Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [gamezone] Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions makes the jump to Android
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[gamezone] Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions makes the jump to Android - Page 3

post #21 of 30
Got this for free with PS+ on my Vita. Plus I own the original for PSP, plus the ORIGINAL original for PS1.

Glad to know more people get to enjoy this phenomenal piece of classic gaming history though. Next they need to port Castlevania: Symphony of the Night to Android. thumb.gif

Then onto the Suikoden series...
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 30
Some to say, old game good good story n insteristing gameplay, but now day game just so-so... just go to the grafik, n yes when i see a new game rather than short one, n maximaze their grafic. *i'm sorry if i'm wrong rolleyes.gif

When i see FFT in PSP, wow that a lot improvement n better than in PSone. n now... ahhh can't wait this to out biggrin.gif
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

Then onto the Suikoden series...

I would give my left arm for a PSN release of Suikoden II. *sighs at Konami*
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harobi View Post

It's in no way a spinoff... doh.gif

Final Fantasy Tactics is a spin-off of Final Fantasy. Pretty obvious, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post

doh.gif did someone just call FF tactics a spinoff?

Accurately, yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post

that's why kiddies shouldn't talk about real games. just go back to your COD and leave FF Tactics alone. it's no way a spinoff.

Brilliant.

No, wait. The opposite of that. Look up what the word "spin-off" means before flaming others for using it correctly, please. Here, I'll help you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster View Post

spin–off noun \ˈspin-ˌȯf\

Definition of SPIN-OFF

1: the distribution by a business to its stockholders of particular assets and especially of stock of another company; also : the new company created by such a distribution

2: a collateral or derived product or effect : by-product; also : a number of such products

3: something that is imitative or derivative of an earlier work, product, or establishment; especially : a television show starring a character popular in a secondary role of an earlier show

So tell me, if you would, in what way Final Fantasy Tactics is not a spin-off.
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars Unseen View Post

So tell me, if you would, in what way Final Fantasy Tactics is not a spin-off.

Because it does not star a character that got secondary treatment in another game.

Because it is not derivative of anything else that has ever been in the final fantasy universe.

Because it was a brand new type of game, starring brand new characters, in a brand new game world, that simply happened to be named as part of the Final Fantasy series.

It had absolutely nothing to do with any of the previous games at all. It is not a spin-off. Let it go.
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

Because it does not star a character that got secondary treatment in another game.

Because it is not derivative of anything else that has ever been in the final fantasy universe.

Because it was a brand new type of game, starring brand new characters, in a brand new game world, that simply happened to be named as part of the Final Fantasy series.

It had absolutely nothing to do with any of the previous games at all. It is not a spin-off. Let it go.

What he said, logic FTW. +REP to you kind sir.
Silent Screamer
(15 items)
 
SUPER SLACR
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 24/7 ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 980ti G1 Gaming @1512MHz core/8250... 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 SSD 500GB Samsung Spinpoint XSPC Raystorm CPU & EKWB GPU w/ 140mm & 420mm Rads Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Yamakasi Catleap Logitech G610 Brown PC Power & Cooling 750W Enermax Fulmo GT 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G402 Glorious PC Gaming Race XXL Extended ASUS XONAR 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.5GHz EVGA 780I EVGA 8800GT SLI OCZ 2x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2x500GB SATA II Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" Saitek Eclipse PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec P182 
MouseMouse Pad
Microsoft Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent Screamer
(15 items)
 
SUPER SLACR
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz 24/7 ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Gigabyte GTX 980ti G1 Gaming @1512MHz core/8250... 8GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Crucial M4 SSD 500GB Samsung Spinpoint XSPC Raystorm CPU & EKWB GPU w/ 140mm & 420mm Rads Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" Yamakasi Catleap Logitech G610 Brown PC Power & Cooling 750W Enermax Fulmo GT 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G402 Glorious PC Gaming Race XXL Extended ASUS XONAR 5.1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 @ 3.5GHz EVGA 780I EVGA 8800GT SLI OCZ 2x2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2x500GB SATA II Samsung Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 226BW 22" Saitek Eclipse PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec P182 
MouseMouse Pad
Microsoft Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 30
This is my favorite Final Fantasy game and the only one I finished. The question is should I buy it for my iPad or Nexus 7?
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

Because it does not star a character that got secondary treatment in another game.

Because it is not derivative of anything else that has ever been in the final fantasy universe.

Because it was a brand new type of game, starring brand new characters, in a brand new game world, that simply happened to be named as part of the Final Fantasy series.

It had absolutely nothing to do with any of the previous games at all. It is not a spin-off. Let it go.

Final Fantasy Tactics is derivative of Final Fantasy. It's not a direct sequel like the proper number series, yet it does not stand on it's own, for what would FFT be if Final Fantasy did not exist? Do you know the answer? I know the answer. Let me give you a couple of hints:




Give up? The answer is Tactics Ogre. Final Fantasy Tactics is in actuality a Tactics Ogre game dressed up in and inspired by thematic elements of the Final Fantasy series. If inspiration were all it took, then your argument would have merit. But that isn't all it took. It took thematic elements and and the franchise name. Keep in mind that -barring X-2 and XIII-2/3- all of the numbered Final Fantasy games star brand new characters in a brand new game world. What they share are thematic elements and similar(though evolving throughout the series) game mechanics. Final Fantasy Tactics took one, but not the other, and as it was clearly not intended to be part of the proper Final Fantasy series, must be considered derivative, and therefore a spin-off just as Fallout Tactics is.

