Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [The Verge] Sony PlayStation 4 controller prototype reportedly leaked in new photo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[The Verge] Sony PlayStation 4 controller prototype reportedly leaked in new photo - Page 8

post #71 of 80
Quote:
Now that is a sexy controller. Backlight please! biggrin.gif
Cerberus
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) Gigabyte GTX 1060 OC Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung F3 Samsung 840 EVO Corsair H50 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Samsung PX2370 Acer XB270HU Samsung PX2370 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM550 Corsair 650D Logitech G502 Custom 
AudioAudioAudio
Astro A50 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 AudioTechnica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
Cerberus
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) Gigabyte GTX 1060 OC Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung F3 Samsung 840 EVO Corsair H50 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Samsung PX2370 Acer XB270HU Samsung PX2370 Logitech G710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM550 Corsair 650D Logitech G502 Custom 
AudioAudioAudio
Astro A50 Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 AudioTechnica ATH-M50 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post

I will let you know this. I do have both the PlayStation and Xbox and I much preferred the Xbox controller because it truly is more ergonomic. It's a lot more comfortable to use And a lot easier on the hands.

The pure and simple fact is this the Xbox controller is far superior to anything that Sony can come up with now and in the future.

Fact based on oppinion. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say that reaching the D-circle on the 360 controller isn't as comfortable when using both sticks as it would be from the default hand position on the DS3. It's as simple as that. I'm glad it works for you, but you're being moronic if you think that your opinion is the be-all end-all.

Not to mention the D-Circle itself.... which is plainly horrible. It's far to easy to hit the wrong direction. The DS3's split buttons are the best thing since the NES's original D-Pad. Couple that with the issue i mentioned above.. and you have the reason why I occasionally feel like throwing my 360 controller off my balcony.
Edited by Purger - 2/18/13 at 5:50pm
The Duke
(12 items)
 
Little Faithful
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB A-Data XPG Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM WD Blue 500GB 3.5" Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Rosewill Hive 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Rosewill ARMOR-EVO ATX Full Tower Sidewinder X5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 530 Asus Saphire HD 4870 1GB 2 GB Essential 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB Caviar Green Toshiba DVD+RW Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
The Duke
(12 items)
 
Little Faithful
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB A-Data XPG Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM WD Blue 500GB 3.5" Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Rosewill Hive 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Rosewill ARMOR-EVO ATX Full Tower Sidewinder X5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 530 Asus Saphire HD 4870 1GB 2 GB Essential 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB Caviar Green Toshiba DVD+RW Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 80
anybody remember the old snes controllers??? those were very uncomfotable but I would sit there and play games hours and hours a day and never complain about how the controller felt.....
The Shogun
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 AMD SAPPHIRE 290X 8 GB Gskill Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 64 GB/ Seagate 1TB corsair H50 Windows 7 Ult. Yamakasi Catleap 27" 2560 x 1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX 750 v2 Rosewell Challenger Logitech G500 
Audio
Logitech Z313 
  hide details  
Reply
The Shogun
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k ASRock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3 AMD SAPPHIRE 290X 8 GB Gskill Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial M4 64 GB/ Seagate 1TB corsair H50 Windows 7 Ult. Yamakasi Catleap 27" 2560 x 1440p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair TX 750 v2 Rosewell Challenger Logitech G500 
Audio
Logitech Z313 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattbag View Post

anybody remember the old snes controllers??? those were very uncomfotable but I would sit there and play games hours and hours a day and never complain about how the controller felt.....

Welcome to the Internet everyone hates everything
post #75 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digikid View Post

I will let you know this. I do have both the PlayStation and Xbox and I much preferred the Xbox controller because it truly is more ergonomic. It's a lot more comfortable to use And a lot easier on the hands.

The pure and simple fact is this the Xbox controller is far superior to anything that Sony can come up with now and in the future.

Fact based on oppinion. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone when I say that reaching the D-circle on the 360 controller isn't as comfortable when using both sticks as it would be from the default hand position on the DS3. It's as simple as that. I'm glad it works for you, but you're being moronic if you think that your opinion is the be-all end-all.

