Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › 2 SATA 2 drives in RAID 0 or 1 SATA 3 drive non raid?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2 SATA 2 drives in RAID 0 or 1 SATA 3 drive non raid?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
So the dilemma I am faced with in my build which is an ITX build, is that my mobo only has 2 Sata 3 ports and 2 sata 2 ports. I want to run some SSDs in raid for OS and some Seagate Momentus XTs in raid for storage and programs. my board also has 2 mSata ports which are sata 2. my question is which drives should I put where?

Should I run 2 SSDs off the SATA3 in raid 0 and the Momentus XTs off the SATA2 in raid 0 or would I be better off just having one of each drive and not running them in raid at all?

OR

Should I run 2 mSATA SSDs in raid and run the momentus XTs off the SATA 3

The mobo I am using is the ASRock Z77E-ITX board, I plan on using the SATA3 750GB versions of the momentus XTs and I am open to suggestions for ssds/ mSATA ssds.

Thanks
post #2 of 12
I suggest running all of them separate and skipping RAID. Your SSD is already going to be blazing fast, so RAID 0 will increase performance but I don't think you'll notice it.
:D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [4.5ghz] Asus P8Z77 V-Pro Asus GTX 760 2X4gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB EZEX X 2 [RAID 0] [WD Black 640GB][2 X WD Blue 1TB EZEX] Corsair H80i Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 23" Corsair CX430W v2 Corsair Graphite 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
:D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [4.5ghz] Asus P8Z77 V-Pro Asus GTX 760 2X4gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB EZEX X 2 [RAID 0] [WD Black 640GB][2 X WD Blue 1TB EZEX] Corsair H80i Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 23" Corsair CX430W v2 Corsair Graphite 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
On that board you can only run one mSATA drive, the other mSATA port can't be used for a SSD - If you want the fastest speeds then you would run the SSD's on the SATA3 ports and the HDD's on the SATA2 in RAID0 if thats really what you want to do (though I would just stick with a single SSD as I don't think you're going to see a huge performance difference in real life applications vs. RAID0)
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip94 View Post

I suggest running all of them separate and skipping RAID. Your SSD is already going to be blazing fast, so RAID 0 will increase performance but I don't think you'll notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post

On that board you can only run one mSATA drive, the other mSATA port can't be used for a SSD - If you want the fastest speeds then you would run the SSD's on the SATA3 ports and the HDD's on the SATA2 in RAID0 if thats really what you want to do (though I would just stick with a single SSD as I don't think you're going to see a huge performance difference in real life applications vs. RAID0)

Thanks, what about running the ssd off sata3, a momentus xt off sata 3 for games and programs and another one off sata 2 for media? I think that makes the most of the speed available
post #5 of 12
Keep all your SSD's on SATA 3 and all your HDD's on SATA 2. You'll get the best speed this way.
:D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [4.5ghz] Asus P8Z77 V-Pro Asus GTX 760 2X4gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB EZEX X 2 [RAID 0] [WD Black 640GB][2 X WD Blue 1TB EZEX] Corsair H80i Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 23" Corsair CX430W v2 Corsair Graphite 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
:D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [4.5ghz] Asus P8Z77 V-Pro Asus GTX 760 2X4gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB EZEX X 2 [RAID 0] [WD Black 640GB][2 X WD Blue 1TB EZEX] Corsair H80i Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 23" Corsair CX430W v2 Corsair Graphite 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip94 View Post

Keep all your SSD's on SATA 3 and all your HDD's on SATA 2. You'll get the best speed this way.

Yes but the Momentus Xts are hybrid drives so they are much faster than HDDs so it would be best to not use any raid and put 1 ssd on s3 and 1 momentus xt on s3 and another momentus xt on s2
post #7 of 12
I used both (2) Crucial 120 Gb M4 SSDs & (2) Seagate Momentus XT 500 Gb Hybrids. The (2) SSDs on RAID 0 connected to SATA 3 ports. The other (2) Hybrids on JBOD connected to SATA 2 ports on a 2.5" backplane (removable). Having used the Hybrids in the past on RAID 0 for a long time, it's still very slow compared to a real SSD (what you read about it is just hype cuz it's not fast at all). It's best to put the (2) SSDs on RAID 0 connected to SATA 3 ports but I don't think it makes any noticeable difference in speed if you don't put it on RAID configuration at all. It may on benchmarking but in real sense I doubt if you notice any difference in speed at all on daily use.

