Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Old old old system needs GPU refresh
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Old old old system needs GPU refresh

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hello, been reading the forums since midnight it's now 9:35am and have not come any closer to an answer. So, forgive me, but I'm making a thread to ask for your help. redface.gif

My PC:

GA-M61SME-S2 (rev. 2.x) ((PCIe x16 slot is actually x8))
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0ghz
2gb DDR2 800mhz
Geforce 7300se/7200gs 1GB (256vram)
160gb HDD
450w psu
Windows 8 OS

Yes, it's a monster. rolleyes.gif

I know a major re-haul is needed but that will have to wait until I have saved up enough to build all new from scratch. For now I'm gonna struggle on with this. I only use it for video game editing, modding skins and textures, light gaming and internettin'. Most demanding game I have is RE5, on which I get 10fps on the lowest settings, so I don't even play it. Mostly I play games (Doom, Quake, Painkiller, Duke Nukem, Thief etc.) at a maximum resolution of 1280 x 720, usually more often it's 800 x 600. Hey, it works for me. tongue.gif

I want to add a newer graphics card but don't know if the power supply unit is up to the task simply because I don't know the details of it, what type, brand, pin etc. I haven't opened the PC up yet and looked at its guts. The machine is from a collection of pre-builds and was given away/sold off to make room for newer ones. I didn't build it - I wouldn't even know how.

I'm trying to find the best GPU to match up with the CPU without bottlenecking either. I know squat about computers. After days of researching I have so far figured out my cut off point is around the HD 4870. Anything higher than a HD 4870, I'm told, wouldn't sit well with the dual-core codger. With the lowest I'd settle for being a GTS 240.

My budget is tight (£60), I am focusing on low power consumption and price. I found this one but am not sure about the ram, it seems too low for that card.

My short list:

GTS 240
GTS 250
GTS 450
HD 3870
HD 4850
HD 4870
HD 5570
HD 5750
HD 5770

I only want one to make RE5 somewhat playable but can't decide which one. Any better suggestions?

Thank you for reading and making, if any, recommendations. smile.gif
post #2 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post

Hello, been reading the forums since midnight it's now 9:35am and have not come any closer to an answer. So, forgive me, but I'm making a thread to ask for your help. redface.gif

My PC:

GA-M61SME-S2 (rev. 2.x) ((PCIe x16 slot is actually x8))
AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0ghz
2gb DDR2 800mhz
Geforce 7300se/7200gs 1GB (256vram)
160gb HDD
450w psu
Windows 8 OS

Yes, it's a monster. rolleyes.gif

I know a major re-haul is needed but that will have to wait until I have saved up enough to build all new from scratch. For now I'm gonna struggle on with this. I only use it for video game editing, modding skins and textures, light gaming and internettin'. Most demanding game I have is RE5, on which I get 10fps on the lowest settings, so I don't even play it. Mostly I play games (Doom, Quake, Painkiller, Duke Nukem, Thief etc.) at a maximum resolution of 1280 x 720, usually more often it's 800 x 600. Hey, it works for me. tongue.gif

I want to add a newer graphics card but don't know if the power supply unit is up to the task simply because I don't know the details of it, what type, brand, pin etc. I haven't opened the PC up yet and looked at its guts. The machine is from a collection of pre-builds and was given away/sold off to make room for newer ones. I didn't build it - I wouldn't even know how.

I'm trying to find the best GPU to match up with the CPU without bottlenecking either. I know squat about computers. After days of researching I have so far figured out my cut off point is around the HD 4870. Anything higher than a HD 4870, I'm told, wouldn't sit well with the dual-core codger. With the lowest I'd settle for being a GTS 240.

My budget is tight (£60), I am focusing on low power consumption and price. I found this one but am not sure about the ram, it seems too low for that card.

My short list:

GTS 240
GTS 250
GTS 450
HD 3870
HD 4850
HD 4870
HD 5570
HD 5750
HD 5770

I only want one to make RE5 somewhat playable but can't decide which one. Any better suggestions?