Is there some inherent problem you people have with spin-offs? FFT was a good game. Still is if you ignore the highly exploitable combat system. There is nothing bad about spin-offs. FFT was a cash grab too. How not? It was a game created by the Tactics Ogre team and played like a Tactics Ogre game, yet it was called Final Fantasy Tactics. Guess which franchise was more profitable? But none of that matters, because -once again- Final Fantasy Tactics is a good game.
Edited by Scars Unseen - 2/16/13 at 10:57am
post #29 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scars Unseen View Post

Final Fantasy Tactics is derivative of Final Fantasy. It's not a direct sequel like the proper number series, yet it does not stand on it's own, for what would FFT be if Final Fantasy did not exist? Do you know the answer? I know the answer. Let me give you a couple of hints:

Give up? The answer is Tactics Ogre. Final Fantasy Tactics is in actuality a Tactics Ogre game dressed up in and inspired by thematic elements of the Final Fantasy series. If inspiration were all it took, then your argument would have merit. But that isn't all it took. It took thematic elements and and the franchise name. Keep in mind that -barring X-2 and XIII-2/3- all of the numbered Final Fantasy games star brand new characters in a brand new game world. What they share are thematic elements and similar(though evolving throughout the series) game mechanics. Final Fantasy Tactics took one, but not the other, and as it was clearly not intended to be part of the proper Final Fantasy series, must be considered derivative, and therefore a spin-off just as Fallout Tactics is.

Is there some inherent problem you people have with spin-offs? FFT was a good game. Still is if you ignore the highly exploitable combat system. There is nothing bad about spin-offs. FFT was a cash grab too. How not? It was a game created by the Tactics Ogre team and played like a Tactics Ogre game, yet it was called Final Fantasy Tactics. Guess which franchise was more profitable? But none of that matters, because -once again- Final Fantasy Tactics is a good game.

Your argument is completely circular. It depends on its own validity.

FFT is not a Tactics Ogre game. Yes, it was designed by the same guy who did Tactics Ogre after he left Quest to work for Square, but saying it's just Tactics Ogre dressed in Final Fantasy clothes makes it sound like Square came in partway through production and said "HEY! This is cool! Make this a Final Fantasy game!" which is patently false, and intellectually dishonest.

FFT was not a cash grab. It was made because a successful game designer with a successful formula came to work at a company with a successful game series. Why in the world would Square hire a game designer and then NOT utilize him/her to do what had previously been so successful? FFT was a cash grab only insofar as every video game EVER is also a cash grab. Again, you are implying a negative connotation there.

FFT is NOT a spin-off! NONE of the Final Fantasy games are direct sequels (other than X-2 and XIII-2, but those didn't even get their own numbers). None of the games share anything other than basic themes and/or references. Not even the mechanics stay the same from game to game. Turn-based, real-time, classic leveling up, "purchasing" new skills/stats, classes, open-world, completely linear, etc. The formula changes, almost drastically, every single time. The Final Fantasy series has been the butt of quite a few jokes for that exact reason.

FFT was the beginning of a new series, not the spawn of another one. It could have stood completely on its own without any Final Fantasy series references at all. They were most likely just thrown in to appease fans. The Final Fantasy Tactics series is closer to a metaseries than a spin-off, but is best defined as its own series.

Dissidia Final Fantasy is a spin-off. Dirge of Cerberus is a spin-off. Kingdom Hearts is a spin-off (EDIT: Sorry, I take that back. I thought it had previously-established FF characters in it. EDIT EDIT: I take it back again, it does have previously-established Final Fantasy characters in it). I'll say it one last time: Final Fantasy Tactics was a completely brand new game world populated by brand new characters, and was the start of its own series of games.
Edited by DrBrogbo - 2/16/13 at 11:42am
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 30
^^^^Im still wishing someone would port a couple of the Tactics Ogre games to Android
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700K AS Rock Z170 OC Formula Titan X Pascal 2050MHz 64GB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
950 EVO m.2 OS drive 850 EVO 1TB games drive Intel 730 series 500GB games drive Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA G3 1kw 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
MrSpeakers Alpha Prime 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(17 items)
 
Gaming PC
(20 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
7700K AS Rock Z170 OC Formula Titan X Pascal 2050MHz 64GB DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
950 EVO m.2 OS drive 850 EVO 1TB games drive Intel 730 series 500GB games drive Custom water cooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro x64 AMH A399U E-Element mechanical, black switches, Vortex b... EVGA G3 1kw 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Lian-Li PC-V1000L Redragon M901 LH Labs Pulse X Infinity DAC Custom built balanced tube amp with SS diamond ... 
Audio
MrSpeakers Alpha Prime 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [gamezone] Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions makes the jump to Android