Fiber Compression 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK Pump/Res Top EK FC970WF3 Windows 10 Pro 64 LG 24GM77 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750 DIYPC Cuboid-G Logitech G500s 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Blue something 10 Year Old $30 Turtle Beach Kingwin 4 Channel PWM Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Green
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5820K ASUS X99-M WS Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 G.Skill DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
G.Skill Phoenix III Silicon Power S60 EK Supremacy Clean CSQ Green Nickle Swifttech MCP655 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC 360 Crossflow EK 240XL Primochill Advanced LRT UV Pearl Green 1/2 ID 3... Mod My Toys Carbon Fiber Compression 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK Pump/Res Top EK FC970WF3 Windows 10 Pro 64 LG 24GM77 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX750 DIYPC Cuboid-G Logitech G500s 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Blue something 10 Year Old $30 Turtle Beach Kingwin 4 Channel PWM Fan Controller 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 60
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore888 View Post

OMG drool.gif

I thought my Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra was big...

I want one of these cases!!!

Beautiful system!!!

thats a 27" for comparison in the top left there. makes it look like 2002. tongue.gif
post #30 of 60
Woot for a fellow Koolance RP-452x2 Rev. 2.0 owner and an amazing Case to house it.
IN WIN 509 Build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k Gigabyte Z170X Ultra Gaming Gigabyte 980 Ti Extreme Gaming G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 750 NVMe Samsung EVO EK 240 Predator Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift Corsair Strafe RGB MX Brown IN WIN Classic 750 IN WIN 805 
MouseAudio
Corsair Sabre RGB Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
IN WIN 509 Build
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k Gigabyte Z170X Ultra Gaming Gigabyte 980 Ti Extreme Gaming G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 750 NVMe Samsung EVO EK 240 Predator Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift Corsair Strafe RGB MX Brown IN WIN Classic 750 IN WIN 805 
MouseAudio
Corsair Sabre RGB Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › caselabs project