Thank you for reading and making, if any, recommendations. smile.gif

If you can get your hands on an HD 6770 for less than 100 dollars the you're set smile.gif My HD 6770 played RE5 maxed out with no difficulty whatsoever , it's a solid card and a great performer playing BF3 on medium-high with stable 35-40 FPS smile.gif Although if you find a 7770 in the same price range don't hesitate to go with it instead
Edited by Justhavocman - 2/3/13 at 3:15am
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Foxconn H61 MXV Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB CoolerMaster V8 Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2243S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
coolermaster quickfire tk XFX 750W Pro Core Edition CoolerMaster Haf 922 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Foxconn H61 MXV Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB CoolerMaster V8 Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2243S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
coolermaster quickfire tk XFX 750W Pro Core Edition CoolerMaster Haf 922 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 14
The 5770 Will get you lots of bang for little buck, very good on power also, it will easily run on a cheap 450w ( i have owned 4+ 5770s)

The ge force 5750 is VERRRYYYY old (slower than your current card), (dont get it confused with the HD 5750) It is one of nVidias first PCI express cards released around 2005.


In short.

Get the HD5770, you will not be dissappointed,
Keep in mind that you have an older system and should really upgrade it to see the gpu fly (doesn't mean you won't see a massive improvement, you WILL)

Get some more RAM also, if you can stretch your budget
4K ITX
(14 items)
 
Work machine
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k [4.4GHZ] Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA 980Ti SC ACX [1455/3801] 12GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 128Gb Sandisk SSD Seidon 120V Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardCaseMouse
2 x Dell P2715Q 4K Apple Kbd Silverstone SG13B Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries QCK Senheiser HD449 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4870HQ @2.5GHz Macbook Pro 2015 Radeon R9 M370X 2GB 16GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
512GB PCI-E X4 SSD SM0512G  macOS 2x Dell U2715H Apple wired 
Mouse
Logitech G402 
  hide details  
Reply
4K ITX
(14 items)
 
Work machine
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3770k [4.4GHZ] Asrock Z77E-ITX EVGA 980Ti SC ACX [1455/3801] 12GB 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung 128Gb Sandisk SSD Seidon 120V Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardCaseMouse
2 x Dell P2715Q 4K Apple Kbd Silverstone SG13B Logitech G602 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries QCK Senheiser HD449 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4870HQ @2.5GHz Macbook Pro 2015 Radeon R9 M370X 2GB 16GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
512GB PCI-E X4 SSD SM0512G  macOS 2x Dell U2715H Apple wired 
Mouse
Logitech G402 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake438 View Post

The 5770 Will get you lots of bang for little buck, very good on power also, it will easily run on a cheap 450w ( i have owned 4+ 5770s)

The ge force 5750 is VERRRYYYY old (slower than your current card), (dont get it confused with the HD 5750) It is one of nVidias first PCI express cards released around 2005.


In short.

Get the HD5770, you will not be dissappointed,
Keep in mind that you have an older system and should really upgrade it to see the gpu fly (doesn't mean you won't see a massive improvement, you WILL)

Get some more RAM also, if you can stretch your budget

I don't think there are any 5770 on the market , only used ones same goes for the 6770 , your best bet is a 7770 on sale or search for used cards on ebay thumb.gif
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Foxconn H61 MXV Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB CoolerMaster V8 Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2243S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
coolermaster quickfire tk XFX 750W Pro Core Edition CoolerMaster Haf 922 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Foxconn H61 MXV Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB CoolerMaster V8 Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2243S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
coolermaster quickfire tk XFX 750W Pro Core Edition CoolerMaster Haf 922 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 14
There are a lots of used GTX 460 in circulation. That would be my first pick. The radeon 5770 and 5850 are also good choices. Slightly cheaper (slower) and lacking DX11 would be the radeon 4890/70 and the GTX 260 and GTX 275.

There is no down side to getting a overkill GPU and when talking this old stuff the price differences are miniscule between the faster and slower cards.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

There are a lots of used GTX 460 in circulation. That would be my first pick. The radeon 5770 and 5850 are also good choices. Slightly cheaper (slower) and lacking DX11 would be the radeon 4890/70 and the GTX 260 and GTX 275.

There is no down side to getting a overkill GPU and when talking this old stuff the price differences are miniscule between the faster and slower cards.