If you have an SSD with 240 Gb of total storage, it's best to put everything on it (games, programs, etc. ) except your image & movie files. I've got a lot of programs on my SSDs & I only used up about 120 Gb. 240 Gb I think is the sweet spot of SSD storage. Lower than 240 Gb (ex. 120 Gb, 64 Gb) you need to put some of your programs on your Hybrids cuz it won't be enough.
Edited by Cheaptrick - 2/14/13 at 6:34am
Old Mix
(17 items)
 
Gamecube
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K MSI Z97I Gaming AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 ... 
OSPowerCase
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Full... Corsair Obsidian 250D Mini-ITX Motherboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Old Mix
(17 items)
 
Gamecube
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K MSI Z97I Gaming AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 ... 
OSPowerCase
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Full... Corsair Obsidian 250D Mini-ITX Motherboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnerphotos View Post

Yes but the Momentus Xts are hybrid drives so they are much faster than HDDs so it would be best to not use any raid and put 1 ssd on s3 and 1 momentus xt on s3 and another momentus xt on s2

I missed that you've got 2 XT's. In that case

SSD- Sata III
XT - Sata III
XT - Sata II
:D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [4.5ghz] Asus P8Z77 V-Pro Asus GTX 760 2X4gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB EZEX X 2 [RAID 0] [WD Black 640GB][2 X WD Blue 1TB EZEX] Corsair H80i Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 23" Corsair CX430W v2 Corsair Graphite 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
:D
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K [4.5ghz] Asus P8Z77 V-Pro Asus GTX 760 2X4gb Corsair XMS3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB EZEX X 2 [RAID 0] [WD Black 640GB][2 X WD Blue 1TB EZEX] Corsair H80i Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 23" Corsair CX430W v2 Corsair Graphite 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnerphotos View Post

Yes but the Momentus Xts are hybrid drives so they are much faster than HDDs so it would be best to not use any raid and put 1 ssd on s3 and 1 momentus xt on s3 and another momentus xt on s2

Don't be fooled by Hybrid SSDs. They're not that fast. They're about the same as regular HDDs. Having used them for more than a year now, the only real benefit of Hybrids is the size. It's smaller & will fit nicely on portable storage drive enclosures. If you don't plan on using them as portable drives it's best to get just regular HDDs. It's cheaper & have more Gb per storage. Here's my benchmark results on both SSDs & Hybrids.

SSDs on RAID 0


Hybrids on JBOD




Even if you put the (2) Hybrids on RAID 0 as I did before, it's still still very slow compared to a real SSD. My experienced with them is that they're about the same if not slightly faster than a regular HDD (with slightly higher benchmark result). The newest Hybrid (750 Gb) is SATA 3.0 with twice the cache. It's slightly faster than the original but still it's way slower than a real SSD. Those Seagate Youtube videos about the Hybrid doesn't really tell the whole truth about them - they're slow as regular HDDs.
Edited by Cheaptrick - 2/14/13 at 8:49am
Old Mix
(17 items)
 
Gamecube
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K MSI Z97I Gaming AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 ... 
OSPowerCase
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Full... Corsair Obsidian 250D Mini-ITX Motherboard 
  hide details  
Reply
Old Mix
(17 items)
 
Gamecube
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4770K MSI Z97I Gaming AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Video Card Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 ... 
OSPowerCase
Microsoft Windows 10 Home  Cooler Master V700 700W 80+ Gold Certified Full... Corsair Obsidian 250D Mini-ITX Motherboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaptrick View Post

I used both (2) Crucial 120 Gb M4 SSDs & (2) Seagate Momentus XT 500 Gb Hybrids. The (2) SSDs on RAID 0 connected to SATA 3 ports. The other (2) Hybrids on JBOD connected to SATA 2 ports on a 2.5" backplane (removable). Having used the Hybrids in the past on RAID 0 for a long time, it's still very slow compared to a real SSD (what you read about it is just hype cuz it's not fast at all). It's best to put the (2) SSDs on RAID 0 connected to SATA 3 ports but I don't think it makes any noticeable difference in speed if you don't put it on RAID configuration at all. It may on benchmarking but in real sense I doubt if you notice any difference in speed at all on daily use.

If you have an SSD with 240 Gb of total storage, it's best to put everything on it (games, programs, etc. ) except your image & movie files. I've got a lot of programs on my SSDs & I only used up about 120 Gb. 240 Gb I think is the sweet spot of SSD storage. Lower than 240 Gb (ex. 120 Gb, 64 Gb) you need to put some of your programs on your Hybrids cuz it won't be enough.

Thanks,

I think what I will go with is a 240GB SSD and a Momentus XT to start with and I can always add another couple of XTs
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › 2 SATA 2 drives in RAID 0 or 1 SATA 3 drive non raid?