Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Speaker Advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Speaker Advice

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
I'm looking to upgrade to a better sound system and I don't know where to start.

I have a budget of around $400.00, if there's something super nice around there I'd also be interested. Not going higher than $500.00. I listen to all types of music so an overall high quality is appreciated. I plan on using them in a College Dorm room for a while, and I'd like them to be able to shake the floor above and below mine, as well as present a crisp and clear audio quality. I play a lot of games as well, so I'd hope that they can provide the slightest gunshot in the distance to a huge bomb exploding right next to me. Currently I have Logitech z623's (I know, not the greatest) and I know some people with Logitech z5500's. I want my quality to be anywhere above or around the same as z5500s. I'm from Wisconsin, any website that has shipping here and is around my price range is accepted.

Thanks for the help!
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewd View Post

I'm looking to upgrade to a better sound system and I don't know where to start.

I have a budget of around $400.00, if there's something super nice around there I'd also be interested. Not going higher than $500.00. I listen to all types of music so an overall high quality is appreciated. I plan on using them in a College Dorm room for a while, and I'd like them to be able to shake the floor above and below mine, as well as present a crisp and clear audio quality. I play a lot of games as well, so I'd hope that they can provide the slightest gunshot in the distance to a huge bomb exploding right next to me. Currently I have Logitech z623's (I know, not the greatest) and I know some people with Logitech z5500's. I want my quality to be anywhere above or around the same as z5500s. I'm from Wisconsin, any website that has shipping here and is around my price range is accepted.

Thanks for the help!

If you can do DIY speakers (DIY stuff lets you have better quality at a cheaper price) you can get this kit http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-640 .

Get this dac/amp http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=833986&Q=&is=REG&A=details

And get this sub woofer. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

If you can do DIY speakers (DIY stuff lets you have better quality at a cheaper price) you can get this kit http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-640 .

Get this dac/amp http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=833986&Q=&is=REG&A=details

And get this sub woofer. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-629
I'm not so sure that I can DIY, how big of a difference would it be?
post #4 of 22
Check out the Mackie MR5MK2 speakers.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k | Stock Asus X99 Sabertooth Asus GTX980 Strix | Stock G.SKILL Value Series 4x8GB DDR4 | 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Red 2TB x4 | Raid 5 Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD x2 | Raid 1 Corsair H80i Windows Server 2012 R2 
PowerCase
Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Titanium 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i3-3220 Asrock H77M-ITX Samsung HYK0 2x4GB WD Black 500GB 
OSCase
Sophos UTM Home Edition Silverstone Sugo SG05BB 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k | Stock Asus X99 Sabertooth Asus GTX980 Strix | Stock G.SKILL Value Series 4x8GB DDR4 | 2133Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Red 2TB x4 | Raid 5 Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD x2 | Raid 1 Corsair H80i Windows Server 2012 R2 
PowerCase
Corsair AX850 Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Titanium 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i3-3220 Asrock H77M-ITX Samsung HYK0 2x4GB WD Black 500GB 
OSCase
Sophos UTM Home Edition Silverstone Sugo SG05BB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by itskerby View Post

Check out the Mackie MR5MK2 speakers.

So these are solid for speakers... What can I use for a Sub? I need a lot of bass as well to shake my ... dorm building.
post #6 of 22
There is plenty of gear out there and while a DIY kit is great, it's not for everybody. The Dayton speaker kit Tjj226 Angel posted is an easy one to setup compared to some of the others, but it still requires soldering. If you've never done any soldering then I would advise against it.

As for DACs there is a quite a few out there. HRT Musicstreamer II, Audioquest Dragonfly, iBasso D7, Arcam rPAC, Blue Circle USB Thingee (ugly and ghetto looking, but it's a really good USB DAC, sold by TLP-Audio), and many others. These can be had at around $200 or less.

For speakers you could try out the Morduant Short Carnival 2, Cambridge Audio S30, Infinity P163 or P153, (usually pretty cheap at Fry's or Amazon), HDT Level Two, Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350, Energy RC-10, and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Tjj226 Angel suggested a good budget sub, but you still need an amp. Topping T21 or DTA-100a would be great choices.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Gigabyte Z77X-D3H MSI R9 270 2x4GB G.skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 250GB. Samsung F3 1TB, Seagate 2TB LP Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 LG M2352 23" IPS 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair VX550 Lian Li PC-P50WB KEF iQ10 driven by TCA Gizmo source by Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Gigabyte Z77X-D3H MSI R9 270 2x4GB G.skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 250GB. Samsung F3 1TB, Seagate 2TB LP Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 LG M2352 23" IPS 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair VX550 Lian Li PC-P50WB KEF iQ10 driven by TCA Gizmo source by Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
So I'm guessing to have a higher sound quality and overall performance I'd have to mix-and-match speakers/ subs/ amps/ etc. Is there any kit that's an all-in-one that is recommended? Or is the difference that big when you mix and match?
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksthem1 View Post

There is plenty of gear out there and while a DIY kit is great, it's not for everybody. The Dayton speaker kit Tjj226 Angel posted is an easy one to setup compared to some of the others, but it still requires soldering. If you've never done any soldering then I would advise against it.