^+1
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Foxconn H61 MXV Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB CoolerMaster V8 Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2243S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
coolermaster quickfire tk XFX 750W Pro Core Edition CoolerMaster Haf 922 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Foxconn H61 MXV Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 1333 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 7200RPM 1TB CoolerMaster V8 Windows 7 Home Premium LG Flatron W2243S 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
coolermaster quickfire tk XFX 750W Pro Core Edition CoolerMaster Haf 922 Razer Naga 2014 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 14
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 14
These? Around 60 quid with potage and should give a decent boost!


http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-020-KF&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-279-SP&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=


If not search for a high end card from around 3 years or so ago on ebay that might have a good price. I got a GTX 570 for a steal recently with warranty from ebay redface.gif
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 870 @ 4.0ghz Asus P7P55D EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk SSD 256GB - OS, WD 500GB - Storage Samsung WriteMaster 16x Antec Kuhler H20 620 Windows 8 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Phillips Blade 21.5 1920x1080 HDMI Saitek Eclipse Coolermaster GX-650W Cooler Master CM-690 II Nvidia Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Steel Series Siberia V2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2.66ghz Apple Nvidia 650m 1GB 8GB On Board 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512 SSD N/A OSX Mountain Lion + W7 Ultimate in Bootcamp 15" 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 870 @ 4.0ghz Asus P7P55D EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk SSD 256GB - OS, WD 500GB - Storage Samsung WriteMaster 16x Antec Kuhler H20 620 Windows 8 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Phillips Blade 21.5 1920x1080 HDMI Saitek Eclipse Coolermaster GX-650W Cooler Master CM-690 II Nvidia Edition 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Razer Vespula Steel Series Siberia V2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2.66ghz Apple Nvidia 650m 1GB 8GB On Board 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
512 SSD N/A OSX Mountain Lion + W7 Ultimate in Bootcamp 15" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm deciding now between the GT 620 or HD 7750. Just worried about sitting them into a v1.0 PCIe x16 that runs at x8.
How much of a drop in performance would I see if I put a PCIe 2.0 or 3.0 card in there?

Also, I read that there would be a clash with the on-board graphics, Nvidia 6100 chip set, if I try to put a Radeon card in there. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Plan to build/buy a better system later in the year, still saving up.
In the mean time I want to balance this machine out with a GPU that best matches the CPU.

Thanks again! biggrin.gif
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm deciding now between the GT 620 or HD 7750. Just worried about sitting them into a v1.0 PCIe x16 that runs at x8.
How much of a drop in performance would I see if I put a PCIe 2.0 or 3.0 card in there?

Also, I read that there would be a clash with the on-board graphics, Nvidia 6100 chip set, if I try to put a Radeon card in there. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Plan to build/buy a better system later in the year, still saving up.
In the mean time I want to balance this machine out with a GPU that best matches the CPU.

Thanks again! biggrin.gif

Both of those cards would be a poor purchase (with the 620 being so low end as not to bother with). Many of the old cards you listed in your OP can be found for similar prices and offer alot more grunt. I would be looking on Ebay for 550ti's or gtx 460 (or even a higher end card from the 2xx series like 275 or 280)
Intel
(14 items)
 
AMD
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gbyte Z77X-UD3H MSI GTX670 16GB (4X4) Corsair Vengance 1600MHz Low Profile 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD Cheapo DVDRW 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
CM Hyper 212 EVO Push/Pull Win7 Pro Sidewinder X4 OCZ ZS 650W 
CaseMouse
CM HAF X RAT 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II 1600T GA990XA-UD3 Palit 550ti Palit 550ti (sli) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB (4X4) Gskill OCZ Agility 3 120GB Seagate Barracuda 500GB WD Black 500GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
Cheapo DVDRW AC Freezer 7 Pro Win 7 Pro Server 2008 
OSOSPowerCase
Ubuntu Win 8 OCZ ZS 650w Self modded cheapo thing 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel
(14 items)
 
AMD
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gbyte Z77X-UD3H MSI GTX670 16GB (4X4) Corsair Vengance 1600MHz Low Profile 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD Cheapo DVDRW 
CoolingOSKeyboardPower
CM Hyper 212 EVO Push/Pull Win7 Pro Sidewinder X4 OCZ ZS 650W 
CaseMouse
CM HAF X RAT 5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Phenom II 1600T GA990XA-UD3 Palit 550ti Palit 550ti (sli) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB (4X4) Gskill OCZ Agility 3 120GB Seagate Barracuda 500GB WD Black 500GB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
Cheapo DVDRW AC Freezer 7 Pro Win 7 Pro Server 2008 
OSOSPowerCase
Ubuntu Win 8 OCZ ZS 650w Self modded cheapo thing 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Old old old system needs GPU refresh