Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › My I7 3770K Delidding Adventure!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My I7 3770K Delidding Adventure! - Page 4

Poll Results: Have you de-lidded your every day CPU successfully?

 
  • 52% (20)
    Yes
  • 47% (18)
    No
38 Total Votes  
post #31 of 45
Omg, you are that duude from youtube!! biggrin.gif
Anyways, got same problem, if you some how figure out how to revive those two slots - please let me know!!! thumb.gif

I hope this saber is your last asus. For me it's totally last.

I almost have little devilish thoughts to put that bastard in Owen and melt all that marketing plastic off. devil.gif
post #32 of 45
Thread Starter 
I've updated the OP:
1. Progress
2. Video
3. Temps

Hope it helps smile.gif!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CeleronS View Post

Omg, you are that duude from youtube!! biggrin.gif
Anyways, got same problem, if you some how figure out how to revive those two slots - please let me know!!! thumb.gif

I hope this saber is your last asus. For me it's totally last.

I almost have little devilish thoughts to put that bastard in Owen and melt all that marketing plastic off. devil.gif

haha hey man!

There was nothing more I could do to be honest. The Z77 is dead in those two slots. Only option is to solder and/or to buy another board.
I would suggest trying to reflash the BIOS - PM me we can discuss it between us smile.gif
post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

4. I realised one of my cores is much cooler than the other 3 cores. For some reason Core 0 is around 8c cooler. I'm not complaining and I'm actually happy with it being COOLER than HOTTER

Here's a screenshot of my Core Temp after quite a few hours of folding a week ago:

That's actually to be expected. Core #0 has only one heat generating source next to it, while all other cores have 2 (the cores next to it, resp. the IMC for core #3).
So unless you have the iGPU activated and it's under load, the first core will amost always be the coolest one (assuming that the TIM/IHS/etc is applied correctly).

This picture explains it pretty well: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
post #34 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonium View Post

That's actually to be expected. Core #0 has only one heat generating source next to it, while all other cores have 2 (the cores next to it, resp. the IMC for core #3).
So unless you have the iGPU activated and it's under load, the first core will amost always be the coolest one (assuming that the TIM/IHS/etc is applied correctly).

This picture explains it pretty well: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Indeed - worked it out after a while why it was cooler smile.gif
Cheers anyway +rep
post #35 of 45
Is it possible the RAM sockets are just not making good contact with the specific RAM sticks. I've had this happen, where one set would not work but another would make contact and work fine. Or were you able to verify via voltage that the board isn't producing voltage to those slots?

Just thinking out loud... glad to hear the i7 is fine. That's a lot of money to throw away. I just delided using the hammer vice method and it worked easily the first time. Deliding is the way to go for sure.
     
Reply
     
Reply
post #36 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post

Is it possible the RAM sockets are just not making good contact with the specific RAM sticks. I've had this happen, where one set would not work but another would make contact and work fine. Or were you able to verify via voltage that the board isn't producing voltage to those slots?

Just thinking out loud... glad to hear the i7 is fine. That's a lot of money to throw away. I just delided using the hammer vice method and it worked easily the first time. Deliding is the way to go for sure.

thanks for the input.
Yeah at the time I tried everything.
No matter what I did, didn't help.
post #37 of 45
I think the vice method is the way to go. I only tried it once. It worked like a charm, and easy. I'm not nervous about doing it the same way again if I ever need to. Hopefully Intel will stop using this stupid paste method in the future. The solder was a way better method. And if they insist on using a cheap TIM at least use something worthwhile, not the crap that they used on the 3570 and 3770k chips.
     
Reply
     
Reply
post #38 of 45
So your mem controller was working after all and it was just the dumb board?
     
Reply
     
Reply
post #39 of 45
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleaxe View Post

So your mem controller was working after all and it was just the dumb board?

indeed.
All about the board, nothing to do with the CPU.
I can tell you I was running 16GB with 4 sticks fine on another board.

As for the vice method - yes seems to be the best way now - although that said, when I did it, the vice and hammer method wasn't ever done by anyone at that stage.
post #40 of 45
Well. that's a relief.

I don't know who was first to try and smack the IHS off on a vice with a hammer, but that was nerve wracking I'm sure.

And I'm glad they did it.

I wondered if you de-lidded before the vice method was posted here.
     
Reply
     
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › My I7 3770K Delidding Adventure!