As for DACs there is a quite a few out there. HRT Musicstreamer II, Audioquest Dragonfly, iBasso D7, Arcam rPAC, Blue Circle USB Thingee (ugly and ghetto looking, but it's a really good USB DAC, sold by TLP-Audio), and many others. These can be had at around $200 or less.

For speakers you could try out the Morduant Short Carnival 2, Cambridge Audio S30, Infinity P163 or P153, (usually pretty cheap at Fry's or Amazon), HDT Level Two, Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 350, Energy RC-10, and a couple of others I can't remember off the top of my head.

Tjj226 Angel suggested a good budget sub, but you still need an amp. Topping T21 or DTA-100a would be great choices.

I seriously have no idea what sort of grudge you hold against the audio engine D1, but it is misplaced. I have heard all of the ones you suggested except for the audioquest. The only one that was truly better than the D1 is the Blue circle. Everything else was either on par or slightly better, but none of them really justified the price. Keep in mind, it is about 200 bucks JUST for the dac. The D1 is a dac AND amp (which I know you know). There is such a thing as value and the D1 is probably one of the best value oriented audio devices.

As for speakers, the S30s are pretty good, but they are 220 bucks. What kind of subwoofer is he supposed to get if he will be hitting the ceiling of his budget with the speakers and the dac? Or are you suggesting he skips the woofer all together?
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
Yin&Yang
(19 items)
 
Soon
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4820K Gigabyte X79 UP4 GTX 660 (waiting for new AMD cards) Samsung green  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Adata SP900  Seagate 2TB hard drive (the power of 1 edition)  Custom WC Loop Linux (various versions) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster T240HD Coolermaster XT Green switches XFX 1000w Corsair 800D 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga Epic 2014 edition Razer Vespula Stax Lambda Nova Classic Custom DIY DAC 
AudioAudioOther
300b PP monoblocks Snell J3 NZXT Hue 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz 8 core xeon E6 @ 3.5ghz EVGA X99 SR?  AMD 390x 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveCooling
AMD 390x 128 GB ECC DDR4  1TB PCI-e SSD Custom WC Loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux 16:10 Samsung PLS 4K monitor Corsair RGB keyboard with custom cherry MX supe... EVGA 1600 watt titanium  
CaseMouseAudio
Caselabs Magnum STH10 DIY my own mouse Snell J 3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewd View Post

So I'm guessing to have a higher sound quality and overall performance I'd have to mix-and-match speakers/ subs/ amps/ etc. Is there any kit that's an all-in-one that is recommended? Or is the difference that big when you mix and match?

Kinda. The higher quality ones which are going to be more all-in-one will have a much higher price tag. Active speakers will eliminate the need for an external amp, but not all quality units will have subwoofers. There are some manufacturers that will a certain line or kits put together. Even then their supplied subs will run you over budget.

Swan has the M50w at $300, but I would still get a DAC for a better listening experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjj226 Angel View Post

I seriously have no idea what sort of grudge you hold against the audio engine D1, but it is misplaced. I have heard all of the ones you suggested except for the audioquest. The only one that was truly better than the D1 is the Blue circle. Everything else was either on par or slightly better, but none of them really justified the price. Keep in mind, it is about 200 bucks JUST for the dac. The D1 is a dac AND amp (which I know you know). There is such a thing as value and the D1 is probably one of the best value oriented audio devices.

As for speakers, the S30s are pretty good, but they are 220 bucks. What kind of subwoofer is he supposed to get if he will be hitting the ceiling of his budget with the speakers and the dac? Or are you suggesting he skips the woofer all together?
The Audioquest is an amazing DAC. Asynchronous at that price range is also very good.
He can still get a sub, it's just a matter of choosing which speakers and such.

If he doesn't need the headphone amp, then he can just get something like the Objective DAC or Schiit Modi.
Edited by aksthem1 - 2/4/13 at 9:46am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Gigabyte Z77X-D3H MSI R9 270 2x4GB G.skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 250GB. Samsung F3 1TB, Seagate 2TB LP Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 LG M2352 23" IPS 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair VX550 Lian Li PC-P50WB KEF iQ10 driven by TCA Gizmo source by Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 2500k Gigabyte Z77X-D3H MSI R9 270 2x4GB G.skill Ripjaws X 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 250GB. Samsung F3 1TB, Seagate 2TB LP Corsair H80 Windows 8.1 LG M2352 23" IPS 
PowerCaseAudio
Corsair VX550 Lian Li PC-P50WB KEF iQ10 driven by TCA Gizmo source by Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
I don't really need anything for a headset, I'm fine with my headset quality right now, this system that I want to set up is basically for loud, quality sound that will rumble my entire dorm floor yet maintain crisp, clear quality.

Like I stated I have the Logitech z623's right now, and they don't have enough boom or audio quality, my budget is (At the very most $500) around $400. Is it just a gamble with all these mixed parts? It seems like you are saying that there is none that's better than the other, they are all the same?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sound Cards and Computer Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Sound Cards and Computer Audio › Speaker Advice