Not to mention the D-Circle itself.... which is plainly horrible. It's far to easy to hit the wrong direction. The DS3's split buttons are the best thing since the NES's original D-Pad. Couple that with the issue i mentioned above.. and you have the reason why I occasionally feel like throwing my 360 controller off my balcony.

Ergonomically speaking, we want the control pads sitting where our thumbs naturally rest, that would be the D-pad on the Dual Shock, and the left analog stick on the 360. Ideally there would be no secondary control pad at all. Putting anything in the middle of the controller is just silly, if you must have a second control pad it should be directly underneath the first, and the user should shift their entire hand to use it. For example, the Dreamcast and Wii U actually come pretty close to that ideal.
The Wii U pro controller is interesting in that it places priority on the analog sticks for both thumbs, which pretty much makes it a dedicated shooter controller, but it messes up in the button/D-pad placement (not that it matters, see below).

As far as the D-pad itself goes, I actually glued a large coin to my Dreamcast controller to make it easier to hit the angles in Soul Caliber (I put at least a hundred hours into that game), and I did the same with pretty much every other D-pad I had back in that era. For the last 15 years I've been wondering why we don't have D-pads with dozens of actuation points around a circle, as it would be the perfect compromise between the quickness of a D-pad and the precision of an analog stick.

The 360 D-pad may be terrible, but that's more because it's all mushy and has too much travel, you don't get a distinct "on-off" response pushing the buttons. Not that it matters anymore, since all it's used for is menu navigation. If fighting games (the only genre where it really matters) are that important you've probably got an arcade pad, regardless of which system you use.
post #76 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHighDPI View Post

Ergonomically speaking, we want the control pads sitting where our thumbs naturally rest, that would be the D-pad on the Dual Shock, and the left analog stick on the 360. Ideally there would be no secondary control pad at all. Putting anything in the middle of the controller is just silly, if you must have a second control pad it should be directly underneath the first, and the user should shift their entire hand to use it. For example, the Dreamcast and Wii U actually come pretty close to that ideal.
The Wii U pro controller is interesting in that it places priority on the analog sticks for both thumbs, which pretty much makes it a dedicated shooter controller, but it messes up in the button/D-pad placement (not that it matters, see below).

As far as the D-pad itself goes, I actually glued a large coin to my Dreamcast controller to make it easier to hit the angles in Soul Caliber (I put at least a hundred hours into that game), and I did the same with pretty much every other D-pad I had back in that era. For the last 15 years I've been wondering why we don't have D-pads with dozens of actuation points around a circle, as it would be the perfect compromise between the quickness of a D-pad and the precision of an analog stick.

The 360 D-pad may be terrible, but that's more because it's all mushy and has too much travel, you don't get a distinct "on-off" response pushing the buttons. Not that it matters anymore, since all it's used for is menu navigation. If fighting games (the only genre where it really matters) are that important you've probably got an arcade pad, regardless of which system you use.

I'm an average sized guy, and I've noticed that my hands are naturally offset just a tad on the 360, to compensate for the stick being further up the controller. This is a subconcious thing, I never thought about it. My hand just does it to get a comfortable full range of motion on the left joystick. Now, you don't have to be an anatomy major to know that human thumbs pose up (towards the fingers), where the DS3 pad is, much more comfortably than they do down (towards the wrist) as they do with the 360 pad.

Your reference to button mashing simple-combo type fighting games is very telling. You're right, you don't use the joypad. However, in FPS type games, that horrible ridged out-of-place directional pad can get you killed. It has for me, many times. I lose a couple seconds, because it's out of my thumb's natural range of motion (and if you try this, watch your palm, it has to raise away from the controller), and my thumb catches a ridge, pressing the wrong function. Bang, I'm dead. Do that a couple times in the match, and I have to quit. I don't have that problem with DS3.

If I'm an average sized guy at 5'11", with porportional hands, I think I speak for a large amount of people. I played with a larger friend over the weekend, at 6'5", and he has issues with it, albeit not as bad. Now, if you are looking at the younger crowd (which generate a large percentage of console sales), the issue is also more likely to be prevelent.
Edited by Purger - 2/19/13 at 6:30am
The Duke
(12 items)
 
Little Faithful
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB A-Data XPG Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM WD Blue 500GB 3.5" Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Rosewill Hive 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Rosewill ARMOR-EVO ATX Full Tower Sidewinder X5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 530 Asus Saphire HD 4870 1GB 2 GB Essential 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB Caviar Green Toshiba DVD+RW Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
The Duke
(12 items)
 
Little Faithful
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB A-Data XPG Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM WD Blue 500GB 3.5" Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Rosewill Hive 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Rosewill ARMOR-EVO ATX Full Tower Sidewinder X5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 530 Asus Saphire HD 4870 1GB 2 GB Essential 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB Caviar Green Toshiba DVD+RW Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by HybridCore View Post

I'm a bit meh with the X-Box controller. The D-pad is unusable and the triggers feel...clunky, large, and unwieldy. I like the Dualshock controllers better.

THIS^^

The d-pad renders professional Tekken out as the dpad is clunky and sloppy at best for precision play.

I dont even like how the dpad is shaping up on this mock model
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2670 @ 2.8Ghz m4600 m5100 @ 1100c/1500m 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
c300 128GB SSD 2TB FireCuda 7mm 2TB Firecuda 7mm 1TB 5400rpm 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
750GB 5400rpm Windows 10 x64  1920x1080 @90hz 150w 
Mouse
Corsair M40 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 80
Found this pic http://files.tested.com/photos/2013/02/21/45189-ps4_teaser.jpg and sure looks like the touch pad will flip open given the curvature of the back side and the gap at the bottom. I am curious as to whether there are more surprises under that panel or if it is just where the batteries go.
post #79 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post

Found this pic http://files.tested.com/photos/2013/02/21/45189-ps4_teaser.jpg and sure looks like the touch pad will flip open given the curvature of the back side and the gap at the bottom. I am curious as to whether there are more surprises under that panel or if it is just where the batteries go.

That's actually a pretty sexy angle! I don't think (and hope they don't) Sony will go back to a battery pack style controller. The DS3 held up nice, and you didn't have to worry about spending extra like with the 360 controller and battery packs. And also for me, I don't have to worry about my 6 year old and his battery raiding habbits with my DS3s.
The Duke
(12 items)
 
Little Faithful
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB A-Data XPG Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM WD Blue 500GB 3.5" Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Rosewill Hive 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Rosewill ARMOR-EVO ATX Full Tower Sidewinder X5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 530 Asus Saphire HD 4870 1GB 2 GB Essential 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB Caviar Green Toshiba DVD+RW Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
The Duke
(12 items)
 
Little Faithful
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB A-Data XPG Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM WD Blue 500GB 3.5" Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Rosewill Hive 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Rosewill ARMOR-EVO ATX Full Tower Sidewinder X5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 530 Asus Saphire HD 4870 1GB 2 GB Essential 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOS
WD 500 GB Caviar Green Toshiba DVD+RW Windows 7 Home Premium OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post

Found this pic http://files.tested.com/photos/2013/02/21/45189-ps4_teaser.jpg and sure looks like the touch pad will flip open given the curvature of the back side and the gap at the bottom. I am curious as to whether there are more surprises under that panel or if it is just where the batteries go.
PS4 controller's design likes onlive controller but this looks more sexy! biggrin.gif

Thank you for link of PS4 Controller picture!
SCYTHE COOLER
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6200BE 3.8Ghz MSI 970A-G46 SLI | GTS 250 1GB 16GB DDR3 RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3TB | 2TB | HW NB-500GB  ASHURA-HSF | 2X14CM | PnP Win8 64bit |  
MonitorPowerCase
LG 60LN5600 | 1080p Corsair 1000w HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
SCYTHE COOLER
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-6200BE 3.8Ghz MSI 970A-G46 SLI | GTS 250 1GB 16GB DDR3 RAM 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3TB | 2TB | HW NB-500GB  ASHURA-HSF | 2X14CM | PnP Win8 64bit |  
MonitorPowerCase
LG 60LN5600 | 1080p Corsair 1000w HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [The Verge] Sony PlayStation 4 controller prototype reportedly leaked in new photo